OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turtle! Hows the AP700 treating y'all? Looks like everything is happy so far yeah? Great grab from jamrocks! They look good!
Working flawlessly. Still trying to find my sweet spot with intensity. Think 80% was a little too much, I got it backed off to 75% now and I'm still trying to figure out the acclimation mode... I set it to 50% for 7 days, but the main control still says 75%. Idk, tank looks great tho.

20200216_193841.jpg

The midnight dynamite is growing pretty dagum well too! 1/28-2/21...

20200128_153023.jpg
20200221_163023.jpg

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working flawlessly. Still trying to find my sweet spot with intensity. Think 80% was a little too much, I got it backed off to 75% now and I'm still trying to figure out the acclimation mode... I set it to 50% for 7 days, but the main control still says 75%. Idk, tank looks great tho.

20200216_193841.jpg

The midnight dynamite is growing pretty dagum well too! 1/28-2-21...

20200128_153023.jpg
20200221_163023.jpg

That MD is looking nice! It's hard to tell but yours looks like it has a blue/purple body. Is this true or does it look this way because of your lighting?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biweekly water change day came two days late, and the update a day later than that... yea I know, hush it got done. I had to wait for salt to mix as I always wait 24 hours after the last time I added salt (late Friday night) as a rule of thumb, and I really just don't feel like it Sunday...

Tank is looking good except for the ulva. It's back. On the tower rock this time. Everything else is ulva free. Corals look good, except a crab made off with my sunset mille... and the Kryptonic acro isnt looking good at all. Not expecting it to make it, but I might be surprised. The Carolina Reaper is loving life in the limelight with the gyre blasting it from across the tank. I might be starting to see some tiny growth from it. Nutrients have remained low, near undetectable, despite me feeding the tank like a garbage disposal. Chaeto ball has trippled since I threw out ¾ of it.. maybe last water change or the one before it. I can't remember.

Alk dropped from 8.2 to 7.8 over the last week at 3.5ml a day dose. We bumped that to 4.1ml a day and see where we go from there.

Our new pre filters for our RO, a 3rd DI canister and the BRS branded 3 stage DI resin with the separate cation, anion and the final mixed bed polish came in last week. The new DI canister came charged already with the mixed bed, so I'll just use it. We also got another bucket of Brightwell salt and some Vibrant to try and combat this ulva.

I set up the Vibrant last night on the dosing pump. I just pulled the flip up part of the cap off and the hole was the perfect size for my tubing to fit thru. I dosed 10ml to start last night (calibrated pump head to 10ml, which was in cal), and I have the pump set up to dose 2.5ml a day at midnight. Well, 0:45... the dosing pump separates each head by 15 minutes of the hour selected and I put the vibrant on pump 4. Pump one is the ATI Pro part 1 and pump two is the ATI Pro part 2. Pump three I'm saving for something else, and my dosing container is only 3 parts right now, which is why I opted for dosing right out of the bottle.

Recommended dose to fight nuisance algae is 1ml per gallon, twice a week. I estimate between 80 and 100 gallons of water total. That's 16-20ml per week. 2.5x7=17.5ml. I figured if dosing twice a week was ok I could split it up daily and accomplish the same goal... plus, the dosing pump doesn't get busy and forget to do stuff.

Now for the exciting stuff for all 2 of you who are still reading... @Magellan came down from the queen city last week for a little coral exchange. We got a frag of his gren pocillapora, teal stylo, a conch shell full of radioactive dragon eye zoas of which I immediately got two nice 4ish polyp drags from that had grow off of the shell. We also got a super cool green/yellow/something else crazy Ricordea florida to put in the Menagerie. We hooked him up with a few meager pieces we had chilling on the rack...

I moved one of my rocks too. The arch on the left side of the shapes rock side of the tank. Instead of just arching down to the sand, I placed it up on the ledge of the tower. Gives a lot more flat surface in the middle of the tank for some SPS. Probably not more acros, but maybe montis. I also think I need to add a few more cave rocks for some fish hides... my scape is looking very open and if I want to add more fish I'll need more hiding spaces. My tomini has been bickering with the clowns because his cave is too close to their trachy host.

Anyway, y'all are probably tired of me talking and wanna see some pictures.

20200302_151313.jpg
20200302_165238.jpg
20200229_183633.jpg
20200226_163156.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the new scape! Can’t wait to see those corals grow out, and I think you’re right, get some Montis and let them do their thing, put those blastos underneath :)

also, won’t Vibrant kill your chaeto? Should take care of that nutrient problem for you ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biweekly water change day came two days late, and the update a day later than that... yea I know, hush it got done. I had to wait for salt to mix as I always wait 24 hours after the last time I added salt (late Friday night) as a rule of thumb, and I really just don't feel like it Sunday...

Tank is looking good except for the ulva. It's back. On the tower rock this time. Everything else is ulva free. Corals look good, except a crab made off with my sunset mille... and the Kryptonic acro isnt looking good at all. Not expecting it to make it, but I might be surprised. The Carolina Reaper is loving life in the limelight with the gyre blasting it from across the tank. I might be starting to see some tiny growth from it. Nutrients have remained low, near undetectable, despite me feeding the tank like a garbage disposal. Chaeto ball has trippled since I threw out ¾ of it.. maybe last water change or the one before it. I can't remember.

