Unpopular Opinion (maybe): Tangs

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large tanks full of rocks and corals with minimal room for tangs to swim are the same as a 55 gallon mildly stocked tank.

Change my mind.

I’m not talking about overstocking, but more like one yellow or purple tang in a smaller tank.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that having open space is important, but I think rock area to pick at is also something tangs enjoy. Also, there is be longer swimming paths and hiding spots in bigger tanks regardless of how much coral has grown. I am no "tang saint", as I have yellow and kole in my 75 gallon, but I do acknowledge they would benefit from a more sizable tank.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and tomini in a 90 gallon and that seams like just enough. Not sure I would go with any tangs bigger than these. In a 55 gallon I would consider just 1 tang with the reality that you will need to upgrade the tank in the not so near future. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree (to a point at least). That’s why I’ve tried to keep my aqua scape fairly low, to maximize swimming space.
1FC48CC9-3227-4D63-84DD-48A012736AD9.jpeg

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55 in my opinion is too small for any tang to be kept for a length of time. They will never be able to “swim” naturally in that size of a tank. That being said no tank is natural to them lol but the bigger the better for tangs. Any fish that loves to “stretch it’s fins” like tangs; are always cruising they will benefit from more room.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sometimes tangs are misunderstood. They love flow and space, it's what they have evolved for, but like the rest of us they can also enjoy the easy life. I wouldn't put them in a small tank but I don't think the average tang is that bothered when a larger tank grows in and reduces some of the space, by this time it's settled and enjoying the simple life with free food it barely has to do anything for.
Is it better to provide as much space as possible, definitely, is it the most important thing, arguably no. You see some very contented tangs in fully grown out tanks, probably because the owner really takes care of the tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion:

1. Swimming room
2. Rockwork to hide, sleep, and graze

They are both needed, which is why big tanks are needed. You can't do both in a 55. The rock is especially needed when you have multiple tangs or really any aggressive fish, so they can get away from each other. It's less important in, say, a 90 gallon with a single kole.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that they need a balance of both swimming room and hiding spots. Big tanks are more ideal but there is more than just tank size that matters. Water quality, good diet, and proactive care outweigh just having a huge tank. Just my two cents. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back