ULM Tank Cycle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the stages of starting a new tank and the manner in which you cycled the ULM trial tanks caught my attention.

If you were to redo the cycle what would you do differently? Do you like the way those tanks are progressing?

Thanks for any insight, love what y'all are doing.

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm obsessed with the ULM series. I'm curious about this too. Great great job on this series BRS, thank you! I don't have a tank yet but I'm going to follow much of their set-up with the Triton method most likely.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the stages of starting a new tank and the manner in which you cycled the ULM trial tanks caught my attention.

If you were to redo the cycle what would you do differently? Do you like the way those tanks are progressing?

Ryan covers this in the week 16 ULM update video on YouTube. I didn't catch many differences in the video so Ryan may have more to add but he did call out not adding chaeto to the system until fish are added and starting at just 1 hour a day, adding an hour each week until the full reverse schedule is achieved.
Screenshot_20180423-173133-1.jpg

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up, guess I haven't watched that video yet.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd say, so far, we're pretty happy with the way the cycle went. Perhaps we didn't have as many nutrients as we had expected (which could have been a factor in the Chaeto not taking off initially), but all-in-all it went as expected. :)

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading to a much larger tank in a few months and so far my plan is to follow their "ULM cycle" method. It is definitely overkill, but I want to force myself to go slow with the new tank and avoid the really annoying parts of a new tank (algae, pests, etc.) I want to start over with a totally different scape so I won't be able to leverage any of my existing rock.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say, so far, we're pretty happy with the way the cycle went. Perhaps we didn't have as many nutrients as we had expected (which could have been a factor in the Chaeto not taking off initially), but all-in-all it went as expected. :)
Hey Randy,

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the videos, when was your CUC added? Was it during month 1 while feeding was occurring with no fish? Was any skimmer or GFO running during this time or was the chaeto the only nutrient export method? Thanks!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I don't recall if it was mentioned in the videos, when was your CUC added? Was it during month 1 while feeding was occurring with no fish? Was any skimmer or GFO running during this time or was the chaeto the only nutrient export method? Thanks!

There never really was any CUC added to the tank, especially during the tank cycle. Ryan did add a couple of Emerald Crabs and the Tang/Blenny, but that was as far as the CUC got. Along with that, we only used the refugiums for nutrient control and only after the cycle did we consider a skimmer on the tank. Now the Softy/SPS both use a skimmer. We have not used any other sort of media except a small bag of carbon for each tank.

Personally, I would have added a couple of snails to each tank after the cycle, but Ryan's approach does seem to be working fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back