View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Ok what’s wrong with my tank?”
“Mold, you say? I can fix that”
“I’ll take one of everything!”
More or less... exactly how it went.

Tested my water while I was there. Calcium 450ish, Alk 8.5... idk how well I trust that. API kits. I got 7.6 when I got home with the Hanna. I can't remember what he said nutrients were. Salinity was 1.027, pH 8.2...

We also discussed lights. He was a little concerned with the Kessil(Radion fan) and said to get really good colors you have to pair with T5. I already have T5, and that was the plan from the start. He said he liked my current set up with C+ B+ B+ A... but would swap out one B+ for a geisman super actinic I think it was called... said that with the blue plus makes SPS really pop. Oh, he also said I should have my actinic bulb in the front and the coral plus in the back. The actinic brings out more color, and the coral plus has good par but has a tendency to wash put corals a bit.

I'm telling y'all, this guy is awesome.

He did try pushing a rainbow monti and a superman digi on me... he knows how to deal.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve been busy... Bummer on the skimmer but good call adding one back in it would seem. New pirces gonna enjoy the light upgrade!
Yea, enough neglecting the tank. Gotta get it back on track and up to it's full potential.

Oh, and my tell tale coral is showing off my hard work these last two weeks. Any little thing wrong and these deflate like those old tin foil balloons.

20200128_153212.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tested my water while I was there. Calcium 450ish, Alk 8.5... idk how well I trust that. API kits. I got 7.6 when I got home with the Hanna. I can't remember what he said nutrients were. Salinity was 1.027, pH 8.2...

We also discussed lights. He was a little concerned with the Kessil(Radion fan) and said to get really good colors you have to pair with T5. I already have T5, and that was the plan from the start. He said he liked my current set up with C+ B+ B+ A... but would swap out one B+ for a geisman super actinic I think it was called... said that with the blue plus makes SPS really pop. Oh, he also said I should have my actinic bulb in the front and the coral plus in the back. The actinic brings out more color, and the coral plus has good par but has a tendency to wash put corals a bit.

He did try pushing a rainbow monti and a superman digi on me... he knows how to deal.

According to ATI, lamp placement in a fixture shouldn't make a difference. However, I have always felt it does and so do a lot of people. Although fixture height off the water has a lot to do with it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to ATI, lamp placement in a fixture shouldn't make a difference. However, I have always felt it does and so do a lot of people. Although fixture height off the water has a lot to do with it.
6"...

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can’t believe a reef beast like that has API kits! I mean, I still use them for Ph and nitrates...what an endorsement ;)

by the way, 2 part dosing is why my salinity was high!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe a reef beast like that has API kits! I mean, I still use them for Ph and nitrates...what an endorsement ;)

by the way, 2 part dosing is why my salinity was high!
That and probably having the wife do water changes via skimmer. Not an exact science.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That and probably having the wife do water changes via skimmer. Not an exact science.
It’s important that you not question her abilities, and instead shower her with compliments and appreciation for giving your tank her time and attention ;)

(at least, that’s my experience!)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend came by and picked up her peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs and her trachy. It's as healthy as it was gonna get and super full. Her custom 50 lagoon from SCA evidently caught corona virus and hasn't come in yet... but her frag tank has finally stabilized, I think. She seemed confident it would be ok.

It's tank maintenance day tho. We're going to remove the frag rack and all the power heads and clean them as well as the loc line. Those are the last real trouble areas as far as the ulva algae goes. I have one spot down in the zoa garden that still has a little bit of ulva, but it seems to going away or kept in check at the very least. The emeralds are constantly working the rocks over cleaning them of bubble and other algaes and the astreas have found the Gyre pump and are stripping it, albeit not fast enough for me... in the vinegar it goes.

20200201_151239.jpg
20200201_153030.jpg

We're also due for our biweekly water change. The tank looks great and Turtle really hates the water changes, but we must do it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

ZomboMeme 01022020152746.jpg

Soooooo, here's a before I cloud up the tank and tick off the fish FTS... I think I got most of the fish in there.

20200201_151607.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... everything has been doing well. I've been testing a lot getting alk dialed in. Been holding fairly stable in the upper 8s. A little higher than I'd like but everything looks good. I've tested so much, I'm almost out of reagent for the Hanna. Ordered more, plus Hanna phosphate, as well as Salifert kits for potassium, iodine and ph. We also have a gallon container of BRS ROX carbon ordered. I'm out of the cheap stuff I had.

So, here's a graph of my alk, and a FTS I took yesterday.

Screenshot_20200210-222046_Aquarimate.jpg
20200209_184203.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aretuza ? Witcher fan? She is adorable!
You know it. Started with the games about 10 years ago. Never picked up the books(altho I've been wanting to) but the Netflix series wasn't completely horrible. I have a few gripes but what fan doesn't have gripes when Netflops tries to do anything with something.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been meaning to start watching the series. BTW Nice eel, I see She found the water bed. Trachy don't mind?
It's used to two full grown ocellaris clowns faceplanting in it... one tiny eel isnt going to bother it. 99% of the time, she's inside the base of the coral tree where the acans are. I'm gonna hate when she grows too big to hide in there. I'll probably have to get some more rock for her.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the series. I have been reading the books. You know what they say. The books are always better. But I liked the changes they made in the tv series for the most part.
But the sword fight scenes are the best I have ever seen. I have NEVER seen that fighting style. Some of the moves are so crazy different. I have watched them over and over again. So for me it created a new and vastly superior warrior fighting style unique to a witcher. Henry Cavil did all his scenes himself. His fight choreographer has just...wow...just wow.
I am a huge sci fi nut. And I love authors who create amazing scenes like that on paper.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back