Upgrading tanks - what's one thing you wish you would have done differently?

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only going to add one Carib life 5lb shelf type rock. The BTA I have was way bigger than I thought and has used more rock space than I wanted. So I will only make a minimal change to support the rock trying not to disturb that much bottom.

You could add some live rock and try not to disturb to much. You could get a bio-Blume from it, I wouldn’t there would many problems. But you could cycle it before if needed.

There are many helpful threads on aqua space. Mine was originally one dimensional straight line, now is separated more one side than the other with as many fish hiding holes as I could make.

20221209_200911.jpg

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only going to add one Carib life 5lb shelf type rock. The BTA I have was way bigger than I thought and has used more rock space than I wanted. So I will only make a minimal change to support the rock trying not to disturb that much bottom.

You could add some live rock and try not to disturb to much. You could get a bio-Blume from it, I wouldn’t there would many problems. But you could cycle it before if needed.

There are many helpful threads on aqua space. Mine was originally one dimensional straight line, now is separated more one side than the other with as many fish hiding holes as I could make.

20221209_200911.jpg
Appreciate the advice, I’m in Canada so I can’t get live rock, only dry rock. Good looking tank!

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends -
Currently running a RedSea Reefer 55 gallon DT and upgrading (as of right now) to a Waterbox 130.4.

What's one thing you wish you could have done differently when upgrading? Tank plumbing, aqua-scape, anything if you had the chance! Honestly curious before I make the switch.

I may go from socks to reefmat 500 but curious if there are other tips out there.
Went from two tanks 100 and 125 work and home to a single 250 gal custom tank at home.
1. never buy a custom tank you didn’t design. I bought it brand new from lfs on a whim.
great tank had the measurement I wanted and the low e glass I wanted. But the top middle has a plexy glass brace which after having opened topped tanks with no where to put anything. I thought I would love it Never thought of the cleaning aspect of it and the fact that it greatly dims light and in a 30 inch deep tank you can’t get to middle of tank with your hands, you need tools.
2. I am not a plumber and have always had friends help with plumbing. So I never leaned about bulkhead size and plumbing pvc sizes and why they should be bigger. My 100 had 2 in pipes and my 250 has 1 1/2 inch plumbing. Which greatly affects flow and noise if you crank up returns too high. Lesson learned.
3. Make sure you have enough ceiling height with your canopy to open and get in tank to work .4. Make sure over flows are where you want them. I have mine in corners. My last two tanks were in middle which I thought I didn’t like but now that I have it. I don’t like it either. For me best bet would be a long thin overflow running length of back of tank. Best for flow and viewing.

my advice is don’t rush into anything. Take your time.
I wanted an 8ft 300gal and I settled on the 6ft 250 30in deep.
once you have the physical tank it is a big endeavor to change it. It’s like changing the foundation of your house.
Hope my mistakes helps someone not make same ones.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends -
Currently running a RedSea Reefer 55 gallon DT and upgrading (as of right now) to a Waterbox 130.4.

What's one thing you wish you could have done differently when upgrading? Tank plumbing, aqua-scape, anything if you had the chance! Honestly curious before I make the switch.

I may go from socks to reefmat 500 but curious if there are other tips out there.
I wish I had planned my stocking out more. I do regret some of my fish sometimes as they don’t always ‘complement’ eachother with their colour patterns.

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had mo money lol went bigger, hired professional mover(thought I did but they did not show up prepared) panick attack and thank god tank is all in one piece, Wish I had my water station set up but again money puts some things on hold. wish I had bigger dosing containers and bigger Ato container so I can go on vacation lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having just set up a larger tank (for now), I wish I went with coarser sand than fine.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan for ease of maintenance. Everyone forgets we are maintaining an artificial environment with emphasis on maintaining. I think the second biggest reason my last system failed was an inability to do basic water changes. If I could have done them easier, I would have been better able to bring my numbers under control. With my new setup (still cycling) I’ve built a water station where I can make enough water for about a 40% water change, then turn right around and start mixing the next 40%. Also, I designed this system to be simple, so if things go sideways, it can run on autopilot for a while. You never know when life is going to blindside you.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 750 XXL. I would never get an open-top tank again. Every time someone sits on the couch and gets blinded by the lights or my fish splash on the front glass I am reminded of how next time I will get a traditional canopy.
Depending on the lights you have there are some easy fixes for this. There are also lights that do not have this issue.

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done low iron glass instead of acrylic... I was so paranoid. I did that when we had the 150 gallon frag tank built :)
What is it about low iron glass that you like so much? Is it just the glass vs acrylic?

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade tanks have a build quality comparable to Miracles tanks. I had a Miracles 240 built into the wall for 8 years and we sold the house and i needed a new tank, went with the cade 1800 peninsula. The quality was absolutely perfect.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first of all have gone with a longer tank. I have a 48 x 30 x 24 inch, 150 gallon. I really really wish I had gone with something 5 or 6 feet long. The extra horizontal swimming space would have made a big difference.

Second was making a better plan for water changes like others have mentioned. They really do become a big chore when you're dealing with larger volumes of water.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends -

I would have made sure my lights had an app and were able to be controlled remotley good old kessil A160 lol!!!! so I shouldve chose Ai Primes or something else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back