Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have missed this but is there mounting bracket for the unit of does it need a shelf above the sump?

I've never seen anything about a mounting bracket being included for the Trident itself (there is one for tube that pulls the water to be tested).

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys and Gals, the rudeness to one another has got to stop. I know you are passionate but this is a hobby first and we're not two sides pitted against one another. We have always prided ourselves in being a friendly place to discuss and even debate reefs. Lately the Trident topic has caused a lot of animosity between members here. This is not the fault of Neptune rather a fault in ourselves for losing our temper and forgetting that this is a hobby and we are at Reef2Reef, NOT FACEBOOK! I'm not yelling just emphasizing. :)

I am going to ask everyone to please refrain from personal, hateful posts, comments, words and actions. I am going to ask you not to post in threads that are going to get you to say and do things that are not in line with our community standard of being friendly and courteous to one another. We are going to be forced to remove members from hot topic threads and we hate to do that. We want the community to moderate itself by doing the right thing.

Thank you.

1000% agree. Competition is great isn't it, :). Brings out the best and the worst in people. I say let's keep the competition coming and try to have open dialog about it and not get our panties in a wad. :D

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys and Gals, the rudeness to one another has got to stop. I know you are passionate but this is a hobby first and we're not two sides pitted against one another. We have always prided ourselves in being a friendly place to discuss and even debate reefs. Lately the Trident topic has caused a lot of animosity between members here. This is not the fault of Neptune rather a fault in ourselves for losing our temper and forgetting that this is a hobby and we are at Reef2Reef, NOT FACEBOOK! I'm not yelling just emphasizing. :)

I am going to ask everyone to please refrain from personal, hateful posts, comments, words and actions. I am going to ask you not to post in threads that are going to get you to say and do things that are not in line with our community standard of being friendly and courteous to one another. We are going to be forced to remove members from hot topic threads and we hate to do that. We want the community to moderate itself by doing the right thing.

Thank you.
No, thank you Dave for all you do. Really. I want this same thing. Pretend we are all in each other's living room - think about that each time we post something - would we say in each other's living room, with a group of friends and colleagues, what I am about to type.

As for lively discussion and debate - all for it - and please do it - just in this thread, help me out by staying on topic so I do not need to wade through so many posts to give you the answers you want.

Peace!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have missed this but is there mounting bracket for the unit of does it need a shelf above the sump?

I've never seen anything about a mounting bracket being included for the Trident itself (there is one for tube that pulls the water to be tested).

No mounting bracket is available from us. And none is really necessary unless you are short on space. It is NOT required to be above the sump water level.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is NOT required to be above the sump water level.
Therefore, the recommendation to be above the sump water level is just a cautionary approach to avoid the potential for siphon? Has there been any known incidents of siphoning when mounted at or slightly below the sump level? (Again, understood that mounting above the sump level is certainly best and the safest approach.)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therefore, the recommendation to be above the sump water level is just a cautionary approach to avoid the potential for siphon? Has there been any known incidents of siphoning when mounted at or slightly below the sump level? (Again, understood that mounting above the sump level is certainly best and the safest approach.)
Yes, me! My own stupid fault! I disconnected my Trident to bring it into the office to have it retrofitted with actual production parts and it sits on my counter 32" below the tank waterline. I came home to a couple of gallons on my hardwood floors. Got to admit our mistakes as much as our successes...

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all , THANK YOU for launching TRIDENT.

It surely is a great product and a revolutionary one for sure.
I for one consider apex to be the life blood of my system.

My situation is way different than others - I travel for 3 weeks a month or more and run 2 apexes on 2 of my systems and have 2 in backup. Without apex and my wife being a non-reef person, I would be lost !

That being said question for @Terence is - any plan to make Trident able to control solenoid on a calcium reactor depending on alk consumption ?
I don't use dosing as consumption is simply crazy high in my system with only acroporas and a chore for my wife to fill the jugs in case they run out .

It might have been answered somewhere but this thread is a little too noisy to look for answers .

