Upgrade pump for Fluval evo?

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, Definitely The Sicce 0.5 Silent.

I tried the Ehiem Compact 1000. Very popular, fits well, great flow, but creates way too much heat.

Then I tried A bigger Fluval, too noisy. Finally died prematurely. 2nd Fluval pump to die young BTW.

The Sicce 0.5 fits perfectly, is the perfect amount of flow (more than enough unless you have an Acro forest), and is totally silent.

I know some say to get the Sicce 1.0 but then they all admit that it is too much flow.

I love the EVO and love to talk mods. Anytime. A great tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, Definitely The Sicce 0.5 Silent.

I tried the Ehiem Compact 1000. Very popular, fits well, great flow, but creates way too much heat.

Then I tried A bigger Fluval, too noisy. Finally died prematurely. 2nd Fluval pump to die young BTW.

The Sicce 0.5 fits perfectly, is the perfect amount of flow (more than enough unless you have an Acro forest), and is totally silent.

I know some say to get the Sicce 1.0 but then they all admit that it is too much flow.

I love the EVO and love to talk mods. Anytime. A great tank.
Well if you love talking about Fluval evo mods, you could maybe tell me how to improve the filtration in the back chambers?
I’m already planning to upgrade light to the ai prime but not sure how to improve the filtration

Upvote 0

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you love talking about Fluval evo mods, you could maybe tell me how to improve the filtration in the back chambers?
I’m already planning to upgrade light to the ai prime but not sure how to improve the filtration
I like the InTank media basket in chamber 1. Bonded filter floss on top. Chemi pure blue [5.5 oz] in the middle. SeaChem Matrix in the bottom. Has worked really well.

The key is to not overstuff the baskets and impede flow.

Upvote 0

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 0.5 on my Evo with RFG. Great flow and filtration. I have both intank chamber 1and 2 media baskets. Good flow for all my corals with no need for a powerhead.

Upvote 0

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehime compact 1000, I have one In mine its silent and doesn't create any heat, i have a seneye in the same chamber.... much better than the 0.5

Upvote 0

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me just jumping in and highjacking a thread with my first post, but I have a strong interest in this question.

I purchased a Sicce 1.0, was extremely dissatisfied with the noise and then purchased a 0.5 as I was told that they were much less noisy and either I have defective units (2 from 2 separate retailers) or they are FAR from silent, and I mean a LONG LONG way. The impeller rattles around like a pea in a whistle in both units and makes it impossible to watch a movie in my front room. They're just badly manufactured.

I get that the kit pump is likely underspecified for decent flow and coral growth, but I cannot believe it is impossible to manufacture a device that provides twice the flow with not much more than twice the volume (which the Sicce units definitely are, sorry, unless I have defective units).

To sam2110, you seem pretty enamoured of the Eheim unit vs the Sicce. Do you have experience of both?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 0.5 in my Evo. I have it in my bedroom and while it is louder than stock I find no problem going to sleep. Wife is a light sleeper and if she doesn’t complain it must be quiet. I think you have a faulty pump or not fully suctioned. Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Evo I have a Sicce 1.0 going to two VCA 1/4” random flow generators and it works great for me. I have no need for a powerhead at this point with the occasional turkey baster to get stuff suspended in the water column. My return pump is quiet unless it leans forward and touches the glass on the side but outside of that you can only hear it at night when everything is off and everyone is quiet. I think if I trim the return hose down a half inch then it will stop leaning forward.

Upvote 0

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ehime compact 1000 no heat issue,s, with RFG and jecod 10 wave maker. The Shine is a great pump, but it doesn't come with a controller.
I use D Flow designs chamber 1 and 2 works well and half the price of Intank.

Upvote 0

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Evo I have a Sicce 1.0 going to two VCA 1/4” random flow generators and it works great for me. I have no need for a powerhead at this point with the occasional turkey baster to get stuff suspended in the water column. My return pump is quiet unless it leans forward and touches the glass on the side but outside of that you can only hear it at night when everything is off and everyone is quiet. I think if I trim the return hose down a half inch then it will stop leaning forward.
I have the same setup and problem. Great circulation but occasional buzz for a few minutes if my ato fills or I turn off the pump for feedings. It’s weird how the RFG are not standard on this tank now lol

Upvote 0

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to anyone specifically replying to my question. My supplier is telling me the same; I must have a faulty unit (or two?).

He’s recommended the the Jeboa DC650. I don’t suppose anyone has any thoughts on this one?

Upvote 0

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1.0 is the best. If you mount it properly it’s whisper quiet. A tad tight going past the baffle but worth it. Flow wise. It’s perfect. Someone said too much. Nope. I’m running 500gph total flow in that little space. Everything loves it. If you don’t want more flow than why change the pump?

Upvote 0

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, as discussed I have two Sicce pumps and neither are anywhere close to silent, honestly - can hear them from upstairs. It’s possible (likely) I have stumbled on a bad batch, but my confidence is gone.

I’ve tried all sorts of different mounting, always with the mounted suckers and with foam to baffle. The impellers rattle around inside them like peas in a whistle. Thanks for responding, but as I say, I’m done with them.

Upvote 0
Back