Upgrading tanks - what's one thing you wish you would have done differently?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget filter socks and roller mats. Use these cheap 3D printer filet cups. Change out a small piece of filter floss every week. Cheap and easy.

1D585D3C-67E4-45A8-B327-B55679C371B0.jpeg
I did the same by cutting down a Red Sea filter cup, using Pinky Floss.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things that have kept me from NOT going with a filter roller. Not if but when it breaks you need to have a backup plan. Once you modify your sump for it there is no emergency plan B if it fails unless you're willing to buy 2. They can sometimes smell bad due to the dirty end of the roll sitting in your stand for weeks. If a doser breaks you can dose by hand until there's a fix. You can get by without a skimmer for a bit if it fails. You can go without a wavemaker if it fails. You should always have a backup return pump of some kind. But if a filter roller fails and you've cut your baffles out so that it fits that's a problem.
They don't smell @ all. My skimmate is more raunchy smelling than the dirty roll. If the filter roller craps (mine has and no it's not a red sea), keep a filter sock mount and some socks around, simple fix. I currently have a bubble magus roller but I've BTDT with a 1st gen kilr and it was utter trash. A lot of us don't run a 'name' brand tank, thus we don't have sump modding issues when it comes to filter rollers.

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things that have kept me from NOT going with a filter roller. Not if but when it breaks you need to have a backup plan. Once you modify your sump for it there is no emergency plan B if it fails unless you're willing to buy 2. They can sometimes smell bad due to the dirty end of the roll sitting in your stand for weeks. If a doser breaks you can dose by hand until there's a fix. You can get by without a skimmer for a bit if it fails. You can go without a wavemaker if it fails. You should always have a backup return pump of some kind. But if a filter roller fails and you've cut your baffles out so that it fits that's a problem.
I have a Sk-5000. I love it. It never smells and I'm not worried about it breaking. I have been running it for a little over a year. My water has never been cleaner.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done low iron glass instead of acrylic... I was so paranoid. I did that when we had the 150 gallon frag tank built :)

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any takes on chaeto/algae versus bio balls? My chaeto area is overrun by nuisance algae but DT is fine. It's ugly to look and curious if the bio ball route is worth the change? Or harder to manage...

Well I'm using both, almost 5 months now. I have two sumps, one gravity drains to the other. My overflow is split on true union ball valves to each sump with one return pump. The right side holds skimmer then refugium section, the left side has bio balls, to return pump.

So far seems to work out just fine.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for pocillipora for a few years and can’t find it
next time you are in Georgia, you can come over and scrape my back glass.... smile

all transplants
5C5C019C-1AA1-40D9-AF25-6B15B6AFE610.jpeg
9E580912-BBEB-4CEE-9394-A21B03122B3B.jpeg
4BA13AAA-D53E-4AFA-B5B2-96C98E0F5525.jpeg

Last edited:

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for pocillipora for a few years and can’t find it

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never using dry rock again...
Same here -- went with half dry rock a bit over a year ago (tank transfer) and every nuisance algae/dino issue I've dealt with has been on my dry rock pile with never a spec on live rock structure.

*local PetCo has decent looking aqua-cultured rock cheaper than real ocean live rock (obviously),,, maybe just run it fallow first if time permits (next time)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting them home to Canada might be an issue ….
You could get these under your fingernails and they would re-grow…

seriously. - and in context of this thread, am planning an upgrade (have a 100g trough seasoning rock, bought some extra lights, first talk with manufacturer etc) and would plan to use as much of the rock from two tanks to make that happen successfully. BUT 40 % of the main tanks rock has one or more of these pocci colonies visible, and certain that more rocks have tiny colonies.
Really want these rocks with their bacteria, pods, sponges AND acropora etc, but getting rid of the pocillopora has been a challenge. Have clipped it back and covered the residue with kalk paste and epoxy, and it comes up around the epoxy.
Any other ideas?

catturio19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends -
Currently running a RedSea Reefer 55 gallon DT and upgrading (as of right now) to a Waterbox 130.4.

What's one thing you wish you could have done differently when upgrading? Tank plumbing, aqua-scape, anything if you had the chance! Honestly curious before I make the switch.

I may go from socks to reefmat 500 but curious if there are other tips out there.
I personally find my biggest regrets being that I didn’t use live rock. The micro diversity plays such a huge role in our tanks and I feel like my corals are missing something with the more sterile environment I created.

I spent way too much money on gear. On my next tank I’d probably do a roller-mat and skimmer in the sump and leave it at that. Also the auto testers seem to create more work than actual benefit for me at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back