True NATURAL Grafted Torch

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this crazy torch in which they had probably 200+ heads of this green tipped torch. However I noticed this one is a true graft. I wanted to ask (wrong forum) how much is it worth? And just thoughts and opinions on true natural grafted euphyllia! I’ll have to add pictures of the base showing it’s not glued and it grew like this, super cool piece. Not sure if I should sell or keep!
170C400B-C102-4EDA-9891-30970C4E1DFB.jpeg
A8A43CE0-73B1-479F-8D2C-B07CD50782C9.jpeg
222427DB-971C-4536-BC7D-9890F846F148.jpeg
512E5C24-BDF3-48A6-AE6A-26D1953460E4.jpeg

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bicolor torch!
yup 2nd the bicolor torch, not really a grafted coral. & i would keep it just cause it's cool
What differs between a bicolor tip and a grafted? IMO bicolored have a mixed tip colors across the whole of the torch but this guy is sectioned in its color variation, more similar to a graft. Just curious :)

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What differs between a bicolor tip and a grafted? IMO bicolored have a mixed tip colors across the whole of the torch but this guy is sectioned in its color variation, more similar to a graft. Just curious :)
my understanding of what constitutes a true "grafted coral" from talking to several large vendors is a exchange of pigment between two separate coral grown into one. in the case of a torch you would need say a green stem/ purple tip on part & the rest is a purple stem/ green tip both on the same skeleton. some have cut two torch coral & glued them together & call it grafted but that's still not a natural graft. when the color variation is limited to the tips whether grouped or spread randomly it's commonly called a bicolor. i have only seen one true natural grafted torch ever, i tried to buy it but it's currently growing out & not available but looks like what i described above.

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my understanding of what constitutes a true "grafted coral" from talking to several large vendors is a exchange of pigment between two separate coral grown into one. in the case of a torch you would need say a green stem/ purple tip on part & the rest is a purple stem/ green tip both on the same skeleton. some have cut two torch coral & glued them together & call it grafted but that's still not a natural graft. when the color variation is limited to the tips whether grouped or spread randomly it's commonly called a bicolor. i have only seen one true natural grafted torch ever, i tried to buy it but it's currently growing out & not available but looks like what i described above.
Oh ok ok so it’s more it has reversed colors rather than just the two-colors on it. Interesting, I figured it might have had a purple on purple head that was separated or maybe it’s the start of a graft? Idk maybe that one will grow out man, they are super cool. I had an LFS glue two hammers and tried to sell it as a graft.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok ok so it’s more it has reversed colors rather than just the two-colors on it. Interesting, I figured it might have had a purple on purple head that was separated or maybe it’s the start of a graft? Idk maybe that one will grow out man, they are super cool. I had an LFS glue two hammers and tried to sell it as a graft.
it's cool looking for sure, the grouping is far less common than the color being randomly spread out on the tips. you see it grouped more on hammers but not very often on torch coral. it might not be a HG but it's less common to see i think.
i did a google search just for some pics & this was all i seen so maybe more rare than i thought.
https://aquariumcarecenter.com/product/bicolor-torch-coral-frag/

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's cool looking for sure, the grouping is far less common than the color being randomly spread out on the tips. you see it grouped more on hammers but not very often on torch coral. it might not be a HG but it's less common to see i think.
i did a google search just for some pics & this was all i seen so maybe more rare than i thought.
https://aquariumcarecenter.com/product/bicolor-torch-coral-frag/
Haha cool cool, I appreciate it definitely looks closer to that. Very interesting :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back