Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - I read the FAQ - I didnt not see the answers to these questions: Thanks

1. I've seen several people with the trident placed on what 'looks like' the bottom of their cabinet - yet I have heard they need to be mounted above the sump - are they doing it incorrectly - or can the trident be placed on the floor level.
2. What is the story with the ease at which the Trident can be started/stopped. Ie - some have said one needs to wait 2 weeks or so after starting up before getting 'reliable' measurements - so I m curious when doing maintenance - with a hot-swap for example - how long do you have to get the unit in your tank to trust the results - and once it comes back - how long does it take to get back online? If one is going to do a 'hot swap' my assumption would be (am I right or wrong) - that the unit would have to have a deposit or something before you would ship a unit on a hot swap basis?

1. Answered above by me. Maybe 20 posts or so back.
2a. The Trident will begin to have consistent results after a few tests. However, to do automated dosing control we recommend customers first establish consistency and understanding of their tank. That is where 7 days or so comes from. You, and/or others may be conflating the two.
2b. As stated in the Trident product FAQ linked at the top of the page, further details on factory maintenance options will come at a later time. That includes the details of an advanced purchase option.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2a. The Trident will begin to have consistent results after a few tests. However, to do automated dosing control we recommend customers first establish consistency and understanding of their tank. That is where 7 days or so comes from. You, and/or others may be conflating the two.
2b. As stated in the Trident product FAQ linked at the top of the page, further details on factory maintenance options will come at a later time. That includes the details of an advanced purchase option.

Thanks - So - the people that have their units mounted at the same level as their skimmers for example are 'wrong' - I will search for your answer to #1 again but I didnt see it (or I wouldn't have asked). As to 2 b - I wasn't aware that the 'advanced purchase option' was the 'hot swap' option so thanks for clarifying. Since I'm not planning on dosing automatically based on the values - I'm assuming then that its a trivial amount of time to restart/set up a device.?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All test water is always fresh from the tank at that time.

This has been answered. Probably 20 posts back. Please people read through this thread and become informed before asking questions already answered. It keeps the thread clean and it allows me to have the time necessary to get the new questions answered for you all.

Yes please do. A lot of questions being asked over and over again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PS - thanks - I know you answered question 1 a couple of posts back except you didnt answer my question - You said :The Trident has 5 feet of sample line tubing. You can mount it above your sump level.

What I'm asking is can you mount it at the level of the sump (i.e. outside the sump but the same level as the bottom of the sump - I had 'heard' it needed to be mounted 'above' the sump. Hope this makes sense

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - thanks - I know you answered question 1 a couple of posts back except you didnt answer my question - You said :The Trident has 5 feet of sample line tubing. You can mount it above your sump level.

What I'm asking is can you mount it at the level of the sump (i.e. outside the sump but the same level as the bottom of the sump - I had 'heard' it needed to be mounted 'above' the sump. Hope this makes sense
I guess I am confused. This is the question and answer.

upload_2019-5-9_21-7-32.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding a FAQ at the top of the thread for questions that aren’t already in the Official FAQ?
This is something we would like to do, yes. But it requires more work than I can manage right now as questions have to be rephrased, answers written, and everything should be formatted correctly. Additionally, I hate that R2R does not allow video links to not imbed as this would allow me to link to a timecode within a video for the answer. I think we will get there, but for now I can only do it inline in the responses with quotes. Sorry.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something we would like to do, yes. But it requires more work than I can manage right now as questions have to be rephrased, answers written, and everything should be formatted correctly. Additionally, I hate that R2R does not allow video links to not imbed as this would allow me to link to a timecode within a video for the answer. I think we will get there, but for now I can only do it inline in the responses with quotes. Sorry.

Hey Terrence, I am a GHL/Profilux guy and live in Europe. Having said this, I would like to congratulate you and the whole team for putting out such an AMAZING product such as the Trident! I believe it is a clear breakthrough in reefing and I salute you for it!

Contrary to a lot of comments, given what it does I believe it is really cheap compared to the competition. And i do hope that you make a healthy PROFIT out of it. Without profits there is no money for R&D, companies close down, jobs are lost, etc...

A product may be cheap for what it does without being affordable. Affordability is relative and dependes on each buyer.

For me a GHL KH Director with GHL doser will set me back 800€, only to test Alk and with all the maintenance around pH probes to keep it working. An Apex EL plus Trident will likely set me back about 1.200€. Those 400€ more get a full fledged controller, a couple of probes AND Calcium and Mag testing... this sounds like very good value in comparison (even if not really affordable).

For those who complain about being cheaper to do your manual tests... keep doing them. If you are happy with that that is great. It does not make the Trident (or the other automated measuring devices less amazing). And if a lot of early adopters go for it than maybe Gen2 will be more in line with your financial goals which is great!

Finally, I believe you did a great job with the communication around this product launch. As I said, I am a GHL user (and a happy one) but that does not mean I do not appreciate really innovative products so I followed the whole saga and am a subscriber to your channel. To me, taking the time to iron out the kinks and making sure that the product is ready for our tanks beats rushing out only to constantly update the product afterwards.

All the best!

