Underwater camera or housing??

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heres my dilemma im trying to save up some $$ for an underwater camera. But i was wondering should i get a camera housing for the Canon Mark II which would cost about twice as much or just settle for the $1000 underwater sea life camera which only takes close up pictures

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an underwater photo box from Melev? Your Mark II attaches to it and you can take the pics from the top of the water. I would say that investment (of around $40 I think) would be easier than buying an expensive camera just to take pics of your tank. If you are dive certified and regulary dive and take pics underwater, that may be a good option (a good underwater tank or camera housing). But just about every phenomenal picture you see on this site is taken with a photobox. They are cheap and work great. Just a thought....

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a dive camera because we are certified now and going to hawaii this summer along with taking many vacations to florida throughout every year

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id start small. I use a a olympus tough with a houseing and have had no issues. if you like diving and a big into photography get something cooler!

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the sea life is 1/2 the price but can only take close up pictures. I was going to go with that but then realized i could get a case for our mark ii with a light for about $2000

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater work requires a LOT of light, or your images will come out very BLUE. If you are going to be diving regularly, then go for the case, and at least 2 external flash units as well. If you are going to HI once a year... well I would stick low budget and get something to share memories with. Photography is an expensive hobby without adding the UNDERWATER part, then it gets Really crazy!

A top down box is an excellent option for your tank at home though, it makes a HUGE difference.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back