Tusi's tank thread

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reef is mega - great job! Where do you get your corals from?

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Your tank can look as good as any ones, stay focused and deciplined. It's a simple hobby but we like to complicate things. Most of my corals are from reefers on the hobby some from here on reef to reef and some from local stores.
Let me know the next time you frag any of your corals , I certainly will buy some. Your just 5 minutes away from me! lol

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me know the next time you frag any of your corals , I certainly will buy some. Your just 5 minutes away from me! lol
I have a lot in my frag tank but depends what you looking for

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you find the 22inch depth and 30inch height? I’m looking at these dimensions on a 6ft reef. Do you find the 22inch depth gives you enough space?

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you find the 22inch depth and 30inch height? I’m looking at these dimensions on a 6ft reef. Do you find the 22inch depth gives you enough space?
Deep tank is nice but have its own issues. If it's 30" deep it hard to get light all the way on bottom without bleaching the higher corals and very hard to work on it. I literally have my face in water or have to do what I need when I'm doing a water change. So if I was to do it all over again I thing I will go shallower in which case 22" is much easier to work with. For looks though 30" I'd nicer. I have a lot of softies on the bottom for that reason.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep tank is nice but have its own issues. If it's 30" deep it hard to get light all the way on bottom without bleaching the higher corals and very hard to work on it. I literally have my face in water or have to do what I need when I'm doing a water change. So if I was to do it all over again I thing I will go shallower in which case 22" is much easier to work with. For looks though 30" I'd nicer. I have a lot of softies on the bottom for that reason.

Thanks for that - so you like the look of the depth, but for ease of maintenance you’d go shallower next time [emoji1303]

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for that - so you like the look of the depth, but for ease of maintenance you’d go shallower next time [emoji1303]
Also my tank is harder cause it's three sided. If it was one face I think it would be much easier regardless the depth

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my tank is harder cause it's three sided. If it was one face I think it would be much easier regardless the depth

Why do you say that - because you have to clean the glass? Mine will only have front and side viewing panels, however I was considering clear glass at the back rather than laminated blue or black (I’m not a fan of either).

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you say that - because you have to clean the glass? Mine will only have front and side viewing panels, however I was considering clear glass at the back rather than laminated blue or black (I’m not a fan of either).
Not so much cleaning the glass but planting corals low and cleaned the sand from dead snails and stuff. Your will be easier to maintain

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot in my frag tank but depends what you looking for
Like what you have done I'm trying to slowly transition over to sps, from a mixed reef I have started with the birdsnest and a green slimer acro , and 2 monti's; setosa and a red-plating.
I am looking for easy to grow acro's. My luck at buying on line is not good, recently bought a few frags from JF and they came in dead , but I didn't notify them within 1 hour and it was my loss..
Thanks,
Rick

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like what you have done I'm trying to slowly transition over to sps, from a mixed reef I have started with the birdsnest and a green slimer acro , and 2 monti's; setosa and a red-plating.
I am looking for easy to grow acro's. My luck at buying on line is not good, recently bought a few frags from JF and they came in dead , but I didn't notify them within 1 hour and it was my loss..
Thanks,
Rick
Had some experiences like that myself. The policy on shipping corals is really messed up. Lost two orders that I purchased the past few months for not showing up overnight and fought to get my money back. Winters are tough for deliveries. Stop by when you can I have a lot of corals that can get you started.
Joe

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,
Thanks, you are so kind. It's up to you when it is convenient to you. Let me know when it is good for you!
Rick

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back