TTM question for 5 small tangs

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not putting 5 tangs in a 10 gallon tank. I’m putting them in a 30 gallon.

I got a kole, orange shoulder, mimic, naso, and lavendar. I got them as small as possible. About 1.5 inches.

So, I’m probably going to do copper because it’s the velvet that kills and I don’t want any velvet nor ich.
Sorry I misread that, I thought it said 10g somewhere. 30 will be fine.

Copper is easiest IMO. Tangs generally do very well in copper.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question for you, I remember reading that cp is dangerous to use with blue tangs, is that correct?
Most Blue hippo tangs will not tolerate CP. They are definitely a fish I would treat with copper.

Also most anthias and several of the Wrasse genus will not tolerate CP either.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my message in the last post in the first page with another question.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not putting 5 tangs in a 10 gallon tank. I’m putting them in a 30 gallon.

I got a kole, orange shoulder, mimic, naso, and lavendar. I got them as small as possible. About 1.5 inches.

So, I’m probably going to do copper because it’s the velvet that kills and I don’t want any velvet nor ich.

I’m sorry if I repeated my questions @HotRocks

I understand getting the salinity to the DT over time, but what do I do regarding salinity when the fish get delivered? I won’t know their salinity until I open their bags, and I’d want the tank to have the correct salinity before the fish come in.
You can poke a small hole in the bag to get a water sample with a syringe and the match the salinity of the qt tank before opening the bag

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m ready to set up the treatment tank. I’m going to start gathering my equipment needed. If I have any more questions I’ll post them here!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve never had an issue with Tangs in copper power. I use the Hanna so I keep my levels stable and I also focus on the ramp up to therapeutic levels, that is the key to copper. A lot of people who lose fish in copper seem to have other issues that go unidentified and that copper wouldn’t treat anyways (brook,flukes).
I agree - I only meant that I think the 14 days MAY BE too sort - for 'today'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you recommend I do? I don’t mind doing TTM or copper. I can do either, I just want to know the best course of action.

I’m not afraid to say I don’t know something. That’s why I’m here. I may be new to the hobby, but I’m persistent and willing to learn whatever you throw at me. I took what you wrote to heart and nothing was taken as offense.

I dont recommend - honestly - I dont do it - The procotols that the guys have here are as good as any. @HotRocks

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took this pic just now. You can see how small the fish look in comparison. It looks barren.
BE0C7F38-85AD-4B82-BC5C-AA937E993E7C.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
curious - were you asking about QT when the fish are already in the tank (nice tank BTW)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont recommend - honestly - I dont do it - The procotols that the guys have here are as good as any. @HotRocks

FYI - what I meant was 'I dont recommend one thing or another' - there are other guys here much more versed in QT than I... ie #Reefsquad... I didnt mean 'I dont recommend something you are or aren't doing'

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious - were you asking about QT when the fish are already in the tank (nice tank BTW)

Thanks! And no, I just ordered the fish online today. It’s gonna be delivered in 3 weeks. These fish were mine from before. That yellow tang was there for a long time.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend contacting your vendor and asking what the shipping salinity will be. Set your tank up for that salinity. They may not always be right but it gives you a great starting point. When the fish arrive use a needle and syringe to pierce the bag below the water line and draw enough water to test salinity. Be ready with a piece of tape to slap over the hole. This gives you time to make an adjustment if you need to without allowing air in and changing the pH in the bag...there by converting the ammonia back to it's toxic form.

Over the years I usually know within 0.001 what the salinity will be from the vendors I've used the most.....not always though so that's why you check.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back