Urgh seriously.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know you, nor have I ever spoken to you on here even. I just stumbled on this thread, read the first post, which is just, wow! I would have lost it! Then I skipped to the latest post and read about your car accident. Hit me hard, I was so sorry to read about what happened. Hoping it helps to know that a total stranger is wishing you a speedy recovery. All the best!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah, I've been through my share, not as bad as you at the moment, but plenty in my 56 years of life.

So, here's some stories.......

I broke my leg at a BMX race In Tulsa Oklahoma when I was young. Broke my tibia on my left leg in four places. Hey, if your going to break it, break it real good, right!? When they were transporting me to the hospital, the pain was terrible and they gave me a shot. I instantly felt better and was hungry. I asked the emt's if we could go through the drive thru at Burger King so I could get a Whopper before we got to the emergency room. They laughed and said "we are hungry too, but no, not a good idea"! Oh well, I tried! Lol

Next, last year I was diagnosed with heart failure. Don't worry, I've improved since. It's the meds and my "Never surrender" attitude! (And "God's not done with me" which is probably the reason) was at 10% now I'm at 40% and improving. Don't need to see my cardiologist but once a year now!

They made a decision to put a implant pacemaker/defibrillator on me back then. Went into surgery and while under I woke up! Everyone yelling "Don, don't move! We are in your heart right now!" I said "Okay, but I can feel everything, can you put me back under?", They say "Nope, can do that!"

I stayed awake during the rest of the surgery, 1 and a half hours, talking to the surgical team about keeping a reef tank and the hobby! Oh, and my wife, kids and grandkids! Lol I got high fives from all the team for doing so well! Hey like I was going anywhere at the time! Lol

You may feel down at times, I know. it's normal, but kiddo, never surrender! You are young and have so much life to live! So many around you that love you and you have so many stores to tell your grandkids one day!

Hang in there and rest, heal and keep your head up! All of us are praying for you! God hears our prayers!

Lol I have to say you made me laugh lol. I have had some patients ask me about fast food etc before they get admitted etc. I think I’m scared on my legs because neither one of them will be strong and dr told me they can heal up super fast and be strong again or heal and not be strong and break again. To prevent that was the reason for the screws in my both of my femur bones. But my whole body hurts surprised they didn’t turn me into a mummy. I’m very glad your heart condition has improving, and hope it stays that way. I for one am not fond of being a patient lol, I can’t say I recommend it.
I will agree it’s an emotional roller coaster for me, and I have hit and misses throughout the day. Definitely have k2 in front of me so it will be interesting. Lol I won’t surrender but I’m still so medicated I havnt really had the taste of how bad it will be. But when the air bag fractured my sternum and ribs that was very painful and they have definitely upped the meds which scares me. Since everything is intravenous it’s almost instant. When I had my sternum fractured etc I had to wait and it was not super long. But they said I would be on medication for awhile unless I just heal super fast and no issues. But this has been really hard on my body and dr told me I have an advantage because I’m soo light I won’t put a lot of pressure on my femur bones. But I’m super clumsey and he is suggesting crutches lol yeah knowing me I will fall as soon as I get through the front door and have to go back and have surgery. Must say additional surgeries possibly does not sound fun. But keeping my fingers crossed and with as much milk as I drink I never thought I’d actually break a bone specially a femur.

@Katrina71 I agree with you but not going to lie I’m terrified. Granted they basically cut my Jeep in two sections, I don’t really have anything to drive. My dad and mum said it would be interesting to see what kinda of car I get, when I asked my dad for suggestions he said yeah how about an A1 abrams tank. Granted this just happened and I have a ways to go, but what’s scary is ( I didn’t know it at the time but I’m sooooo lucky I did), but there was an unmarked isp car behind me. So when the accident happened he was able to get response teams pretty fast. But he spoke to my parents and he doesn’t even know how we had a head on collision. He was certain I didn’t cross the line, but when sheriffs department did the accident scene they said the truck didn’t cross the center line either. So they didn’t cite us and (he walked away un harmed which I’m glad), but would not knowing what happened scares me. We were both tested for drugs alcohol etc both were clean. Granted I’m hoping to hear from them again, just to see what they find, and I will feel horrible if I’m at fault, but relieved that the other person was able to walk away. Sadly Boise is not really public transit friendly, so I know I will have to use a car again. I don’t think any car really holds up well under 55 mph and hitting something head on with equal speed or mass etc.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Doc, by the looks of your "non-dominant hand" typing, you're getting better already. That's good! Sorry but I didn't find any double cast cartoons for you but I did come across something else you might like;
shapeimage_9.png

Check it out at http://www.casttoo.com/Casttoo.com/Welcome.html when you feel up to it.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sarah24!
Wow what an update on your condition! Do you have someone transcribing for you? If not it must take a long time to post a message even with you having a young persons hyper trained texting thumbs. My wife might have nursing students at St. Luke's so keep them in line! The only one in here cycle are RN to BSN right now. The BSN students just finished their preceptor-ships in the last couple of months.

