Urgh seriously.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, when I feed my tangs I turn the powerheads off but leave the return on. The return alone gives quite a bit of flow so it gets them pretty active to catch the food. I feed LRS Heebivore frenzy supplemented with selcon and garlic (selcon every day and garlic every other day) as well as offer a full sheet of fresh nori 3 days a week (which lasts all of 10 mins)

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't do my giggle emoji

3A1545FA-08FC-4569-AB03-9B9266CC9861.gif

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well today was different and I tried a few different things and well it worked. I have been keeping a mix of brown and green nori in the tank. Again no idea who is eating it but it’s gone or it’s dissolving as it sits in the tank.

But today I said what the heck, let’s try frozen seaweed cubes, brine, myosis, with garlic guard and vitality. Surprised he went after everything and fairly quickly. I must say he is a huge tang and can move quick. I don’t think he is near as fast as my hippo or purple tang and tommini. So I have choosen to feed a little extra and I feed the smaller ones and as soon as he comes in then I add more so he gets equal amounts. But it was interesting to see and wish I had a video of it. But I have five blue green chromies and they zip after food also. But one of the larger dominant ones went after some of the same food, and well he was beat to the chase. As they kinda zipped across, the blue chromie wasn’t watching and the new tang went vertical, and the blue chromie ran straight into him, and just bounced right off and into the side of the tank. Needless to say, he didn’t come back out lol. But he is eating frozen and that’s a huge step forward and relief.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well today was different and I tried a few different things and well it worked. I have been keeping a mix of brown and green nori in the tank. Again no idea who is eating it but it’s gone or it’s dissolving as it sits in the tank.

But today I said what the heck, let’s try frozen seaweed cubes, brine, myosis, with garlic guard and vitality. Surprised he went after everything and fairly quickly. I must say he is a huge tang and can move quick. I don’t think he is near as fast as my hippo or purple tang and tommini. So I have choosen to feed a little extra and I feed the smaller ones and as soon as he comes in then I add more so he gets equal amounts. But it was interesting to see and wish I had a video of it. But I have five blue green chromies and they zip after food also. But one of the larger dominant ones went after some of the same food, and well he was beat to the chase. As they kinda zipped across, the blue chromie wasn’t watching and the new tang went vertical, and the blue chromie ran straight into him, and just bounced right off and into the side of the tank. Needless to say, he didn’t come back out lol. But he is eating frozen and that’s a huge step forward and relief.
Sounds like your fish take after you! I do wish you and yours would stop bumping into things moving at a high rate of speed! :p

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was finally able to per say finish setting up my living room from when I moved. It wasn’t super messy etc but my ocd finally had the best of me. There is still much to do, but now I can see the rank from my couch.

Now that I have jaws actually eating, I have seen him eat frozen foods now every time. But I can’t seem to get any of my tangs to eat nori or graze. Exception, jaws grazes a lot but never where I want him to. He seems to like power cords :|. Which means I still have to manually remove the gha. Which I definitely don’t enjoy and I still can’t see why since parameters are ideal. I have no nitrates or phosphates (not zero), but it’s false because I don’t know how much the gha is absorbing.

I am also gonna try and go back to work next week and try things fairly slow. It won’t count as time in my program missed three months so I have to start it over, but this will help me get ahead again possibly.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope they understand that you are still healing up and not expect you to keep up with that brutal schedule you had before. Are you sure it is not maybe too soon? I know you are probably going crazy sitting around looking at 4 walls all day, but you din’t want to overdo it so soon. How are you going to get to and from work?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was finally able to per say finish setting up my living room from when I moved. It wasn’t super messy etc but my ocd finally had the best of me. There is still much to do, but now I can see the rank from my couch.

Now that I have jaws actually eating, I have seen him eat frozen foods now every time. But I can’t seem to get any of my tangs to eat nori or graze. Exception, jaws grazes a lot but never where I want him to. He seems to like power cords :|. Which means I still have to manually remove the gha. Which I definitely don’t enjoy and I still can’t see why since parameters are ideal. I have no nitrates or phosphates (not zero), but it’s false because I don’t know how much the gha is absorbing.

