TROPIC MARIN.....BACK TO NORMAL YET???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a long time TM classic user I was pretty disappointed to find issues with an entire pallet of the classic German salt I got a couple years ago now, just before the "you know what " hit the proverbial fan over there. Still sitting on 20 + buckets I don't think I'll ever use. but that's the past. Not going to re-debate or revive that whole thing here. the purpose of this thread is not to rehash or bash TM. losses were cut. Moved on. stuff happens.

Anyway, I switched brands and got a pallet of Red Sea, that is down to about 5 bags left now. As a life long fan of the TM salt I'd love to go back to it. just wondering if things are back to "normal"? as in, no oily film on the surface or weird floaties or any other issues that were associated with the breakdown a couple years ago.

What is the consensus out there?

SoFlowRubiosCorals

Premium Coral Distributor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We been using commercial mix tropic marin for over 9 months with excellent results. The issues they had with batches were from 2 years ago roughly and originated with Turkey batches.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As a long time TM classic user I was pretty disappointed to find issues with an entire pallet of the classic German salt I got a couple years ago now, just before the "you know what " hit the proverbial fan over there. Still sitting on 20 + buckets I don't think I'll ever use. but that's the past. Not going to re-debate or revive that whole thing here. the purpose of this thread is not to rehash or bash TM. losses were cut. Moved on. stuff happens.

Anyway, I switched brands and got a pallet of Red Sea, that is down to about 5 bags left now. As a life long fan of the TM salt I'd love to go back to it. just wondering if things are back to "normal"? as in, no oily film on the surface or weird floaties or any other issues that were associated with the breakdown a couple years ago.

Ive been using it last two years with no issues and fisnish up 4th bucket and switching to reef crystals as I got many buckets really cheap before price increase

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue was only from a new Turkey plant and they offered to replace all boxes about a year ago, not sure if you can still hold them to that on your stock. I've been using it fine for the past year.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue was only from a new Turkey plant and they offered to replace all boxes about a year ago, not sure if you can still hold them to that on your stock. I've been using it fine for the past year.

The post wasn't clear but they mentioned a pallet of salt from Germany.

OP - I believe only you can answer that question. None of us know outside our personal experience how many hobbyist stayed with the product vs those that switched brands. We all have different levels of what is an acceptable risk and in your case it may be different because of the small business / aquaculture side of things. It isn't the same as a home user if that makes sense.

I am in the camp that continued to use the salt but as I noted above I'm only dealing with 210 gallon system for personal use.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use that salt for driveways/side walk ?
Ive always used IO there was a study way back in the reef central days about all the salts someone did and it was the most consistent. That might be like 15 years ago now that im thinking about it ,yeesh time flys lol

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never stopped using the pro reef mix and even had a bucket that was from the affect batch numbers, never had any issues other than brown in my mixing bin.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I had to drop it after having issues. After watching/seeing how it all unfolded, the price jumping up, and being happy with blue bucket, I haven’t bothered going back. If you do, I hope you don’t raise your coral prices to pay for it LOL.

fin mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea too and I'm curious. Why would you be willing to go back to TM? What is your opinion why one is better than the other? I only ask because I was thinking about switching to TM. I don't like the residue left behind in my mixing can from the Red Sea. I appreciate your .02.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want the “old style” TM salt, go with NYOS. I’d even go as far as to say it’s better than old TM. I say this with only the one bucket so far but I’ve been super impressed.

ESV salt is also amazing salt. I’ve heard they are changing formulas though after studying and testing Andrew Sandler’s system. In my testing I found ESV to be slightly low on some trace elements. I found this surprising TBH but it’s always been amazing salt IME and I’d use it in a heartbeat if the price ever comes back to reality.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never stopped using. I only received the German buckets when I ordered. I never had any issues. I think you are safe if you want to switch back.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was nothing wrong with the Tropic Marine Salt. The purity just wasnt up to their standard. They changed turkish facilities for different reasons.

Around 18:00

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was nothing wrong with the Tropic Marine Salt. The purity just wasnt up to their standard. They changed turkish facilities for different reasons.

I will disagree but that’s the greatness about this forum. I personally take the opinion of two people in this video whose primary goal is to sell this product as biased. There are plenty of contrary posts on R2R about this salt (even non-Turkey batches).

But at the end of the day, it’s your money, your corals, and your choice. There’s enough information out there and we should support each other in this community no matter the choices.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will disagree but that’s the greatness about this forum. I personally take the opinion of two people in this video whose primary goal is to sell this product as biased. There are plenty of contrary posts on R2R about this salt (even non-Turkey batches).

But at the end of the day, it’s your money, your corals, and your choice. There’s enough information out there and we should support each other in this community no matter the choices.
I don't even use Tropic Marine Salt anymore because of the high price, neither do i buy BRS products because I am not from USA. But when i used TM i never had any issues. But that's also true with any other salt i have used.
Regardless of the affiliation i have more trust in experiments with video evidence than anecdotal evidence from a forum with the only source of "trust me" (unless there are actual icp oes forum posts of bad TM salt batches). And BRS TV is the only channel that is doing a somewhat scientific approach with their set ups.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, the purity was up to their standard, proven with the release of affected batches and they denied any issues for awhile before finally shutting down the facility.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If 10,000 of us buy the same salt and 9,990 of us have no issues, was there really a widespread issue?

Even the “bad” batches that were ICP tested showed nothing off. Then again ICP won’t show any contamination or anything.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 10,000 of us buy the same salt and 9,990 of us have no issues, was there really a widespread issue?

True. Also unrelated to salt but any other product hobbyist A it works great but hobbyist B has a 180 degree opposite experience. Crazy how that works. Another crazy thing is all of this goes out the window once a hobbyist puts their hand in the salt bucket, mixing bucket, or display without gloves...

Even the “bad” batches that were ICP tested showed nothing off. Then again ICP won’t show any contamination or anything.

There is this but they also did more in their investigation than ICP tests. I'm one of the few who had a bucket from Turkey that didn't have any issues. Can't say why but I did pass my bucket information, place of purchase, and date to Tropic Marin in case it helped them. Who knows what day a product is made and if a conveyor belt is shared with other products that could have done something.

I would almost question if a hobbyist switched as a result and the current product is working why change back? It isn't about a product being bad but rather the system(s) are used to the new product why change? What would be the benefit or reason?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back