Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I'm not bothered by it because I work in IT and I look forward to new tech and replace old hardware constantly.

But I really don't understand all the complaints about the trident only working on the latest apex that are on other threads and forums.

The apex is a computer like any other. Hardware gets outdated it is just part of making progress. How many of the people complaining get a new smart phone every other year at least. Or a new laptop every 3-5 years.

You can't run any current software from Apple on the phone that came out in 5 years ago. Neptune simply continued offering a lower priced option with the caveat that not all future products would be compatible. It is still a fantastic tool for any aquarium. But things have physical limitations, that fact can't be avoided.
I definitely do agree with this. I think (or at least I hope) most people do at this point understand the rationale behind the upgrade of tech. In fact, I hope that new tech continues to advance (and Neptune certainly has made it their practice to roll out great new products) which will mean that this will certainly not be the last product that isn't available to classic users. I think most of us are just hoping that some type of an upgrade option may be forthcoming that comes in without having to replace non-essential equipment. Neptune is (obviously) under no obligation to grant us any such option, but hey, we can hope. :D
Actually the new Apex could have been had for $719 last weekend.

It is likely that you could have sold your Apex Classic for at least $250 on today's market.

So, what would you get for your $469?

- a new, more advanced Apex
- a new, more advanced Energy Bar
- a brand new set of probes (two of which are the better double junction type)

It is VERY doubtful that the new Apex, if sold on its own, would be less than $400.

You could probably get $125 for your Apex Classic base unit.

So as a comparison, for less than $200 difference you would be getting that new Energy Bar and a whole set of four probes.

Also, the longer one waits, the less they will likely be able to get top dollar for the items they wish to sell.

I understand where all of you are coming from, but this entire upgrade sell-buy process happens with many tech items in other markets.

By filling you all in far ahead of time, we are trying to respond to criticisms we have faced in the past where customers felt we did not give them enough advanced notice.
Terence, I appreciate the price breakdown and comparison. I think you do understand where most of us are coming from, so I won't attempt to explain my issue further by giving a point by point response. I believe you have heard the classic users' request for an upgrade option of some kind, and I hope at some point perhaps that can be an option that's on the table. I do appreciate all of the hard work you guys have put into this excellent new device. The bottom line is that we all want it! LOL It's just a matter of feasibility at this point for some of us, and that's going to be a situation that varies from user to user. An upgrade option of some type would make it easier for the classic users to get at the Trident (and other items that you guys will unveil in the future), but regardless of whether you guys grant that request or not, my Apex has been an excellent investment already, and even if I can't get the Trident for a while, I do still appreciate my controller for what it is already. Cheers.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While the current NSI group is closed, there will likely be a "call for new NSI members" that will happen in the not too distant future. To be considered for NSI for the Trident, applicants would have to be already using the latest Apex.
I'm ready and willing!

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell just the apex 2016 head unit in the U.K. but it runs around $600usd.

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will reagents be only sold as a set of 3 (cal, alk, mag)? For example if I didn't care about mag am I forced to pay for it? Can you disable any of the measurements?

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to be available in the uk at the same time as the us or are we going to waiting on this like the new eb6 (nonexistent)?

Looks like you don't want to answer this question then

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell just the apex 2016 head unit in the U.K. but it runs around $600usd.
And a year after after the Apex 2016 comes out we still can't buy an EB83. ;) I wonder how long before the Trident comes to the UK. Still waiting for FMK and ATK (no idea if they work on a classic).

Last edited:

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not in the UK. ;)

It is VERY doubtful that the new Apex, if sold on its own, would be less than $400.

£450 in the UK on it's own. Unfortunately that means I'd have to spend over £1,000 to get alkalinity testing with you guys, so there goes your stated price point advantage.

I'm going to guess that you hit your desired price point by having no processing done in the unit and doing it all in the Apex, hence the need for the Apex 2016 head unit. If that's the case then it's a shame that a different approach wasn't taken to ensure that it worked with all of your kit (or even standalone like your ATK).

Without an upgrade path I don't see that it's worth a cost of over £1,000 to get this feature. £600 and working with the Classic - I would have jumped at it. Well, jumped isn't really the right word as goodness knows when it might actually be available in the UK. It will be interesting to see how the automated testing market develops in the year or two until the Trident arrives here.