I am also gonna try and go back to work next week and try things fairly slow. It won’t count as time in my program missed three months so I have to start it over, but this will help me get ahead again possibly.
Sounds like you are making great progress! I don't remember, do you have urchins in your tank? They can be hit or miss on hair algae. A Foxface could help too. Oh.. and how is your blob of snot doing? I'm guessing he is gone if you still have GHA issues.

Going back to work might help, its good to have a positive routine. As long as you start slow, like 10 hour days 6 days a week instead of the long weeks you had been working. With a light schedule like this you may feel you are on vacation! :p

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry I keep getting busy and missing my dear friends here. The new tang is doing good but has a white patch on his left fin, a few white spots on his nose. This definitely is not ick or virtual. But I assume it’s Bacterial or fungal. The problem is which? Never have fish disease so been reading but have not been getting far. I didn’t think to take pic but will in the morning. They have not increased and nose has been improving.

I did get a new coral also, which was told it’s a rainbow chalice but should be neat. :) how are my dear friends?

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry I keep getting busy and missing my dear friends here. The new tang is doing good but has a white patch on his left fin, a few white spots on his nose. This definitely is not ick or virtual. But I assume it’s Bacterial or fungal. The problem is which? Never have fish disease so been reading but have not been getting far. I didn’t think to take pic but will in the morning. They have not increased and nose has been improving.

I did get a new coral also, which was told it’s a rainbow chalice but should be neat. :) how are my dear friends?
Hopefully it’s nothing and improves quickly... do you have any pics of your rainbow chalice? How is your healing coming along?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So here are some pics, he moves fast, and they have not gotten worse so that’s a plus. They are actually smaller than the last week (ish). Now that he roams the tank, the others hide in the reef. Hmmm One would think the other fish wouldn’t care, I mean come on it’s only a naso.

44EDC2BD-1F84-46B6-869C-B93B53ABE894.jpeg 9F57CA85-78DC-4EFB-ADBE-C01E1D4A509E.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So here are some pics, he moves fast, and they have not gotten worse so that’s a plus. They are actually smaller than the last week (ish). Now that he roams the tank, the others hide in the reef. Hmmm One would think the other fish wouldn’t care, I mean come on it’s only a naso.

44EDC2BD-1F84-46B6-869C-B93B53ABE894.jpeg 9F57CA85-78DC-4EFB-ADBE-C01E1D4A509E.jpeg
Looks like Lympho. Fairly harmless virus that should go away when his stress goes down and he adjusts to the new tank.
Maybe he's worried about you and that is causing him stress, so take care of yourself, too! ;)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lympho. Fairly harmless virus that should go away when his stress goes down and he adjusts to the new tank.
Maybe he's worried about you and that is causing him stress, so take care of yourself, too! ;)

Hello,

He has started to swim a lot more and take the entire tank which is good. He is also eating a lot more on frozen (normally feed 5 not I’m at 8 and constant nori). The other fish are not sure what to expect probably due to his size. My purple tang has always been shy and hides in the reef with my tommini tang. But they were much more active when I had my last Naso. They still eat really good but it’s always super sly and quick. My blue hippo doesn’t even care she eats next to him. But I have seen him nip the clown and blue green chromies a few times now, which is very odd for a Naso. This one has clearly claimed the whole tank as his. Do to the increase in feeding and well my smaller ones are extremely fast compared to him, they all eat. Each day he get more and more relaxed in the tank.

Odd turn of events, my stupid clown fish that always bites me well is just dumb. If I stick my bare hand in, he will try and bite me every time. With out hesitating, he will actively pursue me any where in the tank. Now three times in a row, I have been using a 14 mil nitrile gloves, and they are black. When I stick my hand in, he abandons the frogspawn and hides back in the reef rocks. That is a mystery to me, but not sure if this is common.