Your experiences can make you a superior Physician or jaded by the onslaught of pain. I am confident you will be the former! My prayers are with you and your family again today. Rest well in the knowledge that you are cared for and angels are watching over you!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah! I've been traveling so haven't had a chance to catch up on things. I'm not sure if you are one of the most unlucky people I've ever met because you found a way to have a head on accident while both staying in your lanes or if you are the luckiest person I've ever met for surviving!

I do hope your recovery continues to go well and that the pain and patient are both able to be managed. I know I wouldn't make a good patient either. That may be worse than the pain...

I can't really send a clown to visit you in the hospital to improve your mood.... and I don't have a picture of a clown fish to post... so how about old school? I'll treat you like a princess and post my Court Jester goby! The original clowns!

DSC_0014.jpg

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I've been away from R2R for a couple of months and am finally catching up and come across your thread! You've certainly been busy!! I'm very sorry to hear about your accident and know you'll heal up fast (one of the great things about being young). Hang in there!!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

So well the secret is out on what happened and painfully it was my fault. they said it was not a direct head on impact but drive side or left side of vehicles that collided (makes sense since most of my left side is damaged. According to the sheriffs department Th e dash cam from the officer behind me did show I was in my lane. But as the road goes it bends and I don’t remember doing this but I basically clipped the corner and it’s a tight road to begin with. the other driver was also on the center line (not over it), but I had about foot and a half over when going around the bend. I feel bad for the other driver I had no idea. The deputy however said that I have served enough punishment so declined to cite me (I’d rather have the citation then be here), or hurt another person. They did commend me for a person not having any violations ever, can sure crash a vehicle. I was kinda dying to know what happened and I never have or well knew I ever clipped corners on bends going over the center line. It’s good to know what mistake I made (which has cost me a lot), thinking about that. Yeah no cutting corners for me any more.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok, Sarah. Just concentrate on getting better. What's done is done. The other person was uninjured and your insurance company will deal with their property loss and bodily injury, if there was any. Just focus on healing up.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years ago I crashed my motorcycle ( completely my fault ) I was unconscious & air lifted to University Hospitals in Iowa City, Iowa. Kept medically induced in a coma for 10 days waiting for the swelling on my brain to subside. This left me being able to label myself as a brain injury survivor. You’re going to be your own worst critic knowing the truth in how the accident happened but like @Katrina71 & @Fin have already said, don’t beat yourself up & concentrate on your recovery. We’re glad you’re still here to share with us the story.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there

To those who have written promise havnt forgotten it’s just been long day promise to get back to all. I can say this for certain what ever they did lol in changing medication I beg to change it back because I can’t stay awake literally lol.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

So I am off for surgery again coming up here for my left leg. Hoping things to smooth and no issues. Been super exhausted but normal, here are a few more pics and took one of the pick line also. Off I go to the operating table off I go :). It nice to have nurses or aides help me with pics :) yes I had to crop some of them smaller because as hard as I tried they were taking right as they were getting me ready so yep. Had to for obvious reasons but best I could do for circumstances:)

55B3D4B1-1D0C-4353-AE13-8D5C0DAD9243.jpeg 26D83327-B31F-4330-8BA8-648A17D3D46C.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I have to admit the pain is still something that is bad. I can still feel the screws in my legs and rods. It’s like one of those bad slivers but all down my upper legs. They did take the epidural out. Personally I would have left it in for this surgery but dr said they are switch to administering it through the pick line with the others because they want me to start intensive physical rehab here shortly so they want me to start feeling how it is to move my right leg. It’s once less needle in me which is good.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I shuddered thinking about feeling rods and screws in my legs. Amazing what one can do when one is actually doing it. At least you understand it all and that certainly helps.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Sarah, I just saw this, and want you to know I'm praying for your recovery. This is a tough long road, and I'm so sorry you're having to walk through it. Know that we're here for you as a community and we will continue to pray for and encourage you as you go through this.

Back