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence Im so excited about this development. I work 70 hours a week and still do two tests a week on ALK, cal and mag. This will save me tons of time from my wife being ticked at me from "always messing with the tank." Considering I run a nano sps tank, my consistency is critical. I have been back and forth, on the fence between an Apex system and a GHL. The only reason I was considering a GHL is because they had dosing pumps with 4 heads. I run 3 part and does probiotics. Will you guys ever come out with a multi head dosing pump?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a year after after the Apex 2016 comes out we still can't buy an EB83. ;) I wonder how long before the Trident comes to the UK. Still waiting for FMK and ATK (no idea if they work on a classic).

Dun know whether this is true or not that apex is not interested in coming out with the new eb6 with the functions of the 832 . This is for Terrence to let us know

Last edited:

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This classic has been on the market for how ever many years continuously getting upgraded. However you can only fit so many shovels into one shed. They need to make this advancement to allow for more controllability as well as advancements in the hobby. I for one will be buying the new Apex, Trident, as well as the DOS system once I rob a bank or something lol.

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interest is in the water removal. If all three tests use 15ml of water, it's safe to say that is 5ml per test. At 4 Alkalinity tests and 2 Calcium & Mag tests per day; that's 40ml of water total per day. Assuming you do weekly water changes (Some of us dont), that is a little over 1.1 cups of water removed weekly. With an auto-top off system in place, this would dilute your specific gravity over a period of time since the 1.1 cups are being replaced with RODI water. For the control freaks, I would think we would need a salt water feed to dump salt water in as replacements (Especially for those that dont do water changes). Maybe im overthinking it and the swings could be minute (Especially on a much larger water volume system).
In the 2016 version it comes with salinity probe. So really depends on your system in my 200 gal system a cup a week will not hurt it much. But on a 40 gallon you might have more of a swing.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 2016 version it comes with salinity probe. So really depends on your system in my 200 gal system a cup a week will not hurt it much. But on a 40 gallon you might have more of a swing.
Maybe that's where using it with a Pair of DOS will come in very good hand

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These both work with the classic.

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the new Apex could have been had for $719 last weekend.

It is likely that you could have sold your Apex Classic for at least $250 on today's market.

You could probably get $125 for your Apex Classic base unit.

So as a comparison, for less than $200 difference you would be getting that new Energy Bar and a whole set of four probes.

Also, the longer one waits, the less they will likely be able to get top dollar for the items they wish to sell.

I understand where all of you are coming from, but this entire upgrade sell-buy process happens with many tech items in other markets.

By filling you all in far ahead of time, we are trying to respond to criticisms we have faced in the past where customers felt we did not give them enough advanced notice.

And if we could just buy and auto-migrate to the new controller, it would be like buying a new iPhone. But it's not. We have a case where you want us to spend $$ for bundled things we do not need, and give us a somewhat painful upgrade process. I have 2 classics right now, and while I'd like to update, it's still too much money, given that I also have to buy the Trident, etc on top of it. I think what really bugs me is that instead of listening to complaints about the bundle, you guys keep trying to convince us that we should buy it. For that reason, and for the first time in years, I won't be buying this new product from you. Find a way to get to get me the Trident in a more cost effective way, and I'll sent you my monthly reagent checks. I love so much of your stuff, but this whole deal has left me with a bad taste in a mouth about Neptune.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There is more to longevity than how long they last in the bottles. I gave the value above that we think will hold up. If it gets stretched more than that, at this point, we don't know the impact.

As far as cost, you are comparing testing by hand to testing in an automated sense. I do not think this is a fair comparison. If you want to test your tank once a week to save a few dollars, then I would stick to manual testing. The Trident is intended to give an incredible amount of ongoing feedback so that you can manage your tank more closely, create better balance through dosing, check for dosing impact, water change impact, etc. we don't even know all the positive things we can do with this kind of data yet.

As far as the Apex Base Unit. Please see above for the reasoning.
Can you please go about programming to use the dos in conjunction with the trident. Maybe just a tank size punch in, programmed to a concentration like standard brs 2 part. Its deffinitly not needed, but would be great option for control freaks

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is just saying screw the apex classic users. I purchased my apex classic last year on sale. We all know Neptune doesn't ever put anything on sale so i thought I was getting a deal. A month after I purchased mine the new one came out. Now I see y they put them on sale. I contacted Neptune to see if I could return it for the new one. They led me to believe that my classic would work fine with things coming out in the future so I stuck with it. I understand that technology changes and upgrades will be needed. I fill Neptune just gave me the middle finger being my classic is less then two years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back