Triton Detox raising copper levels?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received back my Triton ICP test and it indicated I had 5.112 ug/l of copper in my tank. So I pulled out my Copper Hanna Checker and sure enough it read .06. Therefore, I removed my carbon, and dosed Triton Detox for 3 days. I placed the carbon back in my tank, and did another Hanna Checker reading after 1 day. Now it read .16. I let the carbon run for another day, and did a test again this morning. Now my Hanna Checker reads .18.

Something seems off? How could my copper have actually increased after dosing Detox. Is it possible the Detox has thrown the Hanna Checker readings out of wake? I've sent another ICP test into Triton for verification...but was wondering if anyone else has seen similar results?

Tank itself looks find, and haven't noticed any effects of copper poisoning.

20200118_112016.jpg

FYI ... I'm thinking the copper may have been coming from my DIY fish food I was using ????

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which checker? All of those values may be effectively the same and might be close to zero.
5 ppb from the icp is not a huge problem. Mine has been higher without apparent issue, but it is certainly worth checking for metal in the water, broken heaters, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back