Tuxedo urchins and coralline algae

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My tuxedo urchin blew threw my GHA supply a few months ago, and has been munching my coralline ever since. I know coralline is a sign of an established tank, but does it actually fulfill a purpose? Idk if I should remove the urchin because it’s eating the coralline, so I’d appreciate anyone’s input!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coraline is nice to look at- but also consumes alk and calcium. Personally I wouldn’t worry about urchin eating the coraline. It will probably grow faster then he can eat lol. Good luck and happy reefing!
1FA9A055-BEA6-4FF4-9D11-8925F92964B2.jpeg

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coraline is nice to look at- but also consumes alk and calcium. Personally I wouldn’t worry about urchin eating the coraline. It will probably grow faster then he can eat lol. Good luck and happy reefing!
1FA9A055-BEA6-4FF4-9D11-8925F92964B2.jpeg
Thanks for this! My urchins a little cutie and wears a hat too :). The coralline looks a little spotty with white dots (white bite marks I assume). I’ll prob keep him unless the spots begin to look ugly

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae will cover all of the rocks eventually out competing other undesirable algae, so yes, it does serve a purpose. With that said. it will grow faster than he can eat it. Hopefully he will really cool and clean the back glass for you. The only problem that could arise with him is if he stops eating GHA and only eats the coralline. Even then if he eats some off the back glass he is totally worth it. I'd keep 20 of them if they would keep the glass and powerheads clean.

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae will cover all of the rocks eventually out competing other undesirable algae, so yes, it does serve a purpose. With that said. it will grow faster than he can eat it. Hopefully he will really cool and clean the back glass for you. The only problem that could arise with him is if he stops eating GHA and only eats the coralline. Even then if he eats some off the back glass he is totally worth it. I'd keep 20 of them if they would keep the glass and powerheads clean.
I don’t have any GHA left so he’s pretty much only eating coralline. I’ll have to take a look at night to see if he’s eating the crap on the back of the tank. If he isn’t, do you have any idea how I could safely move him onto the back without impaling myself?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any GHA left so he’s pretty much only eating coralline. I’ll have to take a look at night to see if he’s eating the crap on the back of the tank. If he isn’t, do you have any idea how I could safely move him onto the back without impaling myself?
He will make it there. the worst thing mine does is he will wear a fey of zoas around for a bit. Then I have random spots of zoas in the tank. Not an issue to me. Scraping the coralline off the back glass will help the coralline spread over the rocks faster BTW.

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will make it there. the worst thing mine does is he will wear a fey of zoas around for a bit. Then I have random spots of zoas in the tank. Not an issue to me. Scraping the coralline off the back glass will help the coralline spread over the rocks faster BTW.
I’ll scrape it tonight :). Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t believe this, but I just got home and found my urchin on the back of the tank, along with what looks 4 billion snail eggs!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t believe this, but I just got home and found my urchin on the back of the tank, along with what looks 4 billion snail eggs!
HAHA! He will climb everywhere and pick up everything. He is one of my faves. I am going to get a second one when it warms up. It won't get above freezing for another 4 to 5 weeks so I refuse to order any livestock.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae is a principal reef building organism. It prevents nuisance algae and has a symbiotic relationship with coral, and eventually secures rock structures like cement. A single urchin won’t likely eat coralline faster than your tank can produce it assuming levels are kept in check. In fact the urchin will help reduce some of the coralline freeing up corals to use the same alk/calc/mag. IMO every tank should have an urchin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae is a principal reef building structure. It prevents nuisance algae and has a symbiotic relationship with coral, and eventually secures rock structures like cement. A single urchin won’t likely eat coralline faster than your tank can produce it assuming levels are kept in check. In fact the urchin will help reduce some of the coralline freeing up corals to use the same alk/calc/mag. IMO every tank should have an urchin.
Nice. I keep a dead acropora frag in my tank, and my Ca pretty much never goes below 450

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA! He will climb everywhere and pick up everything. He is one of my faves. I am going to get a second one when it warms up. It won't get above freezing for another 4 to 5 weeks so I refuse to order any livestock.
That’s wise. I’ve only ever purchased fish online once, and it was 65 degrees or so which is perfect IMO. My tank is too small for a second urchin, but I’ve been debating with myself over adding some kind of small starfish!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s wise. I’ve only ever purchased fish online once, and it was 65 degrees or so which is perfect IMO. My tank is too small for a second urchin, but I’ve been debating with myself over adding some kind of small starfish!
Tanks are never too small for another urchin. You just have to start feeding them. Just kidding. If you have to feed your CUC they will stop cleaning.
Check out ispf.com They have some mini brittle stars and spaghetti worms. They also have mini hermits that are too small to eat your snails.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae is a principal reef building organism. It prevents nuisance algae and has a symbiotic relationship with coral, and eventually secures rock structures like cement. A single urchin won’t likely eat coralline faster than your tank can produce it assuming levels are kept in check. In fact the urchin will help reduce some of the coralline freeing up corals to use the same alk/calc/mag. IMO every tank should have an urchin.
Multiple urchins. Mine makes laugh at least once a week.

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread…
Is it possible for a tuxedo urchin to keep coralline from getting started in a new tank?
I have a 40 breeder that was started about 16 months ago. Urchin was added near the start. Mostly softies and a couple euphyllia that are all showing modest growth, but I’ve never been able to get coralline to grow on rocks or glass. Recently upped my CUC to battle some GHA, and now I see coralline spreading from snail to snail. So coralline appears to grow in the tank just not on the rocks. Is this because of the urchin?

Back