OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little tip here... If you get a Jebao, get a BIG one. The smaller ones seize up, they don't have to power to crank through the bits of algae and slime that accumulate inside the pump. The little ones last a year or two. The bigger ones have a lot more power, and while you don't NEED to run it at a high rate, the pump has the physical torque to work through the gunk.

The big ones are a much safer bet...

Otherwise, I would suggest a few Tunze powerheads. Nothing comes close, and they aren't that expensive either. For the same price you can get Tunze 6025's.

Tunze 6025: https://www.amazon.com/Tunze-Turbel...&qid=1552209244&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1-catcorr
Thanks for the tip! I tried an ow 25 a while ago and sent it back because I felt like the lowest setting was still way to much flow I’ll have to reconsider!

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP: I stopped using powerheads altogether and haven't noticed any significant downsides. In larger tanks I do use eductors to multiply the flow. That said it's hard to overdo flow so it doesn't hurt to keep a powerhead in the tank if you don't mind it. I like running urchins in glass tanks and they will much on cords occasionally, so there's that benefit to not having them in there. Also overall less maintenance- and slightly less power consumption believe it or not... The key to creating in tank flow with just your main pump is to use a restrictive nozzle or eductor to increase the velocity of the water returning to the tank. This turns over the tank less and causes the pump to use slightly less power (in AC pumps). Also it's easy to think two outlets are better than one, but it means you need a much stronger pump to push the same velocity through two nozzles vs 1. I mean a 300 gallon tank can be run off a single pressure rated 1000gph pump. It might only turn the tank over 1.5x per hour but it's like having a single 3000gph powerhead creating continuous flow from the return inlet. The easiest way to get flow everywhere is to create a gyre type loop where the whole mass of the tank moves in a circular motion constantly. This seems to be quite effective overall.

Don't get me wrong, powerheads are fantastic! And the easiest way to fix a low flow issue by far. It's also generally feasible to run most tanks off only the return pump flow - but it requires more forethought and planning in the execution IME
I haven’t thought about changing my nozzle size! I have a 1000gph pump chokes back with a valve and 2 circular return nozzles, I might try switching to more pressurized ones!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t thought about changing my nozzle size! I have a 1000gph pump chokes back with a valve and 2 circular return nozzles, I might try switching to more pressurized ones!
Yup two 3/4" locline outlets can make 500gph feel like nothing. But reduce down to 1 locline return and/or put reduced 1/2" nozzles on and you'll get maybe only 250 to 300gph through it, but you'll blow sand across a tank if it's not throttled back. All about velocity. Play with the options. If you have that strong of a pump you can likely generate the flow you need without having to use a powerhead, just gonna need some tweaking to get it right.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup two 3/4" locline outlets can make 500gph feel like nothing. But reduce down to 1 locline return and/or put reduced 1/2" nozzles on and you'll get maybe only 250 to 300gph through it, but you'll blow sand across a tank if it's not throttled back. All about velocity. Play with the options. If you have that strong of a pump you can likely generate the flow you need without having to use a powerhead, just gonna need some tweaking to get it right.
I’ll give it a try thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back