Alk dropped from 8.2 to 7.8 over the last week at 3.5ml a day dose. We bumped that to 4.1ml a day and see where we go from there.

Our new pre filters for our RO, a 3rd DI canister and the BRS branded 3 stage DI resin with the separate cation, anion and the final mixed bed polish came in last week. The new DI canister came charged already with the mixed bed, so I'll just use it. We also got another bucket of Brightwell salt and some Vibrant to try and combat this ulva.

I set up the Vibrant last night on the dosing pump. I just pulled the flip up part of the cap off and the hole was the perfect size for my tubing to fit thru. I dosed 10ml to start last night (calibrated pump head to 10ml, which was in cal), and I have the pump set up to dose 2.5ml a day at midnight. Well, 0:45... the dosing pump separates each head by 15 minutes of the hour selected and I put the vibrant on pump 4. Pump one is the ATI Pro part 1 and pump two is the ATI Pro part 2. Pump three I'm saving for something else, and my dosing container is only 3 parts right now, which is why I opted for dosing right out of the bottle.

Recommended dose to fight nuisance algae is 1ml per gallon, twice a week. I estimate between 80 and 100 gallons of water total. That's 16-20ml per week. 2.5x7=17.5ml. I figured if dosing twice a week was ok I could split it up daily and accomplish the same goal... plus, the dosing pump doesn't get busy and forget to do stuff.

Now for the exciting stuff for all 2 of you who are still reading... @Magellan came down from the queen city last week for a little coral exchange. We got a frag of his gren pocillapora, teal stylo, a conch shell full of radioactive dragon eye zoas of which I immediately got two nice 4ish polyp drags from that had grow off of the shell. We also got a super cool green/yellow/something else crazy Ricordea florida to put in the Menagerie. We hooked him up with a few meager pieces we had chilling on the rack...

I moved one of my rocks too. The arch on the left side of the shapes rock side of the tank. Instead of just arching down to the sand, I placed it up on the ledge of the tower. Gives a lot more flat surface in the middle of the tank for some SPS. Probably not more acros, but maybe montis. I also think I need to add a few more cave rocks for some fish hides... my scape is looking very open and if I want to add more fish I'll need more hiding spaces. My tomini has been bickering with the clowns because his cave is too close to their trachy host.

Anyway, y'all are probably tired of me talking and wanna see some pictures.

20200302_151313.jpg
20200302_165238.jpg
20200229_183633.jpg
20200226_163156.jpg

I cannot speak for @MrWheelock but I read your whole and, knowing @Magellan 's voracious appetite for reading, am pretty sure he read it too! ;) He also shared the pics of your trade with me and I'd say he came away happy!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak for @MrWheelock but I read your whole and, knowing @Magellan 's voracious appetite for reading, am pretty sure he read it too! ;) He also shared the pics of your trade with me and I'd say he came away happy!
100%!

And to follow up on the novel - Just noticed you said you were only dosing 3.5ml of alk a day, what are you dosing!?

im using more than that for my 28g (4.5 per day for part 1/part 2) almost a full capful. But I know different brands are concentrated differently.
Ulva infestation of the tower rock...

20200229_183207.jpg

Carolina Reaper still looking happy(thankfully, that frag was not cheap)

20200229_183222.jpg
Turbo snails?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Essentials Pro. It's got everything corals need in the proper concentrations. Like Triton, but not so mainstream. The original (not pro) was a 3 part formula and the alk needed to be mixed with RO as it was powder. It made 10l of solution... or just over 2 gallons. I had no way of mixing and storing that much solution at once so I never used it. Ended up selling it and got the Pro when it came out. It's a 2 part formula that's concentrated. You can dilute it with RO or just dose it like it is. My dosing container has 3, 2l chambers. The Pro comes in 2l bottles. Seems like it's just easy enough to dump it in the container and dose consentrated.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome. Those zoas made me smile they are so pretty.
Your thoughtS on the tank rockwork being too open for fishes is exactly what I have been thinking about for my tank. I can not redo my rock work very much but I can move some of it around and add more to the tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome. Those zoas made me smile they are so pretty.
Your thoughtS on the tank rockwork being too open for fishes is exactly what I have been thinking about for my tank. I can not redo my rock work very much but I can move some of it around and add more to the tank.
Theres an LFS near(I say near, it's on the other side of Columbia so about 35 minutes away) that keeps a nice selection of the Caribsea lifelock out so you can see what you're buying. I'm gonna go pick a few nice cavey pieces to add to the tank. Might do that Sunday...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres an LFS near(I say near, it's on the other side of Columbia so about 35 minutes away) that keeps a nice selection of the Caribsea lifelock out so you can see what you're buying. I'm gonna go pick a few nice cavey pieces to add to the tank. Might do that Sunday...
Sounds like a great idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back