unhappy anemone

zoonut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone is very moody. I am fairly new to this hobby, but I have had other anemones with great success. This one, however seems to be happy one day, and shrunken in and grumpy the next. I do have a pair of clowns that have hosted it. The female is very attentive to it and feeds it and cleans around it, etc. Could they be being too hard on it? It is in an 85 gal tank, under metal halide lights. All chemical levels are right on the nose. Everything else in the tank is thriving. Any ideas? I have thought about moving it, even though I have read that they will move themselves if they are unhappy where they are. Thanks for any input!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happened to one of mine once....it died.........hope yours does better

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive Ive talked to you before about him.As I might have said,he should be fine.Ive kept over 30 BTA's from splits and such,and they all acted diffirently.I have noticed that depending on how aggresive the fish are on the anemone(which you have A.frenatus a.k.a Tomoato clown,they are pretty mean)the anemone will act diffirently.In my 18" LTA I have a pair of Tomoato Clowns.They are larger than yours about the size of 5 1/2 and 3 1/2,and they still put a little bit of stress on my anemone.See if they bother him around the foot alot,if so thats your problem,but I honestly think hes fine.

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
if the pair of clowns is too large for the anemone to handle, it's possible that the anemone will perish. I've had it happen a few years back. They snuggled it to death.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back