Unidentified Angelfish

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fabutahoun any ideas on this little guy?
As @pcon said its hard to tell what is the exact ID. Centropyge Angels can have many color morphs and hybrids. I am thinking this is an apparent coral beauty. But can’t role out other possibilities.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As @pcon said its hard to tell what is the exact ID. Centropyge Angels can have many color morphs and hybrids. I am thinking this is an apparent coral beauty. But can’t role out other possibilities.
what do you base this on? I mean I could say its a lemon peel - It looks like neither

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% aberrant Coral Beauty, they are decently common in that color form. For sure not a hybrid between bispinosa and vrolikii. Based on DNA tests Centropyge will likely be broke up at some point as the subgenuses that those two groups represent don't appear to be closely related.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you base this on? I mean I could say its a lemon peel - It looks like neither

I am sorta leaning towards a aberrant coral beauty now as well. the pics I glanced at seemed like the half black also had a black spot where the pictured one was, but the half black has its spot at the base of its fin not behind it like the pictured one and coral beauties get.

There are some suggestions that the use of color in centropyge taxonomy is not totally reliable which makes this somewhat a guessing game. But the rough approach is there are certain groups with different body shapes, xiphypops have extra face spines, paracentropyge extra fin ornamentations. Once the more specific clade is narrowed down within centropyge it largely is color. For this specimen the shape indicates coral beauty, especially around the tail. I have seen coral beauties with a black patch like the one pictured so the patterning sort of matches up better than anything else. most of the rest with a similarly shaped head and tail area don't have the right colors. And then often certain pigments will get erased but other different types will stay, which is why It seems unlikely to be a multicolor which is just missing the iridescent blue and black from just the forehead. But I'm just spitballing keyboard taxonomy.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
InCodWeTrust

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found a Coral Beauty morph on google that looks similar to the one at the LFS

FD3CB42F-6745-4460-81D4-2C2CE1229243.png

OP
OP
InCodWeTrust

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What store is the fish at?
I wanted to see if they would ship the fish to California.
Thanks
It’s at Sailfin Pet Shop in Champaign Illinois. They have a website Sailfin.com but they don’t have an online store. You can call them asking if they do ship though if they still have it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back