Urgh seriously.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t panic. Flatworms can come and go without chemical intervention. I would say if you can’t really see large numbers of them, you don’t really have an issue at the moment. Besides that, even if you use Flatworm Exit, you still have to siphon out as many as you can before treating the tank. You see, the flatworms are probably more of an issue when they are dead inside your tank. They can release toxins, which is why you want to limit the number of dead ones and why you need to run carbon - after you treat with FE.

Some wrasses will eat flatworms, so I would try a natural approach first. In any event, I would siphon out the ones you can see and keep a close eye on their numbers. I am beginning to have some serious doubts about your LFS.

Become more independent. Set up an RO/DI and get some large containers to store fresh and salt water to use when you need it. That way you will know exactly what you are adding to your tank and nit rely on whatever you can round up at the LFS. My two cents - again. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well I think I have earned the nobel super stupid award today. Once again took advice from lfs about the flat worms. Said you can dip softies and most lps in fresh water for a few seconds and the flat worms will fall off.

Well I tried it on a softie that I honestly didn’t care one way or the other and used same temp rodi and (looking I couldn’t see very many), but dipped for less than five seconds and hundreds came off. Soft coral bounced right back and asked if I could dip my large candy cane coral as well. Dumped the old water out and new rodi at temp tons came off and the candy cane looked little upset and it was less than five seconds.

Well hours late soft coral is doing the same but I think I killed my large colony of candy canes. They are starting to lose tissue and at the same time have feeders out.

Urgh I’m just gonna use the flat worm exit and dona huge water change and put a ton of carbon in the sump. I don’t have a separate canister to hold carbon media.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, Sarah. I wonder if you killed off a bunch of them when the tank was moved and ended up with a high level of toxicity from the flatworms. That might a reason for unexplained deaths too. You are definitely due some good luck - stat!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday before work, second one it’s cold and raining and I’m lounging lol
F0AF229D-2CA6-4098-A2EF-03297470A4CB.png 4B74018B-4E82-4A71-851F-61AB0ABCDDCE.png

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are such a cutie Sarah! Sorry about your coral. Just an fyi, the flatworm exit can cause an ammonia spike with die off. @hdsoftail1065 wrote a very detailed thread using it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your candy cane.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are such a cutie Sarah! Sorry about your coral. Just an fyi, the flatworm exit can cause an ammonia spike with die off. @hdsoftail1065 wrote a very detailed thread using it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your candy cane.

Hello,

Lol awe thanks I had a reason for it but now can’t remeber. But I’m starting to think that when I moved my tank, and that I have low nutrients is the reason for my troubles. Flat worms need higher nitrates than what I use, plus we moved.

I have really considered running a canister filter with carbon in it 24/7. But most have said that’s a bad idea and remember I use nopox. So not sure how that works but I have not used the flat worm exit yet. I was just stupid and used room temp rodi and took a softie out and (the one I could see some in which wasn’t many, till I dipped it). Then holy Hannah a lot came off, and was told fresh water was safe for soft and lps. That’s not true candy cane is holding on but it’s super mad. The soft coral bounced right back. I don’t know if coral dip will kill flat worms or not, but doesn’t help me much because they are on the rocks (I can’t spot any but know they are there. I can’t believe how expensive canister filters are now, but mostnhave said just to get some huge media bags and through them in he baffle right before the return pumps. Much cheaper than 300 for a decent canister filter.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So these have been long over do but they are from last week and after my tank has moved. It’s definitely not the beautiful reef I had, but again nothing in nature always stays beautiful. It will take some time and I will have to really take time and consider how I’m going to handle the rest of the flat worms. I’m extremely hesitate to do it right now with the tank on edge. They definitely don’t like fresh water lol and ahh nor does coral. But here are some pics of well what’s left. Please not these pics have my clam and naso in which have since passed. I have not taken new ones but will this weekend.

0820F924-2B81-4899-9CC3-C8A4D3323664.jpeg FC2ED36C-33A4-4D54-B222-9EB1BF026592.jpeg A4AD3A1F-6325-49F5-AAB8-396AAFC86E0E.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah, have you considered getting wrasses to help keep your flatworms in check?

You can get 2 or 3 flasher wrasses, I've been told they are all fairly compatible. Then you can add 2 or 3 fairy wrasses using the chart in this article to ensure compatibility.

Maybe even add a lepord wrasse which will get along with all the others. That should give worms an absolute fit!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah, have you considered getting wrasses to help keep your flatworms in check?

You can get 2 or 3 flasher wrasses, I've been told they are all fairly compatible. Then you can add 2 or 3 fairy wrasses using the chart in this article to ensure compatibility.

Maybe even add a lepord wrasse which will get along with all the others. That should give worms an absolute fit!

Hello,

Ya know @Brew12 i have missed you, I have always thought the bee’s knee of you. How is your tank and son doing? I’m sure he is doing brilliantly. I’m still reading your article and it’s really good.

