Unknown Affliction on my Gramma

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Royal Gramma. Beautiful fun fish to have! However a couple of weeks ago it had a grey circle on its side. So I started treating for a bacterial infection. After a week with no improvement I did a big water change and started treating for a parasite infection. Again, after a week with no change I have been treating for a fungal infection. I am now 3 weeks in with actually worse symptoms because now it's stomach is sunken in a bit, but my Gramma eats well. Is my Gramma just old and on his way out or is there something else I can try? I have done 2 FW dips with an Ich treatment bath. After both i saw mobility improvement but no change on the grey. The grey spots started off light and are now dark.

Parameter: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates, pH 8.0 ( I just dosed to bring it up a little).

When I put my Gramma into my main tank it did get beat up by my damsel, which I have since removed.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was fairly new I might suspect Uronema marinum.
I do not know what it looks like on the side of a royal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Royal Gramma. Beautiful fun fish to have! However a couple of weeks ago it had a grey circle on its side. So I started treating for a bacterial infection. After a week with no improvement I did a big water change and started treating for a parasite infection. Again, after a week with no change I have been treating for a fungal infection. I am now 3 weeks in with actually worse symptoms because now it's stomach is sunken in a bit, but my Gramma eats well. Is my Gramma just old and on his way out or is there something else I can try? I have done 2 FW dips with an Ich treatment bath. After both i saw mobility improvement but no change on the grey. The grey spots started off light and are now dark.

Parameter: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates, pH 8.0 ( I just dosed to bring it up a little).

When I put my Gramma into my main tank it did get beat up by my damsel, which I have since removed.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is this lesion something you can post a picture of? If not, sometimes a short video helps. These need to be done meet white lights, not blue.

Jay

OP
OP
Victory652

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is this lesion something you can post a picture of? If not, sometimes a short video helps. These need to be done meet white lights, not blue.

Jay

Attachments

• PXL_20210726_135306580.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210726_135306580.MP.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Victory652

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this post. My Gramma died earlier this week. Along with 2 of my clownfish which looks perfectly healthy.

Parameter: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates, pH 8.2.

By all accounts my tank seems healthy and clean. I have a bubble tip anemone that has had some trouble but is doing good now. All I have left is a flame Hawk fish and peppermint shrimp.

Any ideas what could have killed 3 fish 3 days in a row. Again I had treated for everything the weeks prior to their deaths and everything, besides the Gramma, seemed to be healthy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this post. My Gramma died earlier this week. Along with 2 of my clownfish which looks perfectly healthy.

Parameter: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates, pH 8.2.

By all accounts my tank seems healthy and clean. I have a bubble tip anemone that has had some trouble but is doing good now. All I have left is a flame Hawk fish and peppermint shrimp.

Any ideas what could have killed 3 fish 3 days in a row. Again I had treated for everything the weeks prior to their deaths and everything, besides the Gramma, seemed to be healthy.
Very sorry - I lost your post back in August. I log on at least 3x a day, but sometimes a post drops down in the queue. If that ever happens to you again, you can nudge me via PM.

Looking at the picture of the gramma, it has some fin damage, any chance it was getting picked on by the hawk fish? There is also some possible evidence of Brooklynella, a protozoan parasite that also affects clownfish.

What treatments did you try?
Is the hawk fish symptom free?
It wasn’t clear to me, is the anemone doing well?

Jay

OP
OP
Victory652

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry - I lost your post back in August. I log on at least 3x a day, but sometimes a post drops down in the queue. If that ever happens to you again, you can nudge me via PM.

Looking at the picture of the gramma, it has some fin damage, any chance it was getting picked on by the hawk fish? There is also some possible evidence of Brooklynella, a protozoan parasite that also affects clownfish.

What treatments did you try?
Is the hawk fish symptom free?
It wasn’t clear to me, is the anemone doing well?

Jay
The Hawk fish has no symptoms but I didn't think the clown fish did either. No spots or anything on the Clowns.

When I introduced the Gramma a Damsel was aggressive with it. I removed the Damsel immediately after that. The Gramma made a recovery fin wise. Then the Grey spots appeared and the fins looked beat up again.

I treated for Ich, bacterial, fungal, literally everything I could think of and they still died. After he was looking healthy again.

Just confused on what it was.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawk fish has no symptoms but I didn't think the clown fish did either. No spots or anything on the Clowns.

When I introduced the Gramma a Damsel was aggressive with it. I removed the Damsel immediately after that. The Gramma made a recovery fin wise. Then the Grey spots appeared and the fins looked beat up again.

I treated for Ich, bacterial, fungal, literally everything I could think of and they still died. After he was looking healthy again.

Just confused on what it was.
Is the anemone still fine?
If so, this would have been some uncontrolled fish disease. Without going through each treatment done, and the timing, it probably will never be able to say what happened. The best thing to do would be to quarantine any new fish going forward to minimize the chance of a reoccurrence.
Jay

OP
OP
Victory652

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the anemone still fine?
If so, this would have been some uncontrolled fish disease. Without going through each treatment done, and the timing, it probably will never be able to say what happened. The best thing to do would be to quarantine any new fish going forward to minimize the chance of a reoccurrence.
Jay
The Anemone is fine now. It did go through a few days where it looked bad but I am in familiar with Anemones so I'm sure it was fine since it is now.

Yeah, that is the frustrating part of it all. Just not know what it could have been. Definitely QT new additions in the future.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back