Trouble removing Nem from wave maker

msayeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the Rainbow BBT tried to move around the wave maker and is stuck in it. I tried to pry it off but that's not working. I'm not sure if it's injured but I don't want to risk injuring it. Should I leave it alone and wait for it to move on its on. I don't think it's caught on the blades. I turned off the wave maker and it's foot is in between the swivel. Any suggestions? I attached pictures.
20231007_133127.jpg
20231007_133232.jpg
20231007_133207.jpg

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try and using something like a credit card under the foot to see if you could get it off, just take your time. I have heard that ice on the foot will also they it to release.

Another method is to remove the powerhead and hang it underside down over the tank and it will let go and drop off sooner or later.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you try to pry it off ? it looks like the foot is easily accessible and not inside the powerhead
You can also just let it detach on its own

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let it work it's way out. My LTA got into 2 of my powerheads in the same week. Once it got sucked really in but I let it work it's way out and it was fine.

Attachments

• 20230609_090757.jpg
    20230609_090757.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 27

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Same thing happened to me. I used a card. Add some extra carbon to help your water with the dead tissue. Hopefully it heals

OP
OP
msayeka

msayeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights off for a little while and looks like he's gradually moving out of it. I need to get some live rock in the tank so he can stick to something else other than the glass and wave maker. I will wait for him to eventually move out of it on his own. I do see a piece of nem tissue that broke off and fell to the bottom. I will grab that piece and add extra carbon. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

20231007_163707.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in the tank and some wavmakers, it just going to keep getting stuck lol

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a credit card or a fingernail to get up a little bit of the bottom side of the foot, the massaging it (specifically the underside) has been pretty reliable for removing nems for me in the past. Once you're actually touching the bottom side of the foot, they will slowly release, though just above that on what's normally facing the water, not at all.

Another option could just be shading the spot and waiting a couple of days. If they don't like it there, they will move.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back