Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two actual questions:

1. Are there constraints to how far above or below the sump water level trident must be located?
2. Does trident purge stale/old water from the feed line so that each test represents current tank status?

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two actual questions:

2. Does trident purge stale/old water from the feed line so that each test represents current tank status?

As per the video last night on FB at the 17:40 mark, had to go back and watch, The lines do not purge after each test. I asked the question in the other thread about this and I haven't gotten a response. Here were my questions from the thread.

I am not sure how accurate this can be testing current conditions as some of the water in the lines would be from the previous tests. If you were to dose to make up for the loss of dkh, say for the second test, wouldn't some of the first test water still be in there?
Maybe this is also part of the reason to test 4 times per day and also the reason not to dose the entire solution in one dose to make up for what's lost.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the video last night on FB at the 17:40 mark, had to go back and watch, The lines do not purge after each test. I asked the question in the other thread about this and I haven't gotten a response. Here were my questions from the thread.

I am not sure how accurate this can be testing current conditions as some of the water in the lines would be from the previous tests. If you were to dose to make up for the loss of dkh, say for the second test, wouldn't some of the first test water still be in there?
Maybe this is also part of the reason to test 4 times per day and also the reason not to dose the entire solution in one dose to make up for what's lost.
The lines do not purge *after* each test is what @Terence said. The sample line is purged *before* each test. Each test is testing the current tank water conditions.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on optic process: Does this shoot threw a glass tube or vessel and is it common for all three tests?

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on optic process: Does this shoot threw a glass tube or vessel and is it common for all three tests?

From this photo on someone else’s review of the trident it looks like they used a common glass test vile that’s located behind the front smoked plastic panel.

3530E2D7-71EF-47A2-993D-933D91B30BB0.png

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this photo from the same review is super neat as it shows the guts of the trident. Now I’m only assuming but it looks like a single pump drives the unit plus 5 valves. I’m not sure how much Jim can share about the design but interested in anything you might be able to talk to.
6523983998faeae1794f4fd774d5fc30.jpg

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune or Jim, the test vile looks like it’s near the front of the unit. If that’s true, is there any concern about either ambient light or a bright light source (fuge or ats light) causing incorrect readings? I see there’s a smoked plastic cover as well. I know other similar test units that use colorimeter sensors warn of light contamination screwing up tests. Should users be aware of this with placement?

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud Neptune for being upfront about the need for and cost of routine maintenance on the Trident. I wish other vendors of other products were as forthcoming.

My question is how we will know when it's time to do the routine maintenance? Is there an indicator based on usage or based on some internal detection of impending failure?

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud Neptune for being upfront about the need for and cost of routine maintenance on the Trident. I wish other vendors of other products were as forthcoming.

My question is how we will know when it's time to do the routine maintenance? Is there an indicator based on usage or based on some internal detection of impending failure?
Your mileage will vary based on how often you test. One way to know is Your tank will start looking bad because the test results will be incorrect and therefor DOSing will be incorrect. I guess you could catch it early by doing weekly water tests with a text kit.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of noise in this thread already. And, while I would like to go back through each and every post to see what are actually inquiries, I just don't have the time do it right now.

So, if some enterprising person wants to go back and look for popular questions, or any question for that matter, that has yet to be answered here, or in the content at one of the links in the OP, I will respond to that question summary post to the best of my ability. Fair?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy Paste from another thread:

I wonder, the line can not be shortened but if we want to add a check valve, could we trim the exact length to compensate for that? My stand is a little funky and I'm not sure the Trident can be above the sumps water line. (I'm always paranoid about back siphoning)

Though now that I type that out , I wonder if the slight restriction of flow might throw things out of whack...

@Terence ?

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terence

Like you I haven't had time to go through everyone's feedback but I know there has been a demand for 2/1/1 testing.
Could you tell us if there any plans for this kind of testing in the pipeline?
Thanks
David
There is a lot of noise in this thread already. And, while I would like to go back through each and every post to see what are actually inquiries, I just don't have the time do it right now.

So, if some enterprising person wants to go back and look for popular questions, or any question for that matter, that has yet to be answered here, or in the content at one of the links in the OP, I will respond to that question summary post to the best of my ability. Fair?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back