Regards,
Abhishek

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, me! My own stupid fault! I disconnected my Trident to bring it into the office to have it retrofitted with actual production parts and it sits on my counter 32" below the tank waterline. I came home to a couple of gallons on my hardwood floors. Got to admit our mistakes as much as our successes...
LOL. But it won't siphon while connected then, but gravity still works when disconnected. Got it!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said question for @Terence is - any plan to make Trident able to control solenoid on a calcium reactor depending on alk consumption ?
You could do this on your own now with a 3rd party solenoid connected to an outlet controlled by your Apex. ;)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As soon as I get much hands on one, I’ll be designing a wall mount and tank mount :).

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do this on your own now with a 3rd party solenoid connected to an outlet controlled by your Apex. ;)

So If I understand you correctly , I can always have access to ALK in my apex code and depending on the dKh value I can control my solenoid ? Am sensing that this would reduce my dependency on pH probes which in all honesty is a PITA at the hobby grade level

Atti2de

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry but I can’t pass on this, no leak detection? You know Apex has a module for that. Mine went off the other night and saved me a mess. Lol

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence

What would you suggest for next troubleshooting steps? I hooked up a new Trident earlier today, and after multiple tests there are still no results showing on fusion/local. I updated the software as soon as it finished it's initialization. I have moved the 1-link cable to multiple ports on the eb832 and also re-seated the cable in the Trident. The waste container is definitely colorful already, so it's doing something, just no results.

Thanks!

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence

What would you suggest for next troubleshooting steps? I hooked up a new Trident earlier today, and after multiple tests there are still no results showing on fusion/local. I updated the software as soon as it finished it's initialization. I have moved the 1-link cable to multiple ports on the eb832 and also re-seated the cable in the Trident. The waste container is definitely colorful already, so it's doing something, just no results.

Thanks!

Neptune support gave me a call. Turns out that it has not actually done a testing cycle yet. When it is first plugged in, it goes through the initialization process and then turns orange. At that point, I did an update on the software, which kicked off another process with r2d2 noise. My fusion tile said "testing" so I assumed it kicked off a manual test with the software update. After no results popped up, I found a thread stating that someone was able to fix no results with a new 1-link cable, so I decided to move around the cable on the eb832. After moving it, it kicked off another process automatically, and the tile again said "testing". I assumed it did another test, and still got no results.

According to the Neptune Tech, none of those were actual tests....they were "priming" processes. It is running a manual test now, so we will see if that fixes it.

Note to Neptune support, add another status called "Priming" or "Initializing" or something, so users don't assume it is running a test when it isn't.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So If I understand you correctly , I can always have access to ALK in my apex code and depending on the dKh value I can control my solenoid ? Am sensing that this would reduce my dependency on pH probes which in all honesty is a PITA at the hobby grade level

When running the Trident you can start to see trends and the +/- 0.2dkh is where I know the trend should be for my tank. I run a CA Reactor too with a aquarium plants regulator, the regulator is plugged into an EB832 outlet.

As soon as I see the trend starting to dip lower or rise above the 0.2dkh swing, or notice the trending average moving, I will just adjust the ph point that shuts the regulator outlet off.

Note* I manually change the code on the regulator each time (which takes all of 5 seconds and is no big deal) there could be a way to do this automatically that I may try, but at the same time, I like to be in control and change it manually tbh.

I feel like sometimes I have to drop the PH setpoint quite a bit randomly to pick ALK up after a drop and regain a balance, and all I can think is that the PH probe in the CaRx slips in accuracy and my adjustments are accounting for that. When this has happened, I have always done a manual test with Hanna to ensure the Trident calibration is still correct, and it’s always checked out.

With the trident, I feel like I have been able to achieve a consistent Alk/Ca/Mg level for nearly 5 months. Alk within 0.3dkh, CA within 10/15Ppm, and Mg within 10/15 ppm, I think this level of stability is impressive - it impresses me at least haha.

I travel like you, and the piece of mind to check your phone and see those 3 parameters are right where they should be is very rewarding. Hope this very long winded response helps.

Comic_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the Trident is hooked up, can it be moved, or will this trigger the need to recalibrate the unit? I would like to make a place for it permanently in the near future but still want to hook it up today.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back