Using ground probes in aquariums

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off every electrical device in my system before ever putting my hand in/on the tank; with a controller it is just the push of a button; had an issue some months back where one of my hydor powerheads was faulty and I felt some tingling every time I touched the tank; I'm not taking any chances!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off every electrical device in my system before ever putting my hand in/on the tank; with a controller it is just the push of a button; had an issue some months back where one of my hydor powerheads was faulty and I felt some tingling every time I touched the tank; I'm not taking any chances!
That is definitely a safe option! I do have a switch set up on my Apex to turn everything off but I really created that in the event of a catastrophic water leak. Even though I use a ground probe I may consider doing that.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the grounding probe with a suction cup to hold it down. Darn thing keeps popping loose and floating.
Glad to know you are using one! I keep mine in a magnetic probe holder with my temp and pH probe. Works very well for me but I realize not everyone used probes.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a few power strip plugged into my wall outlets.can I plug the probe into a power strip or does it have to be in the wall to work?
The wall would be better, but it should work just fine plugged into your power strip.

v10king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried ground probes in the past and they haven't done anything for me but Im sure I don't have an electrical spark? Probably could help save someone in the event of something short circuiting in the tank.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried ground probes in the past and they haven't done anything for me but Im sure I don't have an electrical spark? Probably could help save someone in the event of something short circuiting in the tank.
Ideally, a ground probe should have nothing to do but reduce induced voltages in the aquarium. It's strictly a safety precaution for an electrical failure inside the tank.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, a ground probe should have nothing to do but reduce induced voltages in the aquarium. It's strictly a safety precaution for an electrical failure inside the tank.

I have a Reef Keeper Elite and whenever I have the USB plugged into my computer, the Reefkeeper sensors are all irratic, i.e. Salinity probe giving way off readings...as soon as I unplug the USB, everything is fine. I've heard it is because of stray voltage. Will the grounding probe help with this?!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Keeper Elite and whenever I have the USB plugged into my computer, the Reefkeeper sensors are all irratic, i.e. Salinity probe giving way off readings...as soon as I unplug the USB, everything is fine. I've heard it is because of stray voltage. Will the grounding probe help with this?!
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Have you tried using a different USB cable? It sounds more like a voltage issue between your Reefkeeper and your computer.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Have you tried using a different USB cable? It sounds more like a voltage issue between your Reefkeeper and your computer.
Yes tried different cable and different unpowered hub. Same result. I ca take the probe out of the sump and out it in a glass of tank water and it acts right. Put it back in the sump and it goes loopy again. Them reef keeper is plugged into a 3 prong grounded outlet. There is no other option to ground. Same with the
Computer.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very True but I wish we had 220-230 over here it would save a little power, yes we have in the box for driers heaters and Ac but not for normal outlet wires, wish we did.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes tried different cable and different unpowered hub. Same result. I ca take the probe out of the sump and out it in a glass of tank water and it acts right. Put it back in the sump and it goes loopy again. Them reef keeper is plugged into a 3 prong grounded outlet. There is no other option to ground. Same with the
Computer.
I think using a ground probe is important anyway, but I doubt it will fix your issue.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very True but I wish we had 220-230 over here it would save a little power, yes we have in the box for driers heaters and Ac but not for normal outlet wires, wish we did.
Higher voltage hardly saves any power. Higher voltage allows for lower current for the same power. That does save some loses but it is fairly negligible at the household level. A 300w heater will use almost the exact same amount of power at 22oV as at 120V.

Aiden Parker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice! Electricity can be deadly for a reef tank! Especially since when electricity touches saltwater, it produce hypochlorous acid (HClO) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which are the sanitizing agents commonly used in swimming pools.

I had a buddy that went away for a weekend, came back home, and his 200G tank was 100% dead. The return pump had something major wrong with it, and the electricity was in the water all weekend. He sent a water sample off to a lab and it came back with the results of high levels of chlorine.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why shouldn't we use portable GFCIs?
There is nothing wrong with the use of portable GFCI's. In fact, I like the idea of using them for individual loads. These are fantastic when used in conjunction with grounding probes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back