Urgh seriously.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

First off happy happy Easter and I definitely pray every one is safe and with family as much as they can be. This past few months I have noticed one of the things I love the most I haven’t been doing and that’s being here with my friends and talking about life and my crazy tank etc. I think it’s time to dedicate time to my thread again, one I love and miss it and two I’m going insane lol.

With that said, here are pics and this is day one w me trying a high powered (per say phosphate remover, went in last night.) the good thing is my stinging Duncan seems happier already. So here are some pics :) I have missed everyone and rest assure I haven’t forgotten any one.

146E8691-E401-4E4F-9706-EE2D9A01AAAD.jpeg 500C2438-3C00-4FC5-A7E6-2BCFF802A179.jpeg 6D64B7F3-B6EB-43AC-8A93-2211DBE22845.jpeg 95E24541-94A2-429F-9343-098DE56EECFF.jpeg CBEB51DB-908B-4CF7-B4F0-CA0E1AD5FE0B.jpeg A333600D-82F3-44C1-B806-E9521CD054F6.jpeg 8B8B0D9D-9132-4A85-8D9F-561996843650.jpeg F60D830B-39F7-497C-B474-139CE89EBD5D.jpeg
Tank looking dog gone good !!!!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking dog gone good !!!!

Hello ,

Ahhh thanks it’s getting better as I well manually remove the gha which is working and I have added probably 20 or more turbo snails. I have been redirecting them to the patches of gha that I would like to be mowed down and or wiped out. It has been a longer process than I have wanted but was sadly me lacking cleaning crew and skills. Well I wasn’t able to stand for a while but still.

I also moved corals that need more help. What’s interesting is my tequila sunrise, pc rainbow and stinging Duncan’s are in the exact same spot before I had to move the tank. Wavemakers are the same lights etc and they are just majorily struggling. Water parameters are the same, and well also I had a birds nest that did awesome in the version before my move. But in my moved version it just basically bit the dust. I definitely miss the golden head goby so that’s next on my list of cleaning crew for the tank. Was gonna add crabs but usually have more problems with them then I need by them killing my turbo snails.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello ,

Ahhh thanks it’s getting better as I well manually remove the gha which is working and I have added probably 20 or more turbo snails. I have been redirecting them to the patches of gha that I would like to be mowed down and or wiped out. It has been a longer process than I have wanted but was sadly me lacking cleaning crew and skills. Well I wasn’t able to stand for a while but still.

I also moved corals that need more help. What’s interesting is my tequila sunrise, pc rainbow and stinging Duncan’s are in the exact same spot before I had to move the tank. Wavemakers are the same lights etc and they are just majorily struggling. Water parameters are the same, and well also I had a birds nest that did awesome in the version before my move. But in my moved version it just basically bit the dust. I definitely miss the golden head goby so that’s next on my list of cleaning crew for the tank. Was gonna add crabs but usually have more problems with them then I need by them killing my turbo snails.
Surprised to hear loss of birdnest but overall tank looks great

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I hope all my dear friends are safe and out of harms way. As promised to update my friends on rank issues. So oddly my alk and calcium are not dropping they are staying constant at 9 and 480. I have not dosed in three days. Now the new phosphate is working fantastic. It has dropped it and may add more to get it lower. I think that will help with colors on some of my coral. Nitrates are still under 2ppm and phosphates are under the .25 so almost there. (It’s between the first color and second of the api test. Maybe it’s time to start doing 30-60 gallons a week for water changes.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sarah. Tank is looking good. I’m concerned that your alk has shut down. Did you possibly drop PO4 to fast? I feel starting water changes is a great idea. Taking rocks out and scrubbing them with a stiff brush worked wonders on my GHA. It’s good to hear your getting better and up for water changes. Did you ever get an RO unit?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sarah. Tank is looking good. I’m concerned that your alk has shut down. Did you possibly drop PO4 to fast? I feel starting water changes is a great idea. Taking rocks out and scrubbing them with a stiff brush worked wonders on my GHA. It’s good to hear your getting better and up for water changes. Did you ever get an RO unit?

Hello,

I’m not sure what you mean by alk shutting down. Which is why I’m very curious because my alk is staying stable at 8-9 with out me dozing which is 1 tablespoon a day. Calcium didn’t move either it’s stuck at 460. Nitrates are below 2ppm and phosphates have decreased a little not a lot. Adding 25 turbo snails has helped and tank still seems happy. Wondering if water is too clean or just totally wiped or nutrient value, even though I add trace elements and other elements. I have gone back to testing daily to see where the tank is going. When one has low nutrients isn’t it better to have lower alk and cal? Or are they suppose to be higher? Was always taught 7-8 alk is best and 440 cal, but seeing numbers of alk in 10-11 and 500 for calcium.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sarah. I do feel that dkh around 7.5 is good for lower po4 and no3. What I meant by your alk shutting down is your corals are not using any, or have shut down from growing. If your not adding your daily alk and it is stable I would say your corals are shut down from growing. This may be due to po4 dropping to fast? I don’t know I’m just trying to think outside the box. I just tested my po4 it’s zero pbb on my Hanna. Yikes!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sarah. I do feel that dkh around 7.5 is good for lower po4 and no3. What I meant by your alk shutting down is your corals are not using any, or have shut down from growing. If your not adding your daily alk and it is stable I would say your corals are shut down from growing. This may be due to po4 dropping to fast? I don’t know I’m just trying to think outside the box. I just tested my po4 it’s zero pbb on my Hanna. Yikes!

