Triton Core 7 Unavailable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals are chemicals. What are you all buying into? I mean the testing is one thing - but anyone that thinks they need this method to dose stuff "seems" deluded to me. It may very well be that we all do too many water changes - that doesn't make these chemicals better than others. but ..... what do I know. Get a refugium. Make it big - supplement and you're good - you don't need core this and that (IMHO)
I use triton caue it's easy I don't have time to mess with figuring out new doses

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tasty fish and Mel’s Reef answered the question very well. Things like corroding hinges, failing pump impellers, heater element on its way out, fake titanium in your chiller, leaching Elements from live rock and plastics, water dripping from the ceiling, etc.. all sources of contamination. Cleaner supplements means you can narrow down the culprit faster.
Food, salt, corrosion, plastics, frag plugs, ceramics, RO etc etc etc
Thanks for the response - I didn't mean that ONLY food causes contamination - I thought I had written 'food and other things' - in any case, you both made my point - the vast likelyhood is that 'contaminants' are not coming from 'manufactured supplements (any of them)' but extraneous sources. So - I can't quite see how using a more one supplement over another decreases the likelihood of these types of problems. (unless there is some data out there listing contaminant levels in common 2 part solutions, etc as compared to your triton's).

In any case - this may make the case for 'ICP testing' - im not sure it makes the case for using one supplement over another.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response - I didn't mean that ONLY food causes contamination - I thought I had written 'food and other things' - in any case, you both made my point - the vast likelyhood is that 'contaminants' are not coming from 'manufactured supplements (any of them)' but extraneous sources. So - I can't quite see how using a more one supplement over another decreases the likelihood of these types of problems. (unless there is some data out there listing contaminant levels in common 2 part solutions, etc as compared to your triton's).

In any case - this may make the case for 'ICP testing' - im not sure it makes the case for using one supplement over another.

My second post.... :)

Just to add to this, I used a 3rd party Potassium supplement (as nowhere had Triton at the time - a few years ago now), and even though it was labelled as Potassium and nothing else, subsequent ICP tests showed very high Boron levels along with a few other things. Often there are additives in supplements which are not listed. Intentional or contamination.

I know from experience Triton supplements are extremely high quality and pure. They also tally with the remediation instructions on their ICP, so I know exactly how much to dose to correct.

You only need to look at the contaminants and screwy levels reported in independent ICP testing of salts to see what contamination or variation can look like.

I agree that contaminants are likely to be coming from other sources, but it's not unheard of for amino, element supplements etc to have all sorts of things you didn't know you were putting in your tank. If you have a known good supplier and are happy with it, then carry on using them. However ICP testing has been an eye opener for me and the Triton elements are of known good quality, hence why I use them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My second post.... :)

I know from experience Triton supplements are extremely high quality and pure. They also tally with the remediation instructions on their ICP, so I know exactly how much to dose to correct.

You only need to look at the contaminants and screwy levels reported in independent ICP testing of salts to see what contamination or variation can look like.

I agree that contaminants are likely to be coming from other sources, but it's not unheard of for amino, element supplements etc to have all sorts of things you didn't know you were putting in your tank. If you have a known good supplier and are happy with it, then carry on using them. However ICP testing has been an eye opener for me and the Triton elements are of known good quality, hence why I use them.

Thanks - this makes sense. I wish there was more data out there on this topic from Triton as well as other manufacturers. Im trying to figure out if it makes sense to just do the testing and continue what I'm doing - or change to triton - I already have the refugium, etc.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - this makes sense. I wish there was more data out there on this topic from Triton as well as other manufacturers. Im trying to figure out if it makes sense to just do the testing and continue what I'm doing - or change to triton - I already have the refugium, etc.

No reason why you can't use the testing and see how you get on, many people just do this. I can certainly recommend the refugium method if high Nitrates are a problem in your tank.

Obviously dosing with Triton supplements means that everything correlates to the corrective actions on the ICP results, but you can work this out easy enough.

Switching to the Triton method then really just means swapping over dosing solutions and stopping water changes.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* core7 available at unique corals LA *

since i live in LA, last week while coral shopping at unique's warehouse in van nuys, ca... i managed to snag a 10L core7 set! woohoo! the 'super saturated' (lol, @Lasse) wet jugs.

check with donna or tim there.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 75 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back