Using ground probes in aquariums

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Brew12, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ingchr1

ingchr1 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would think it would be against code to have a device trip on fault then reset (restore power) on its own.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

If one were developed, it likely would be banned by code. In the utility world, reclosers are very common. This is why your lights will often flicker a few times at the start of a power outage.
    After the first trip, it the breaker will almost immediately reclose. If it trips again, a 3rd automatic close attempt 10 to 30 seconds later is common. If it trips again, the distribution line locks out. I doubt we will ever be allowed to use something like this in our homes.

Jomama and Dennis McGrath like this.
  3. ingchr1

ingchr1 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Somewhere in the code I think it states that if something trips on fault you have to investigate before you attempt to reclose. I'll see if I can find it during the week.

Utilities fall under their own rules and regulations. The intro to the NEC states that the code does not apply to them. They may follow it, but they are not required to.

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I don't recall seeing that in the 70E (NEC) but that doesn't mean it isn't in there. Big, boring, dry book and I can't claim to have read the entire thing.

I know it is in the 70B that you are allowed one reclose before investigating.

5. doubleohwhatever

doubleohwhatever Member

I wouldn't want a home with something like this installed. I've found too many wiring cut corners and general screwups inside the walls of homes.

I used to do the same. However, years ago I had a koralia leaking juice into a tank and I had isolated the tank via valves to clean the sump. I found out about the powerhead leaking current when I stuck my hand into the tank to do some cleaning. Lessons learned that day:

1) Don't buy koralias
    2) Ground the DT and the sump

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Brew12 likes this.
  6. Brew12

Completely agree. I was involved in a lawsuit between a hospital and an electrical contractor recently. The hospital had a major renovation done, but after that renovation much of their equipment wouldn't work correctly. Investigating it showed that the contractor connected a 2 foot wire to the ground connection on the outlets and shoved the unconnected end into the conduit to make it look like it was grounded. Over 800 outlets were connected this way.
    If an electrical contractor is willing to do this in a hospital, imagine what they would do in your house.

Bob Escher and Jomama like this.
  7. KStatefan

KStatefan Active Member

Holy Cow

8. Samandar

Samandar Member Reef Tank 365

Hi, very informative. Thank you.

9. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

Better go disable our 2 / 3 shot reclosers.

1 for lightning
    2 for birds
    3 to give her a lil more waahh boy.

10. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

Yeah the purpose of the recloser is to burn off the Bird / Branch, is that what you want on your tank? haha.

norfolkgarden likes this.
  11. ckalupa

ckalupa Active Member R2R Supporter

I know this is an old post. Excellent write up. I have been tickled by failed heaters in years gone by also. Excellent argument for keeping electronics out of the DT as much as possible (ecotech wave makers may be the only way for doing this and keeping flow?). Nice cabinet assembly @Brew12

Do you all use Ground probes in both DT and sump?

12. Brew12

Thanks, glad you liked it!

I only put one in my sump. I consider the risk minimal since the only time it doesn't protect the entire system is when the return pump is off. And everything is still GFCI protected.

13. Reefluv456

Reefluv456 Member

I went all DC but two heaters on two separate gfci outlets , putting massive amounts of ac electronics in saltwater has always bothered me.

14. Brew12

Just so you are aware, the speed controller of a DC pump converts the DC back to AC. Granted, it is normally at a lower voltage, but it is still AC. All DC motors have carbon brushes connecting to the rotor. If it doesn't have brushless, it isn't DC.

15. Bmwm235i

Bmwm235i Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Added my ground probe to the new system a week ago. First time using a ground prob since starting in the hobby, cant give a good reason why i never have in the past.

norfolkgarden and Brew12 like this.
  16. Jase4224

Jase4224 Active Member

Thanks for this info I will purchase a ground probe for my safety!

norfolkgarden and Brew12 like this.
  17. Jase4224

Jase4224 Active Member

Question: is a ground probe simply a connection between the aquarium water and the neutral pin via a wire? Or is there more to it ?

18. Brew12

Its a connection between the water and the homes ground. The neutral and the ground should be connected at the distribution panel so they do all end up connected eventually.

Jase4224 and norfolkgarden like this.
  19. Jase4224

Jase4224 Active Member

Sorry I meant to say ground not neutral, don’t know what I was thinking there. Thanks for correcting me!

Brew12 likes this.
  20. PaulPerger

PaulPerger Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Can a ground probe be plugged into a power strip? Or should they be only plugged directly into an outlet?

Draft saved Draft deleted