Hello,

I definitely think you are on the correct path. I have not dosed since Sunday, and finally it’s back to 8 alk and 440 calcium. I didn’t dose my nopox for two days (usually not a good idea). But by not doing that my nitrates came up a little, phosphates stayed the same between 0 and .25ppm. Corals some softies like my hammers and frogspawn are still happy just not completely out, the same with my Duncan. I have not noticed much difference in my lps or sps. They have stayed the same for the most part. I’m curious as to how do I make the corals start using alk and calcium again. It was at 10 ish and 500 and now down to normal after 3 days. So it did use some In theory. But normally I have to dose 1 table spoon of each a day, and it stopped. Finally it’s (like I said), back down to normal, so i will see where it is later tonight and tomorrow. I have all my wave makers on wave, gyre and returns are normal flow, I’m curious what would happen if I switch to stream or surge wave action. Always thought most mixed reefs wanted wave action. So many options lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I definitely think you are on the correct path. I have not dosed since Sunday, and finally it’s back to 8 alk and 440 calcium. I didn’t dose my nopox for two days (usually not a good idea). But by not doing that my nitrates came up a little, phosphates stayed the same between 0 and .25ppm. Corals some softies like my hammers and frogspawn are still happy just not completely out, the same with my Duncan. I have not noticed much difference in my lps or sps. They have stayed the same for the most part. I’m curious as to how do I make the corals start using alk and calcium again. It was at 10 ish and 500 and now down to normal after 3 days. So it did use some In theory. But normally I have to dose 1 table spoon of each a day, and it stopped. Finally it’s (like I said), back down to normal, so i will see where it is later tonight and tomorrow. I have all my wave makers on wave, gyre and returns are normal flow, I’m curious what would happen if I switch to stream or surge wave action. Always thought most mixed reefs wanted wave action. So many options lol.
Flow in a mixed reef is challenging. The SPS love high flow, but that is too much for softies and LPS. My LPS and zoas struggled when I raised flow enough to make my SPS happy.

I wouldn't worry about what alk and calc you are at, just do your best to keep it steady. If something happened to destabilize your tank it can take a few days for the corals to adapt and start growing again. Just keep testing regularly so you catch it when they do start growing again.

And hope you are still doing well and not working too much! How are your legs holding up?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many flow options. Keep testing alk daily and adjust your dosage. You could try changing up your flow. Once you find a flow you like stick with it for a few weeks to see how your corals respond. Your tank has always looked great, so you clearly have a grasp on things. I had to double my alk and ca additions in the last two weeks, so hopefully my corals are in full go mode. This may explain my complete lack of phosphates as sps can suck them up.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well ah I’ve been quiet and have been isolated for about 3 weeks now because sadly I tested positive with the covid 19, along with a few other co workers. I was fairly sick but been finally improving. So once again I’m playing catch up. But have missed every one and please remember this disease is not something to mess with.
sorry friends this is the best I could do for a smile.

D20CEE94-1926-4018-9DC4-92E9A0FA5112.png

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well ah I’ve been quiet and have been isolated for about 3 weeks now because sadly I tested positive with the covid 19, along with a few other co workers. I was fairly sick but been finally improving. So once again I’m playing catch up. But have missed every one and please remember this disease is not something to mess with.

We are just happy to see your face and know you are improving! So sorry for this on top of everything else! Chin up Doc we are pulling for you!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a fast recovery Sara - I was just thinking if something had happens with you knowing that you are in the frontline.

No its not a joke - me and my wife have been in self isolation since we come back from Norway 17/3 - only seen our children and grandchildren through internet and just met twice (2 m apart and outside) with our grandchildren that live close to us. We are allowed to walk around in splendid isolation - we have the forest 100 m from our home. We ar 70 +. Sweden have not closed down by force and prohibition but the rules is the same. Only difference is that we are asked to do it by our own free will and with common sense. It looks like we have managed to flatten the curve in a way that our healthcare system can handle. But it is not over yet and we are calculating with restrictions at least over the summer.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Umm.... as a medical professional I thought you would know the proper way to wear a mask ;Doctor I'm thinking that might be a little lower than intended! :p At least it is making a smile for you. ;)

I can't help but shake my head seeing couples going shopping together where the lady is wearing a mask but the guy isn't. Umm.. do they really think that helps? And then there are the people who pull the mask down under their nose so they don't feel so restricted. Yeah.. sure.

Question for you... If a guy is admitted with Covid-19, will the hospital give him a haircut? Asking for a friend..... ;Sorry

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a haircut and a shave and then the real cutting begins :eek:

Another double....funny Web site lol!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back