Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shots are awesome!!
Your Trachy and Space Invader really catches the eye.

Never had Vermitid snails, so not sure how to eradicate those.
If you bleech, then you'll need to re-cycle your rock.

Hoping for the best!!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have never reset live rock, so to speak.

BRS has a bleach vid. I did not watch it, but it may help

Edit, the tubes from the snails need to be manually removed.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live and learn. All good things must come to a end.

As the tank hits its second birthday, the battle is over. Dinos, are not getting any better(or worse for that matter), and the annoying vermetid snails continue to progress.

Tearing it down, and starting over, but with that, will come improvements.

With doing so, it will allow me to get Miracles to replace the front starphire panel under warranty free of charge. No more haze.

I also feel all the things I had added after the fact like the algea scrubber, third cor pump for frag system, more UV's, etc. Had gotten cluttered and hard to plumb in sump. So I'm going to completely change sump design. And will most likly re plumb the entire system. Aswell as improve my wire chases.

I'm setting up the frag tank, as it's own system. Get it cycling and stable, before I start my display tear down. Luckily I don't need to do a whole lot for it to be a self suffient system. Majority of this is already in place for it.

I will also keep my rock work a little lower and away from the sides a little more, as it currently is a pain to clean and reach down, as the tank is 30" deep.

Questions #reefsquad,

-If I were to cook my rock, to dissolve everything on it (including eradicating Vermitid snail) how would I do this. Bleech, acid, etc?? Also what's the best process for time duration

Some current photos
that is really sad... i would almost start with new rock and sand just because but that is my two cents. i have been luck except i have hair algae that just won't quit and have thought a couple times to tear down and start again, even started fragging all corals so i have a clean sample to start new tank...not there yet and going to fight it a while more....

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried manually removing all the snails when doing a minor tank reset and it was insufficient. They came back with a vengeance.

I'd recommend letting them dry out in the sun for a few weeks and then you will need to cure them for a few months to deal with all the dead/decaying matter.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what did you decide to do?

TEARDOWN

Miracles is set to change front panel of display week May 9th-14th.

Going to just save the hassle as @LBReefer mentioned, as it seems thats concensus. Getting all new rock, all new sand.

I'm currently getting ready to have glass cut to make a new sump for the temp set up for all the coral. I'm gonna have to put sump in front, of back system, otherwise I can't get behind board for any electrical. Temp setup will be like photo below, disconnecting the frag system from my display. And making it independent by itself for the rebuild.

I also think of going with some G5 lights maybe next, but pretty expensive just to try new lights.

I'm actually pretty excited to reset the system and change some stuff up, that annoys me with maintence.

Probably pulling all the control board apart and rewiring. Maybe even build a bigger board to accommodate the neptune additions. Might add a third dos for trace elements, we'll see

Attachments

• 20210306_103930.jpg
    20210306_103930.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

Temp system ready to go. Sump is done. Plumbed, added the older UV to thus system. Just waiting on few neptune extensions for pmup.

Going to cycle my new rock down in this system for 5-6 weeks. Then start transferring display slowly into it.

Miracles is still booked for May 25th front starphire panel change.

Question- would I run this skimmer during the curing process for the rock? Does it matter one way or another? I was gonna run it. Curious what the consensus is.

Attachments

• 20210404_111322.jpg
    20210404_111322.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 62

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

Temp system ready to go. Sump is done. Plumbed, added the older UV to thus system. Just waiting on few neptune extensions for pmup.

Going to cycle my new rock down in this system for 5-6 weeks. Then start transferring display slowly into it.

Miracles is still booked for May 25th front starphire panel change.

