Trouble with T5s after installing expansion card

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Looking for some troubleshooting help. Yesterday I disconnected all the wires from my controller so I could install an expansion card. When I plugged them back in, everything was working as normal except my T5s. They are dimmable T5s controlled using a EVG-AP-2F-HIC. Obviously none of the programming changed. Could I have shorted something by disconnecting the "control" wire from the controller while the lights were on? I have a multi meter, but not sure what to test.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... small update. I just took the EVG-AP-2F-HIC out of the mix by connecting the power cords directly and the lights came on. The lights and ballast still work :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1633525977347.png

Did you connect phase, neutral and ground right (L,N,PE) (here you can use multimeter (AC) and measure between phase and neutral. If you have earth fault circuit breaker - do not test between phase and ground :p (red marking) Have you connect the power to the ballast (two ballasts) right. You can test AC here too but only if you have a signal over 1 volt DC out (green for AC and black for outgoing 1-10 V signal. Have you connect the L cable the right way (blue) The outgoing 1-10 V is it connected the right way. If you run your actual ill chanel on 10 % you should be able to measure around 1.9 V DC on actual output (black)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1633525977347.png

Did you connect phase, neutral and ground right (L,N,PE) (here you can use multimeter (AC) and measure between phase and neutral. If you have earth fault circuit breaker - do not test between phase and ground :p (red marking) Have you connect the power to the ballast (two ballasts) right. You can test AC here too but only if you have a signal over 1 volt DC out (green for AC and black for outgoing 1-10 V signal. Have you connect the L cable the right way (blue) The outgoing 1-10 V is it connected the right way. If you run your actual ill chanel on 10 % you should be able to measure around 1.9 V DC on actual output (black)

Sincerely Lasse
Hey Lasse,

To be clear, this has been working for about 2 years. Only yesterday when I unplugged the cable marked by your blue circle that goes to the controller did I start having problems. I disconnected the cord from the controller so I could install an expansion card. I've connected the cords indicated by your red and green circles together and the lights are on.

Thanks,
Ben

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What card did you install - maybe the L ports have change their orders. Connect the L cable and test with another L port, The fact thats your T5 run for full if you do the red green connection tells that you do not get an 1-10 signal or shout down signal from your computer. These ballast is constructed that way that if they get a signal below 1 or no signal - fully on. But if they get 1 V signal - they still light with around 5 % and therefore need a shout down signal to the relay if signal is below 1 V (ie actual Ill chanel = 0)

Does it give full light with the L port connected and not connected? Which L port was it connected to before and now? I also know that sometimes it is very difficult to get the wires from the L cable to get in good contact with the connection box blue circle

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What card did you install - maybe the L ports have change their orders. Connect the L cable and test with another L port, The fact thats your T5 run for full if you do the red green connection tells that you do not get an 1-10 signal or shout down signal from your computer. These ballast is constructed that way that if they get a signal below 1 or no signal - fully on. But if they get 1 V signal - they still light with around 5 % and therefore need a shout down signal to the relay if signal is below 1 V (ie actual Ill chanel = 0)

Does it give full light with the L port connected and not connected? Which L port was it connected to before and now? I also know that sometimes it is very difficult to get the wires from the L cable to get in good contact with the connection box blue circle

Sincerely Lasse
I installed the PLM-CondF-Redox card. The EVG-AP-2F-HIC was connected to the controller using an RJ45 connector to the MiLB port on the controller. I immediately thought that wires must have come loose on the blue circle. I've double and triple checked them. They are tight.

I might just bite the bullet and order another EVG-AP-2F-HIC. I can't see why the dimming control wires being disconnected would cause a short, but I don't know what else it could be. I literally only disconnected that RJ45 from the controller and plugged it back in.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse,

You're amazing. You solved it. Of course I had the cable plugged into the wrong port. I just reconnected the electricity to the EVG-AP-2F-HIC and plugged the control cable to L1/L2 and BOOM (no explosion - Just success). Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot and think through this.
1633534778877.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that you could solve it and I could help. I had a lot of these cards when I was experimenting with 1-10 V dimmers for LED back in early 2010.

Once I thought that I had an insoluble problem at my work - suddenly I realize that the solution was easy if I just turn around the question a little - it was like - the computer will start if I plug in the power to the outlet. The comment I get from my boss was unforgettable :D
it is better to realize that you are an idiot than to face an insoluble problem
I always carry this statement with me when a problem grow over my head - just test the easiest explanation first:D As it did for me yesterday (that was a really "Bad Hairday") when we lost power in half of our systems. After the first chock - the phrase "it is better....." show up in my head and I got back and turn of the contact i had turn on just 15 seconds before and that's help to restart the system with a lot of easy complications - like two not connected faults (never happens or...) - just another bad hairday. I succeed to I also managed to drown the whole kitchen before the end of the working day.........

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back