Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time saltwater tank
- Top Fin 36 gallon bowfront tank
- Fluval 307 Canister filter
- 35 lbs of dry reef rock
- Heater, power heads, and new lighting on the way
- Will be adding live sand and water to begin cycle soon, any advice appreciated

image.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

What are your plans for the tank? Reef?
Thank you! Glad to be here.
Yes, it’s going to be a reef tank but I won’t be adding corals until the tank is very stabile, I’m thinking about doing the 4-month cycle but any advice is appreciated. I plan to start with a pair of clowns and a yellow watchman goby with a cleaner shrimp.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want this thread to be your build thread? If so a mod could move it for you. Linking it in your profile under the right area gets you the build thread contributor badge.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns, goby, and cleaner shrimp is a great start.

I'm not sure what a 4-month cycle is? It should only take a month or so. You'll have to add some source of ammonia.

I would add a black background ;)

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want this thread to be your build thread? If so a mod could move it for you. Linking it in your profile under the right area gets you the build thread contributor badge.
Definitely, I tried to add the build thread tag but I’m new here so not sure how everything works quite yet, thanks!

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns, goby, and cleaner shrimp is a great start.

I'm not sure what a 4-month cycle is? It should only take a month or so. You'll have to add some source of ammonia.

I would add a black background ;)
Here is where I saw the 4-month cycle:

I am looking into adding the black background right now, what’s the best way to go about that?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has videos on the subject. Generally what they sell is decent at worse. I just got 150w jagers from them as my cobalt neotherm failed and doesn't heat anymore.

They are doing the job.

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

What are your plans for the tank? Reef?
Ahh I see new equipment is on the way. What equipment did you get?
Hey guys, I'm going to be grabbing a few more things today. Im not quite sure which sand to get. I will most likely be getting caribsea arag-alive sand as thats whats on sale near me but I am not sure which grain to get and how much I will need. I really like the bahamas oolite look but have read the horror stories of cloud storms so I was leaning towards the fiji pink. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm glad you got into the hobby! Some nice first additions are a pair of clowns and a shrimp. I would put some Fritz Turbo-start Saltwater. The fish will be the source of ammonia. I hope this helps you out in the first couple months of your tank. I hope the tank goes well for you.

-Reeferman47

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm glad you got into the hobby! Some nice first additions are a pair of clowns and a shrimp. I would put some Fritz Turbo-start Saltwater. The fish will be the source of ammonia. I hope this helps you out in the first couple months of your tank. I hope the tank goes well for you.

-Reeferman47
Hey there! I appreciate the support, everything seems to be coming along nicely. I'm planning to begin the cycle in a few days with Dr. Tims one and only. Would you be able to recommend a caribsea grain size for my substrate? I am also shopping for an affordable ato so any recommendations there would be great. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
B

bigjepp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Ocean Revive T247 lighting came in and it’s looking great. Too bad I’ll have to turn it off for a while during my cycle. I could use advice on the intensity levels at some point from anyone that has any experience with this light or general recommendations. I’ll try to look around and find a par meter because I understand that is the best method. The other equipment came in as well, 1 565gph Hydor Koralia powerhead and 1 20 Lbs bag of Fiji Pink Caribsea Arab-alive. I have also been curing my dry reef rock with some bacteria in a 30 gallon brute with a heater and power head. Still no black background but we will get there.

image.jpg image.jpg

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get carib sea shells substrate, I love it and so do my wrasses. It is great stuff!

-Reeferman47

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back