update on my ribbon eels

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my third and final (for now) ribbon eel in today, he's absolutely huge.

5 hours after he was out of the bag I offered him a silverside, he took it, I also offered one to my other 2 eels, the other sub adult took one, the juvenile did not, this did not surprise me since one of these silversides is like the length of a third of the juvenile..

I think im going to amend my feeding schedule to once a week or so, I'll offer food again on Sunday and then start the new schedule then, i will attach a video.

@lion king could i get your thoughts on this feeding schedule? do you think it's good or should I amend it still?

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ribbons do seem to eat less than other eels, the gorge part of their feeding cycle, so you'll have to play it by ear, they may need to be fed more often. They'll let you know because they will get very active. The little one especially may need to be fed more often. There's no hard rule to how often they should be fed, just a rule of gorge/fast, there are variables. Feed them their full on feeding day, the ribbons are not usually the biggest gluttons. Then give them time to digest their food, fast, their metabolism and activity dictate this. A smaller juvi eel will likely eat less and digest faster so they may need more frequent feeding. The larger eel may gorge more and take longer between, get it?. Eventually you will get them on the same track but it does take a little fine tuning. In the meantime they will let you know when they are hungry, just don't let them scam you into feeding too often. Target for a ribbon could be as long as a week, but could be twice a week and be perfect.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ribbons do seem to eat less than other eels, the gorge part of their feeding cycle, so you'll have to play it by ear, they may need to be fed more often. They'll let you know because they will get very active. The little one especially may need to be fed more often. There's no hard rule to how often they should be fed, just a rule of gorge/fast, there are variables. Feed them their full on feeding day, the ribbons are not usually the biggest gluttons. Then give them time to digest their food, fast, their metabolism and activity dictate this. A smaller juvi eel will likely eat less and digest faster so they may need more frequent feeding. The larger eel may gorge more and take longer between, get it?. Eventually you will get them on the same track but it does take a little fine tuning. In the meantime they will let you know when they are hungry, just don't let them scam you into feeding too often. Target for a ribbon could be as long as a week, but could be twice a week and be perfect.
gotcha, will feed on Sunday and re assess from there!

Matnil78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ah, interesting! Just got my new black ribbon eating, both live Mollies and dead (lancefish from Ocean Nutrition) and was thinking about how often to feedback. He (?) is pretty big, about 80-90cm, so a couple of lancefish or Mollies per feeding and then wait a few days untill he is active out and about is the way to find a feeding routine?
A shorts clip of mine :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, interesting! Just got my new black ribbon eating, both live Mollies and dead (lancefish from Ocean Nutrition) and was thinking about how often to feedback. He (?) is pretty big, about 80-90cm, so a couple of lancefish or Mollies per feeding and then wait a few days untill he is active out and about is the way to find a feeding routine?
A shorts clip of mine :)

Awesome. I like feeding smaller items, so it's almost impossible to overfeed. On feeding day you can feed them their full, keep offering until they refuse.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back