Unknown algae outbreak help

MugsNotDrugz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help not only identifying what kind of algae this is but also ways to help prevent and get rid of it. This tank is the Evo 13.5 with stock everything. I have added the FluvalSea Mini Protein Skimmer. Sand is Caribsea Fiji Pink. All of the levels in the tank look normal and the salt level is normal. I have a Sicce 1.0 with a VCA 1/4 Random Flow Generator on the way as well to help improve the flow as I wasn't satisfied with the stock flow of the tank. I have been cleaning and scrapping out algae once a week and the tank is around 4 months old and i do 15% water changes every Monday. Is there anything else I can do to help get rid of this algae as it is beginning to become more than a problem.

IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0429.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start vaccuming the sand bed and blowing the rocks off with a turkey baster.

Once you get as much of the big stuff out as possible and while the water column is full of debris, perform a 100% water change and place a good mechanical sponge to finish polishing.

I would add something like a hygger mini powerhead instead of modifying the return with the VCA nozzle.

It appears to be cyano and it sounds like its from lack of flow and lack of proper cleaning husbandry.

Did you rinse the sand before setting up your tank?

OP
OP
M

MugsNotDrugz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start vaccuming the sand bed and blowing the rocks off with a turkey baster.

Once you get as much of the big stuff out as possible and while the water column is full of debris, perform a 100% water change and place a good mechanical sponge to finish polishing.

I would add something like a hygger mini powerhead instead of modifying the return with the VCA nozzle.

It appears to be cyano and it sounds like its from lack of flow and lack of proper cleaning husbandry.

Did you rinse the sand before setting up your tank?
Got it I will give it a good vacuum and basting lol. I will also run the sponge trick as well. When it comes to the rinsing of the sand when I bought my sand at the my local shop they said I shouldn't worry about rinsing it... I'm assuming I have been mislead.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it I will give it a good vacuum and basting lol. I will also run the sponge trick as well. When it comes to the rinsing of the sand when I bought my sand at the my local shop they said I shouldn't worry about rinsing it... I'm assuming I have been mislead.
Unless your phosphates and nitrates are testing high with very good test kits, I would hold off with a water change. If you bottom out one or both of those parameters it’s very likely to kick in to a big time dino phase.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back