OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should keep stretching so your bones don't snap crackle or pop. Never had a file fish... wouldn't trust one in my system. I just ordered a herd of peppermint shrimp to deal with aptasia.

Hope you are doing well!

Hello,

I have been trying to get some but lfs is still out and they have no idea when. Not to mention here those are the same price as the file fish. Since most of my reef is being bratty it’s almost to a start over point. Well the left side is doing much better the right side is getting kinda sad, but I’m trying.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: your filefish - give it a week or two. The pair(s) in both of my tanks took about 10-14 days and one morning aiptasia is magically gone. The info I got from ORA - filefish are shy and feed on aiptasia at night.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: your filefish - give it a week or two. The pair(s) in both of my tanks took about 10-14 days and one morning aiptasia is magically gone. The info I got from ORA - filefish are shy and feed on aiptasia at night.

Hello,

Thanks I have know that and okay with that part. But he definitely isn’t shy. He has been chasing my large hippo tang, tommini tang, bellus angel
And chromies. The only one who slaps baxk is my purple tang. Oh and My hand biting clown is chased also, but he comes out in the day time and just swims around. I am thinking about turning the wave makers down or off at night since they don’t like flow.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been trying to get some but lfs is still out and they have no idea when. Not to mention here those are the same price as the file fish. Since most of my reef is being bratty it’s almost to a start over point. Well the left side is doing much better the right side is getting kinda sad, but I’m trying.
I just ordered some online. They have been very hard to get for a reasonable price this fall. My experience is that one or two shrimp won't do much of anything. The best bet is to buy 10+ and hope that at least 2 or 3 will start eating the aptasia and teach the others to do the same. I ordered 15.....

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Brew12 I was curious are these hydroids by chance?

Attachments

• 98C8A94A-9C79-4285-AA5E-E555C28B788A.jpeg
    98C8A94A-9C79-4285-AA5E-E555C28B788A.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 53

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Brew12 I was curious are these hydroids by chance?
I don't see anything resembling a hydroid. Are you referring to the palythoa's? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I see you have asterina starfish, also!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything resembling a hydroid. Are you referring to the palythoa's? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I see you have asterina starfish, also!

Hello,

Nope hydroids I didn’t know and from the description I thought those were but second guessed my self. Are the star fish bad?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Nope hydroids I didn’t know and from the description I thought those were but second guessed my self. Are the star fish bad?
Most types of asterina's are harmless members of your CuC. There are a few types that eat coral. If you see them on your coral you should be concerned. Otherwise, they are fine as long as they don't bother you to see them in there.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Oh.. and those Palythoa Grandis, if that is what they are, can be very dangerous. They can release a palytoxin when irritated. Be VERY careful if you decide to remove them from your system or try to cut them back.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a berghia nudibranch? Get a few of them to decimate your aptasia issue. I feel as if I murdered the spelling on this lol.

Hello,

Been trying to but lfs has not been able to get much of anything including turbo snails. Been having to use other cuc since I have lost a lot of turbos. I can’t believe they are 5.99 each now (gosh).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Been trying to but lfs has not been able to get much of anything including turbo snails. Been having to use other cuc since I have lost a lot of turbos. I can’t believe they are 5.99 each now (gosh).
Is your file fish not eating the aptasia? I thought the only issue is that he is aggressive.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Happy thanksgiving to all my friends and hope everyone enjoyed theirs. I added more clean up crew again and decreased my feeding. I have noticed that now all my fish are out a lot more and grazing, seems odd it was always 5 cubes a day, and now it’s 3 one day then 4 the next.
I’m hoping the file fish will do his job, but the more I read ahhh the more hit and miss they are. They seem to like corals which definitely was not mentioned to me. Kinda broke my own rule and didn’t really read up on them. Annoyed aptasia x doesn’t work at all, and it use to. Now it seems to be a waste or cause more of them. Some have become large so they are getting the chalk regardless. But they seem to come back just as large.

I do plan in trying to build or buy a raku kiln: they are not tooo hard to make. A tank of propane, a torch, garage cans (yes the metal ones lol, wood chips, and kiln bricks. But doing more research on them. I do like the look more than the glazed look but those have come out neat also.

oh and umm lol I can’t fire the nephew, he is family. I just tape off my tank with crime scene tape. Seems to keep them out and add humor since it’s been forever. It’s some good laughs now with family.
I had a file fish and it did eat aiptasia, but when he was done, he started in on my zoanthids. Keep an eye on it.

Don't waste your money on Aiptasia X. It will only make your problem worse. One thing that I have used recently that does work is called "F Aiptasia." It is also a paste, but it stays put on top of the anemone and they don't come back.

1606856915887.png

Hello,

As I sit here on the floor pondering why I should keep stretching, as I feel bones will snap crackle and pop, I didn’t realize what a feisty little cuss the file fish is. I never thought they were aggressive, and chase my tangs in the tank etc, (the purple tang not so much). Does anyone else have aggressive file fish? I’m also positive he is the ugly aptasia eating brown one :).
Definitely keep moving those bones. Listen to me giving advice to a doctor. LOL! Anyway, you know what you need to do. Just keep getting better.
Hello,

While I do believe in supporting LFS when possible, sometimes it is just best to order online. Do you ever order stuff on the net? Cleanup crews - www.reefcleaners.org Berghia Nudibranchs - www.saltyunderground.com I have used both and are good online vendors.

Remember that there is only one thing that eats aiptasia exclusively - Berghia Nudis. They won't bother anything else and will eat small and super large aiptasia. They will also breed in your tank. They are susceptible to predators though. Wrasses, crabs, etc. Introduce them at night where they can find safe hiding places. I had a nano with literally HUNDREDS of aiptasia and 8 berghia wiped them all out in about two months. They will die when their food source is exhausted, but they are very effective at getting rid of aiptasia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your file fish not eating the aptasia? I thought the only issue is that he is aggressive.

Hello,

I’m not sure if he is eating the aptasia yet it’s only been maybe a week. But he chases my fish, he is now avoiding the purple tang. Hopefully he avoids the others soon. I will just have to get the bergie and install them at night worse case.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the berghia, don't place them in the tank too close to the aiptasia at first. If the aiptasia gets hold of the nudis they will eat them. I saw that happen in my tank. I placed the nudis on a rock and it lost it's footing and fell into an aiptasia and the nudis was consumed. :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

For a turbo??
By me, 4 for $5 and astrea 6 for $5

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a turbo??
By me, 4 for $5 and astrea 6 for $5
Hello,

Wow are you serious, bloody heck whats with idaho this year? I’m about to find a new state, maybe move back to Seattle area or oregon even. (Obviously not just over turbo snails lol), but just prices in general. Probably help if I get a car before I decide that hmmmm. Moving on a razor scooter would be tuff on me. (And no it’s not motorized, plus it’s my nephews).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Wow are you serious, bloody heck whats with idaho this year? I’m about to find a new state, maybe move back to Seattle area or oregon even. (Obviously not just over turbo snails lol), but just prices in general. Probably help if I get a car before I decide that hmmmm. Moving on a razor scooter would be tuff on me. (And no it’s not motorized, plus it’s my nephews).
Scooter? Oh no
Many stores have either skyrocketed their pricing or taking advantage
Even in the Midwest here, everything has doubled or more and I’m NOT paying $229 for a purple tang that’s the size of a silver dollar

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back