Question- would I run this skimmer during the curing process for the rock? Does it matter one way or another? I was gonna run it. Curious what the consensus is.
I’d run it just to help you to dial it in. Also, any excess nutrients from the curing will be pulled out. Win/win.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do not need to run it as there is nothing to skim, having said that, it wont hurt at all to run it.
did you already get rock? i used realreef rock and it was perfect...just a thought

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do not need to run it as there is nothing to skim, having said that, it wont hurt at all to run it.
did you already get rock? i used realreef rock and it was perfect...just a thought
I got 250lbs of South seas base rock by Caribsea. This time around I'm going to add live sand with my new system, and when display is back up and running.

Following the brs video as they had great success. This might help me get proper strains in systems from day one. Fingers crossed to no more dinos/cyano in my future lol.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you best of luck with the revamp! You got the right formula! Stick to it and I see success coming for you in the future!

Always been a huge fan of the in wall systems, keep us updated with the progress!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 250lbs of South seas base rock by Caribsea. This time around I'm going to add live sand with my new system, and when display is back up and running.

Following the brs video as they had great success. This might help me get proper strains in systems from day one. Fingers crossed to no more dinos/cyano in my future lol.
i think that is a good plan. i have had most of my bad things happen from new corals and inverts bringing in algae, aptasia etc. I am continuing to battle hair algae and it seems to continue to grow but i will fight it a bit longer before i do what you are doing....

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock cycle has started...

Attachments

• 20210408_211315.jpg
    20210408_211315.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily @HotRocks

Can you two shed some light,

Front panel of display will be replaced in few weeks, so starting to prep my tear down. When it comes to my tangs, what is my best option.

1- Keep them all together when I trasfer them INTO QT tank, then later trasfer all of them back into display at same time

Or

2- Split up the group to alevate load on qt tanks, then trasfer them back into display seperate or together as a group again?

Gem
Yellow
Blue Hippo
Chocolate
White tail
Tomini
Average Size 3.5"-4.5"

Tangs will be going from the 220g display, back into my qt's. Each qt is 50g, about 24x24x24.

Cheers

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @4FordFamily, can you shed some thought on above question? Thanks

Edit, how about you @GoVols, any suggestions?

Been offline for a while.

I'd prefer to separate them down to multiple qt tanks, keeping your Gem and Yellow apart in different qt tanks.

But, I'd put them back in (your main display) at that same time as a group.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad Teardown complete.

Been awhile, but the panel is finally changed. Moving everything over was quite the treat, but its done.

Miracles Aquariums is second to none.

These guys honored a rare glass issue, and gave me the three year window to change it. And they keep their word. At no cost.

The rebuild im excited for. From redoing the aquascape, to new plumbing and new neptune board. It gives me the opportunity to do things much different the second time around.

Currently my electrical is now just doing the standalone for the QTs and the frag system. Remeasuring sump glass today. I have to wait about four weeks before I fill.

So next up is to rebuild the sump if different configuration, and get my new neptune board done and hung for electrical.

20210812_204452.jpg 20210812_204521.jpg 20210815_195127.jpg 20210815_195106.jpg 20210812_085435.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright #reefsquad #Reefsquadleaders so lights are down. New larger finished ply on the wall ready for plumbing. Only electrical left is running the temp system. Sump glass is ready for pick up. And traded some coral in for some cash.

Now the question,

Do you buy Radions or the new Sky's????

I want the most florescent look. I know my Aqua illuminations nor did the Noopsyche hit the mark with that. My orprek light bars made them pop. But which would you choose, and why if you were buying new lights.

Attachments

• 20210825_195058.jpg
    20210825_195058.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210825_195131.jpg
    20210825_195131.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's mission. I've cut all the old baffles out of sump. Going to cut out and reseal this tank seams. And the redesign will be far more efficient. Picked up the glass yesterday. So just need to build.

Also changed my laundry faucet and redid my meter set for the house. Added a future irrigation line for next year. And added two sediment faucets, thst way I don't have to constantly switch the green sphion piece back and forth a million times on and off the laundry faucet.

Attachments

• 20210827_215116.jpg
    20210827_215116.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210828_110629.jpg
    20210828_110629.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
Back