Turtle's Deep Blue Sea

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, now this thread is much more enjoyable. Glad the reefing community rallied together to help you see the errors in your way and force you to slow down on this build and fix the things that would bother you BEFORE you get it wet rather than after :p

And for those of you who are lost, he's just mad because people either love or hate burnt orange (my wife hates it), but I still managed to put together a stand that looks good doing it.

Also I'm both a Gator and a REAL (MS State) Bulldog. No UT love from me, just like the colour (that was for your @najer )

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, now this thread is much more enjoyable. Glad the reefing community rallied together to help you see the errors in your way and force you to slow down on this build and fix the things that would bother you BEFORE you get it wet rather than after :p

And for those of you who are lost, he's just mad because people either love or hate burnt orange (my wife hates it), but I still managed to put together a stand that looks good doing it.

Yes, I owe y'all(@najer, that's southern US slang for "you all") for showing me the error of my ways.

Also I'm both a Gator and a REAL (MS State) Bulldog. No UT love from me, just like the colour (that was for your @najer )

So much SEC in here, I like it.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, naturally I chose the color. Who did you think was going to pick... oh, that other guy. Yea, haven't seen him today. If anyone sees him, send him this way... I could use some Pepsi for mixing spiced rum with tonight.

I bet you'd really cringe at, flavor, honor, savor, savior, candor, behavior, armor, demeanor, glamor, harbor....

Color. No really in (proper) English it is Colour, don't get me started! ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanding finished... if I had to do that by hand I'd still be there when @najer learns to spell. ;Woot;Woot

No really, it didn't take long at all. Rough it up with 80grit, smooth it out with 220 and give it a quick polish with 320.

20171011_150715.jpg
20171011_150719.jpg
20171011_150726.jpg

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you're going to be so much happier when you get done with it.

@Katrina71 it's not 5 o'clock yet where I'm at but since @najer is British and they start drinking about the time they finish their coffee....wait they usually start drinking with their coffe....wait they usually skip coffee and just start drinking, I'm sure he/she is serving.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be 5 o clock to start drinking? I'm pretty sure they drink tea too, but the wrong kind of tea.

First coat of primer is on. Snack time. Turkey and Swiss on honey wheat with Duke's mayo and some Ritz cream cheese and onion chips. Tall glass of sweet tea too.
20171011_163059.jpg

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Robin Haselden while you've got it apart, I think I remember you posting about balancing being an issue. Have you got the wood to maybe add some adjustable screw in feet while you have it apart? I was thinking maybe three on each side, front, middle back.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Robin Haselden while you've got it apart, I think I remember you posting about balancing being an issue. Have you got the wood to maybe add some adjustable screw in feet while you have it apart? I was thinking maybe three on each side, front, middle back.

Yes it does have a bit of a wobble. There's a little water damage to one of the bottom corners. It's 5/8" MDF... I dislike MDF, but it's still solid. There are rubberized feet attached to the bottom. You think I should replace it with these, not sure I have enough "wood" to support them.
BkVCl.jpg

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does have a bit of a wobble. There's a little water damage to one of the bottom corners. It's 5/8" MDF... I dislike MDF, but it's still solid. There are rubberized feet attached to the bottom. You think I should replace it with these, not sure I have enough "wood" to support them.
BkVCl.jpg

Those are nicer then I was thinking but those would work great. Is it worth sandwiching a piece of something to the bottom for support? O mean you could get real fancy add small blocks rather then just one single sheet of something, but hey I wouldn't want to go and create any more work for somebody.

Ok I lied I enjoy it quite immensely.

I was going to route my door frame today for my 32g but rain and I has no garage only carport :(

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth mentioning I KNOW already that anybody who has collapsible saw horses (I'm jelly btw mine are plastic :( ) has got to have some fun woodworking tools.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack anything...but I think when I build my display, I'll buy it all new. @Amoo and @Katrina71 will make me work too hard if I don't ;)

Holy crap I missed this comment. Is that a challenge? I pretty sure we could rally up the gang and find a fault ANYTHING.

Seriously, buy all new, lol like that'll keep the flies away from the trough.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth mentioning I KNOW already that anybody who has collapsible saw horses (I'm jelly btw mine are plastic :( ) has got to have some fun woodworking tools.

Eh... I'm just starting to collect some things here and there. Mostly, I go steal my Dad's stuff. He's 5 minutes up the road and if he can't find something of his he just texts me. I have him trained. The DeWalt orbital IS mine tho.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys it's past 5 I brought presents. I left the green muscadines in the fridge, that one is 18% though :p

By the way anybody know where to get those bourbon wood chips? Think I'm going to try Amazon.

HYF8DZY.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back