Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure wish we could get some commentary that would discuss the potential uses and benefits of the Trident. Maybe even possibly come up with some good questions that Terrance may answer regarding functionality or integration.
I'm following along mostly to find out if/how the Trident will support auto-dosing in response to the levels. Terence has already replied that this is TBD, but I think - worst case - it should be possible using the existing programming language; albeit not easily nor likely efficiently. That means, of course, that you'd need a DOS or two (unless there are dosing pumps that the Apex can control that I don't know about).

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along mostly to find out if/how the Trident will support auto-dosing in response to the levels. Terence has already replied that this is TBD, but I think - worst case - it should be possible using the existing programming language; albeit not easily nor likely efficiently. That means, of course, that you'd need a DOS or two (unless there are dosing pumps that the Apex can control that I don't know about).

This seems super simple and I can't imagine how it couldn't support auto-dosing out of the box... I mean its just an input, you can do whatever you want with that information. It shouldn't be any more complicated than auto topoff or shutting off a kalk reactor if the pH is too high. Apex can control many other types of dosing pumps... anything with a normal plug via EB8. I assume we're just talking about something along the lines of "If alk < 9.0 then ON"...

I think what Terrance is talking about are complicated layers of fail-safes, similar to what you see in the ATK. You don't want the pump to continue dosing alk if the trident says alk is low, in the event the input is wrong. The ATK learns what your typical topoff demand is and will shut itself off after double that amount is called for - I am expecting those types of fail-safes are what he is talking about that are in development.

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that classic owners are upset but I think your anger is clouding your judgment.

Think about it this way. If they only cared about making more money like many of you are saying wouldn't you want all your current client base to have access to the Trident not only spending $500 to $600 but also a bi monthly purchase of regent?

I get it. It sucks spending the money on outdated tech but it's common in the tech world. Most of us get new iPhones yearly that cost close to a $1000 and don't complain about it.

Compare this to your other options. There are none. The other Alk monitors cost more and only do Alk and to be honest I'm not sure I trust them yet.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am expecting those types of fail-safes are what he is talking about that are in development.
Right; yeah - also what I intended in the feature I am "waiting for" (not waiting - will get a Trident either way, let's be honest). The safe-guards are the key. They are made more difficult (compared to the ATK) due to the time delays involved; adding water has a relatively immediate impact compared to adding something like Alk, Ca, or Mg into the tank. Also; the test result itself will take time to run. All surmountable issues, but they are some degree higher than that of something like the ATK.
Of course, they are also all (in theory) software issues. So even if not there on release day, it can be patched in later, I'd think.

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Apex Gold little more than a year ago. I paid about a grand for this system and now you come out with something really worth while but we can't use it because the classic is now a dinosaur? Am i alone here when i say i'm fairly and rightly so ticked? You people should offer us an upgrade NOT force us to buy a whole new system. Either that or you SHOULD have made the classics powerful enough to handle the improvements! That would have been the right and responsible thing to do! It's all about the $ though right?

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that classic owners are upset but I think your anger is clouding your judgment.

Think about it this way. If they only cared about making more money like many of you are saying wouldn't you want all your current client base to have access to the Trident not only spending $500 to $600 but also a bi monthly purchase of regent?

I get it. It sucks spending the money on outdated tech but it's common in the tech world. Most of us get new iPhones yearly that cost close to a $1000 and don't complain about it.

Compare this to your other options. There are none. The other Alk monitors cost more and only do Alk and to be honest I'm not sure I trust them yet.
That's amazing. It's easy for you to make that statement when your not the one shelling out the money for it. You should have made the classic system powerful enough to handle big upgrades.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone is complaining about buying a new apex for $800, maybe they should also hesitate spending $500-$600 on just testing water that you can do yourself.
This isn't a "have to have" piece of equipment to run a successful reef. This is a nice to have or an add on item.

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing. It's easy for you to make that statement when your not the one shelling out the money for it. You should have made the classic system powerful enough to handle big upgrades.
Actually I am. I just bought the new Apex now because I figure I can get the best return on my classic that I bought with "money". I'm not angry about it. No one is forcing me to do it. I just want the best. Nobody is forcing you to buy the Trident. But if you want the newest hottest stuff that what you have to do. Just like 4k TVs. Nobody is forcing you to go out and buy a 4k tv with a 4k UHD player and a 4k capable theater system. But if you want it you get it.

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Apex Gold little more than a year ago. I paid about a grand for this system and now you come out with something really worth while but we can't use it because the classic is now a dinosaur? Am i alone here when i say i'm fairly and rightly so ******? You people should offer us an upgrade NOT force us to buy a whole new system. Either that or you SHOULD have made the classics powerful enough to handle the improvements! That would have been the right and responsible thing to do! It's all about the $ though right?
Apex classic didn't come out a year ago. They just started working on the Trident a year ago. As nice as it would be to predict the future and make a product future proof it's just not possible. Technology is advancing incredible fast. 2 years ago nobody could even imagine inventing a device that could test all these parameters. Let along at $500 to $600. I'm happy to pay it.

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident is great and all but what we really need is an apex frozen food feeder. They can build a machine to test all three but no one can make a frozen cube feeder. [emoji16]

There is a frozen food feeder it's just not automated.

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Apex Gold little more than a year ago. I paid about a grand for this system and now you come out with something really worth while but we can't use it because the classic is now a dinosaur? Am i alone here when i say i'm fairly and rightly so ******? You people should offer us an upgrade NOT force us to buy a whole new system. Either that or you SHOULD have made the classics powerful enough to handle the improvements! That would have been the right and responsible thing to do! It's all about the $ though right?
You still got access to the ATK, the apex COR once those come out. But at the relase date of the apex gold, there wasn't a cost effective way of putting the amount of computing power required.

Terrance has said that the cost to upgrade even if made possible would not be cost effective to the consumer. As dumb as you think it sounds, buying the 2016 model now and selling your apex gold is your best path to an upgrade as apex gold can still get around $500 used.
Understood

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The trident is great and all but what we really need is an apex frozen food feeder. They can build a machine to test all three but no one can make a frozen cube feeder. [emoji16]
This feels appropriate here. :D

CPIvGX-U8AAIptf.jpg

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a automatic Nori feeder? Would be super easy. Like a roller that lowers a certain amount everyday.

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a calcium reactor. Is there anyway to use the trident to better regulate the reactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back