(And please add a European Schuko EB8 soon [emoji4])

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you could use some help to man the switchboards :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Terrence, I am a GHL/Profilux guy and live in Europe. Having said this, I would like to congratulate you and the whole team for putting out such an AMAZING product such as the Trident! I believe it is a clear breakthrough in reefing and I salute you for it!

Contrary to a lot of comments, given what it does I believe it is really cheap compared to the competition. And i do hope that you make a healthy PROFIT out of it. Without profits there is no money for R&D, companies close down, jobs are lost, etc...

A product may be cheap for what it does without being affordable. Affordability is relative and dependes on each buyer.

For me a GHL KH Director with GHL doser will set me back 800€, only to test Alk and with all the maintenance around pH probes to keep it working. An Apex EL plus Trident will likely set me back about 1.200€. Those 400€ more get a full fledged controller, a couple of probes AND Calcium and Mag testing... this sounds like very good value in comparison (even if not really affordable).

For those who complain about being cheaper to do your manual tests... keep doing them. If you are happy with that that is great. It does not make the Trident (or the other automated measuring devices less amazing). And if a lot of early adopters go for it than maybe Gen2 will be more in line with your financial goals which is great!

Finally, I believe you did a great job with the communication around this product launch. As I said, I am a GHL user (and a happy one) but that does not mean I do not appreciate really innovative products so I followed the whole saga and am a subscriber to your channel. To me, taking the time to iron out the kinks and making sure that the product is ready for our tanks beats rushing out only to constantly update the product afterwards.

All the best!

(And please add a European Schuko EB8 soon [emoji4])

This is likely the best thing I’ve read in quite some time. Or due to the circumstances, maybe “long time” has been distorted.

Thanks!

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if the trident is accurate after a few tests, could I just run a few tests back to back to accelerate the process? Or set it to a high test frequency for a day?

As in, instead of running it with a 4/2/2 schedule for a few days before calibration, run it at 24/12/12 for one day and then calibrating?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence , I had ask and wasnt sure if it got lost in the clutter, but does the auto dosing/light schedule only work on radions with a WXM module, or will it work on all lights that r Apex ready?

Also, was that orange just orange soda, or did it have something else in it, LOL!!! You seemed a little jumpy after u started drinking it, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if the trident is accurate after a few tests, could I just run a few tests back to back to accelerate the process? Or set it to a high test frequency for a day?

As in, instead of running it with a 4/2/2 schedule for a few days before calibration, run it at 24/12/12 for one day and then calibrating?

I can’t see why this would be a problem. We did not dare make any suggestion like that though or we might be accused of trying to make people burn through reagent. I know, crazy.

Our suggestion is just install the Trident, let it do its thing for a bit and settle in, then run the calibration.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence , I had ask and wasnt sure if it got lost in the clutter, but does the auto dosing/light schedule only work on radions with a WXM module, or will it work on all lights that r Apex ready?

Also, was that orange just orange soda, or did it have something else in it, LOL!!! You seemed a little jumpy after u started drinking it, LOL!!!

That was our bad, sorry.

Trident FAQ (official)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=595650&share_pid=6032781&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/6032781/&share_type=t

Way too much sugar in that orange cream soda. A guy like me doesn’t need any more boost. That stuff was like NoS. I have two more bottles in the fridge if anyone wants them!

Last edited:

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see why this would be a problem. We did not dare make any suggestion like that though or we might be accused of trying to make people burn through reagent. I know, crazy.

Our suggestion is just install the Trident, let it do its thing for a bit and settle in, then run the calibration.

Roger that. Makes sense.

As far as I’m concerned, you guys are including a 2 month supply and calling it one. That makes a month’s worth available for.. experimentation. Thanks!

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following I got mine via brs to arrive on Monday! So excited. Terrence would you recommend when initially setting auto dose increasing testing frequency for a couple days and backing down after total stability is achieved?

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was our bad Trident FAQ (official)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=595650&share_pid=6032781&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/6032781/&share_type=t

Way too much sugar in that orange cream soda. A guy like me doesn’t need any more boost. That stuff was like NoS. I have two more bottles in the fridge if anyone wants them!

Would be awesome to have “daytime/nigh time” be determined my a set outlet/outlets power draw! Even a simple set daytime function would suffice

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have missed this but is there mounting bracket for the unit of does it need a shelf above the sump?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I am confused. This is the question and answer.

upload_2019-5-9_21-7-32.png
Edit - you're correct - you said above or below the sump - I didnt catch that part thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys and Gals, the rudeness to one another has got to stop. I know you are passionate but this is a hobby first and we're not two sides pitted against one another. We have always prided ourselves in being a friendly place to discuss and even debate reefs. Lately the Trident topic has caused a lot of animosity between members here. This is not the fault of Neptune rather a fault in ourselves for losing our temper and forgetting that this is a hobby and we are at Reef2Reef, NOT FACEBOOK! I'm not yelling just emphasizing. :)

I am going to ask everyone to please refrain from personal, hateful posts, comments, words and actions. I am going to ask you not to post in threads that are going to get you to say and do things that are not in line with our community standard of being friendly and courteous to one another. We are going to be forced to remove members from hot topic threads and we hate to do that. We want the community to moderate itself by doing the right thing.

Thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back