Is there anything I can add to the tank or water to help easy stress? Every one says prime but doesn’t that just make tap water safe? Surprisingly parameters have stayed the same from the extra feeding. However still have gha all tests show very little if any. Starting to wonder if I let them come back up if some of my sps corals will bring their color back. Since I was dumb and bought buffer instead of alk, I have had no deaths in coral, but some lost their colors. Others did better but not sure where to move levels. Since it’s currently at 7-8 for alk, and 440 for calcium. I noticed a small change when I boosted the magnesium close to 1390. Was gonna go higher till my pc rainbow (definitely still alive), but went from the bright bright green, to brown. All polyps are the same just different color. In order to combat gha, I had more Mexican turbo snails, up to 30 now, and I’m also doing manual removal. It’s safe to assume my ball of snot is mia. The long spine sea urchin, I thought would eat the gha, Nope but he is always eating something. I was sad I had a nice lord acan and it was glued down. Either a turbo snail or the urchin knocked it off and it fell behind the rock work. I can’t reach it with out literally ripping the rock work out. But I’m still trying to find way but it’s st the very bottom kinda in the middle of the center base rock, which (the acans rolled inside one of its caves partially. It does get light and it’s still alive some how, but it’s just buried.

I have thought about having the lfs do bi weekly water changes but they suggest 80 gallons. At 1.75 a gallon, that’s almost a 100 dollars every two weeks. I’m liking not doing water changes. I have been searching to see if maybe 20-30 bi weekly would change anything. Problem is I can’t remember what salt mix they used. Always thought it was bad to have two different salt mixes in there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great to see Sarah on here and Not unusual for Naso behavior.
Bi weekly water changes should be adequate even at 30 gallons. As fir a conditioning additive, i really like tropic marin All in One. For the fish, kent Zoe which is a vitamin supplement is great for vitality as is garlic added to their good 2-3x per week

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see Sarah on here and Not unusual for Naso behavior.
Bi weekly water changes should be adequate even at 30 gallons. As fir a conditioning additive, i really like tropic marin All in One. For the fish, kent Zoe which is a vitamin supplement is great for vitality as is garlic added to their good 2-3x per week

Hello,

I have always used 2 caps of garlic guard (every feeding), with vitality as well which is 2 caps as well. I have not seen the Kent zoe or Tropic all in one. Definitely will look them up if I can get one instead of two and the price is cheaper. Food is quiet a bit more but for obvious reasons. I find myself lucky, of the people lucky to be given one, I was thee only person to get mine to eat. Others in lfs chimed in thinking they were wild caught so to size and that they constantly only grazed. Of course they always say eating great lol. I was never able to see any of them eat, before the one given to me was brought home. Now lol the aquarium wants me to explain to their staff how I did it. Simply kept adding food, and I tried every frozen food possible, and red, Brown, green nori. Even now not sure he eats the nori, maybe nibbles, but usually turbo snails some how manage to get to it. It always gets broken off and something eats it. I use to do a whole strip, nkw just half so it’s not wasted.

Trying to find motivation to untangle cords etc and make them pretty. Some reason it’s not there, but hoping it comes back soon. There has been some good growth in my tank, but also small growth. It total sounds contradictory lol, example the Jedi mind trick on the right grows really fast, but now my plating chalices, tequila sunrise, mystic sunset, red plating monti (which grows stupid fast,) really have not grown a lot since the move. Flow pumps are the same and I can’t put my finger on what the difference is. Most were placed in the same section fairly relative. But my Hollywood stunner has gone bananas. I would normally break that up and trade it but, st the moment is the main hiding spot for my new Naso. So I’d rather not place stress on him. My stinging Duncan and elegance are not struggling, but have not opened up like they use to. Which if I have nitrates and phosphates those usually do very well. I have two green softies, that went from tiny to an oak tree and no idea how to trim them. Yet my frogskin, myagyi tote grow great. But others have not made such advancements. It’s to the point do I mess with it and risk the ones doing great to get those and end up with the same problem, or they all go bad. Doesn’t make sense why Jedi mind trick is growing insane but Miami hurricane isnt, or pink ******* are both stagnant. Especially the other plating chalices or montiporas. I have reef roids and that adds lots of stuff. But hesitate because I am trying to get rid of the gha. Trimming seems to help, spreading has slow downed some. But maybe from me manually grabbing it. It’s not super long so grabbing with fingers is kinda hard.

curious to if I should increase the whites on my leds or decrease them. They both work for different reasons but my other acans are growing good and making new ones, as well. I am picky and want all of the corals to grow well. I like the natural full reef, not fond of small sticks :).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back