Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an orange line chromis that I noticed was missing some of his tail fin about a week ago but he’s going strong and eating. I’m not noticing any bullying going on, but obviously can’t watch 24/7. Today I’ve noticed strange patches on him that I need help with.

I also have a black clown that has long stringy white poop and I can’t get a picture of it, but also has a strange line of white dots going down the side of his body. Doesn’t look like ich so I’m at a loss. He is also eating both PE pellets soaked in Kent’s garlic and frozen cubes of emerald entree.

I have another clown, two more chromis, and a fire fish that all look fine. All of my corals are looking good and growing so I’m not sure. Any ideas?

E9D2B2A9-FD24-4F30-860A-59194660829C.jpeg 93C630E5-8A4B-4026-A8E1-FB48651EDD8E.jpeg A700AAE0-E774-4AF5-AFC1-8D69EB4343A8.jpeg 044CA02C-02C4-4EC7-91A5-539D5CC446A7.jpeg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The white stringy poop may indicate internal parasite. Mixing your food with GC and Focus can help with the poop. As for the chromis it almost looks like the start of a bacterial infection. Let’s see if @Jay Hemdal would agree to this!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it’s binded with Focus with won’t have any issues. I’ve done this multiple times with no effect. Turn flow off and try spot feed so you see them actually eat it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really visualize anything on the clownfish. The orange line chromis could be showing aggression, or bacterial infection, or Uronema or a combination of those. Based on the fish still feeding, I’d rule out Uronema. It is difficult to catch fish chasing each other. One trick that @vetteguy53081 suggests is to set up a cell phone to video the whole tank and then leave the room. Come back and scan the video for clues. If you treat for bacteria, when it’s base cause is aggression, you won’t be able to cure it. The best option is to separate the chromis for treatment.
Jay

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s best for bacterial infection? Will GC and Focus do that as well?
Metro or GC in the water column. So I highly recommend doing this in a QT. Focus binds the meds for feeding purposes to hit the fish gut.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a Spirorbid worm on the snail.

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really visualize anything on the clownfish. The orange line chromis could be showing aggression, or bacterial infection, or Uronema or a combination of those. Based on the fish still feeding, I’d rule out Uronema. It is difficult to catch fish chasing each other. One trick that @vetteguy53081 suggests is to set up a cell phone to video the whole tank and then leave the room. Come back and scan the video for clues. If you treat for bacteria, when it’s base cause is aggression, you won’t be able to cure it. The best option is to separate the chromis for treatment.
Jay
The tank is set up in my dining room so I've been keeping an eye on it from my desk. I'm not seeing any kind of aggression from any of the fish. The chromis all three swim together and my clowns are usually paired off. Should I treat with something or just keep an eye on it? They are all still eating normally at the moment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is set up in my dining room so I've been keeping an eye on it from my desk. I'm not seeing any kind of aggression from any of the fish. The chromis all three swim together and my clowns are usually paired off. Should I treat with something or just keep an eye on it? They are all still eating normally at the moment.
Remember, while you are watching your fish, they will be on their best behavior. That jagged caudal fin on the chromis almost has to be from mechanical damage, and getting bitten by another fish is a common cause of that.
Do you have a treatment tank you could move the two fish into and treat with antibiotics?
Jay

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, while you are watching your fish, they will be on their best behavior. That jagged caudal fin on the chromis almost has to be from mechanical damage, and getting bitten by another fish is a common cause of that.
Do you have a treatment tank you could move the two fish into and treat with antibiotics?
Jay
I do not. The only mechanical is an IceCap 2k Gyre and it has nem guards on it. What other options do I have?

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
PC080210.JPG
PC080211.JPG
PC080215.JPG

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Jay

New video links posted below.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back