After I was well stupid, and dipped my candy coral in freshwater, I thought it was a goner. Came home today for food break and it was blimey thriving lol. So I’m pretty happy I didn’t have to put another coral in the grave yard outside my back door.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Ya know @Brew12 i have missed you, I have always thought the bee’s knee of you. How is your tank and son doing? I’m sure he is doing brilliantly. I’m still reading your article and it’s really good.

After I was well stupid, and dipped my candy coral in freshwater, I thought it was a goner. Came home today for food break and it was blimey thriving lol. So I’m pretty happy I didn’t have to put another coral in the grave yard outside my back door.
I've been busy! You obviously haven't read my build thread. ;)
My wife and I have spent the last week in the Bahamas and it was fantastic. Went diving for the first time in 15 years.
My son is doing ok, not great. Kidney stones aren't a problem anymore but he is still dealing with stress fractures in his legs. He has 5 1/2 months left for them to heal before they medically discharge him. Hopefully they heal soon so he can continue his career in the USMC.

Coral can be pretty resilient if given good water quality. I wouldn't do a FW dip on a coral but as long as it doesn't kill them and you get them back in a stable tank they should recover. Many coral are exposed to air for hours at a time and they may get rained on while exposed so FW isn't necessarily a killer.

Hopefully your tank settles in for you now that you are in your new place. I'm pulling for you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cutie??/ Gorgeous !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vacuum as many flatworms as you can see, then start treatment. I recommend at 80% of the recommended dosage. A lunare or melanurus wrasse will aSSIST in the battle.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been busy! You obviously haven't read my build thread. ;)
My wife and I have spent the last week in the Bahamas and it was fantastic. Went diving for the first time in 15 years.
My son is doing ok, not great. Kidney stones aren't a problem anymore but he is still dealing with stress fractures in his legs. He has 5 1/2 months left for them to heal before they medically discharge him. Hopefully they heal soon so he can continue his career in the USMC.

Coral can be pretty resilient if given good water quality. I wouldn't do a FW dip on a coral but as long as it doesn't kill them and you get them back in a stable tank they should recover. Many coral are exposed to air for hours at a time and they may get rained on while exposed so FW isn't necessarily a killer.

Hopefully your tank settles in for you now that you are in your new place. I'm pulling for you!

You hopefully were not in the Bahamas when the hurricane hit it! I can’t believe how hard it hit the islands. I’m sorry about your son, I as well hope he heals. Hopefully if he cares for them properly, he should be good to go. (Is he staying off or using a cast?). I can’t imagine ones heart, going through what he had to and then be medically discharged. Like my brother and my dad have always said, “being a Marine is all I have ever been taught”. Even after they were out they still basically acted as if they were still in it.

I’m so guilty, I haven’t read sooo many threads including my own lol. Moving the tank and my house has just exhausted me, plus work. If it matters I still don’t know where things are in my kitchen lol, I open several drawers just to find silverware, plus my room is different so can’t count how many times at night I have had to get up and sure enough walked into a wall. But it’s ahhh slowly coming along lol.

@Katrina71 lol awww thanks and yes I’m super lucky and wow it’s made me learn a lot. Sad that I didn’t know most of this already, (another oops to my list of what not to dos).

@vetteguy53081 i have tried to do that but sadly I could only see them on three of my corals. I can’t see them on rocks or any corals on the right side including softies. I never knew I had them till they moved my tank.

I will definitely run carbon and get some wrasses or one at least. I didn’t know I could run carbon if I carbon dose I didn’t think I could actually. But it explains a lot prior also if they died off because I run a low nutrient tank. It would explain why I suddenly lost some corals but not others (possibly).

@MERKEY lol you say that as if I have worms lol, I can assure you umm (sure hope I don’t) BUT, lll I definitely know what to look for if I do and well other humans as well. Sorry I had to:). Thanks I hope they just bugger off and leave my tank alone.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hopefully were not in the Bahamas when the hurricane hit it! I can’t believe how hard it hit the islands.
The island we were on was hardly impacted. Freeport, which is what was hit the hardest, is about 100 miles north of Nassau where we were at. It was breezy but we had great weather.
Like my brother and my dad have always said, “being a Marine is all I have ever been taught”. Even after they were out they still basically acted as if they were still in it.
Once a Marine, always a Marine. No such thing as a former Marine unless they received a dishonorable discharge.
I’m so guilty, I haven’t read sooo many threads including my own lol. Moving the tank and my house has just exhausted me, plus work. If it matters I still don’t know where things are in my kitchen lol, I open several drawers just to find silverware, plus my room is different so can’t count how many times at night I have had to get up and sure enough walked into a wall. But it’s ahhh slowly coming along lol.
I get it! I haven't kept up with thread as well as I would like, either. Life is just too busy with the travel I've been doing. And, I still have to spend a week in Arkansas and Switzerland before Thanksgiving. Might even have a trip to Germany in December. Lots of miles.....
I didn’t know I could run carbon if I carbon dose I didn’t think I could actually.
No problems doing both, they are completely unrelated. Carbon dosing is like adding sugar. Activated carbon is a contaminant absorbent. No interaction between the two.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back