OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your apex then connect to an in-wall gfci receptacle?
No. When I used that system the powerbar plugged into the wall. 4 of the Apex outlets controlled the 4 GFCI receptacles. That way a single ground wouldn't take out more than the failed device.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. When I used that system the powerbar plugged into the wall. 4 of the Apex outlets controlled the 4 GFCI receptacles. That way a single ground wouldn't take out more than the failed device.

That's what I figured. Seemed like it would have defeated the purpose. Thank you

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water is so much more conductive than fresh and that said I have a grounding probe in my sump. I don't have anything electronic in the display tank itself - I use MP40's so that the electronics/power are on the outside and the wet side has no power.

My heaters, skimmer, pumps, etc are all in my sump where my grounding probe is. I mean - it was as simple as plugging it into a good grounded receptacle and putting the other end in the tank.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could 14 ACV cause twitching/scratching/yawning?

I just finished hypo/ttm on some fish and the last 2-3 days they're starting to show those symptoms. I checked voltage the other day (because I'd found a new power head leaking 25v in a different qt) and it was below 1v, symptoms presented and voltage is now at 13-14v.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could 14 ACV cause twitching/scratching/yawning?

I just finished hypo/ttm on some fish and the last 2-3 days they're starting to show those symptoms. I checked voltage the other day (because I'd found a new power head leaking 25v in a different qt) and it was below 1v, symptoms presented and voltage is now at 13-14v.
I'd say it is possible, but not sure how likely it is. If the power head is actually bad and it isn't induced voltage it could be releasing toxins into the tank. That could also cause these symptoms.

I would also check for flukes if you haven't already done a FW dip.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it is possible, but not sure how likely it is. If the power head is actually bad and it isn't induced voltage it could be releasing toxins into the tank. That could also cause these symptoms.

I would also check for flukes if you haven't already done a FW dip.

Yeah, it was a stretch. I did a dip this morning and found nothing. I'm afraid a droplet made it into qt from ttm.

catmonaco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Have always thought about this when I had my first tanks, but never realized or heard of grounding probes in the tanks. Funny that the first thing I bought in my process of setting up this tank was the giving and now I’m off to shop for grounding probe. Thanks for all this great info. I’ve always been wary of having a “shocking” experience, but didn’t realize just how easily this could happen.

catmonaco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Have always thought about this when I had my first tanks, but never realized or heard of grounding probes in the tanks. Funny that the first thing I bought in my process of setting up this tank was the giving and now I’m off to shop for grounding probe. Thanks for all this great info. I’ve always been wary of having a “shocking” experience, but didn’t realize just how easily this could happen.
Duh, I was just looking at photos of my first tank and there is a ground probe in it. Wow, the memory is dho lol

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

I have multiple electrical boxes (I think 10 in total). Each box has 4 gfci plugs. Won't the gfci blow in whatever the grounding wire is plugged into and not necessarily the plug that is shorting if lets say a heater is shorting in another box?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

I have multiple electrical boxes (I think 10 in total). Each box has 4 gfci plugs. Won't the gfci blow in whatever the grounding wire is plugged into and not necessarily the plug that is shorting if lets say a heater is shorting in another box?

No the GFCI only looks at the hot and neutral if it is not equal it trips the circuit. The ground wire does not mater it will trip in which ever device has the imbalance.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

No, it will not.

A GFCI works by measuring the current between the hot wire and the neutral wire. They will even work on older homes without ground wires. The concept is that if the current isn't exactly matched between the two prongs then some current must be going elsewhere. The ground probe provides that path to "elsewhere" so that the GFCI will trip if a component fails instead of waiting for us to become that path.

In short, you can plug the ground probe into any outlet in your house... or your neighbors house.... and the correct GFCI will trip.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will not.

A GFCI works by measuring the current between the hot wire and the neutral wire. They will even work on older homes without ground wires. The concept is that if the current isn't exactly matched between the two prongs then some current must be going elsewhere. The ground probe provides that path to "elsewhere" so that the GFCI will trip if a component fails instead of waiting for us to become that path.

In short, you can plug the ground probe into any outlet in your house... or your neighbors house.... and the correct GFCI will trip.

Ok awesome thank you for the reply.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So easy to install and for its very low cost and elimination of stray voltage to the aquarist and tank inhabitants.

OneReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be answered in the 20+ pages that I don’t have time to read through, but will a plug in GFCI like the Shockbuster work ok for a GFCI outlet for my tanks equipment, or is a real GFCI outlet box enough of a better difference to take the time to install? Would a real GFCI outlet box handle power outage 1 second blinks better, as far as not tripping it off, like what might happen with a Shockbuster plugin type? Thanks

6731D409-D859-4421-A950-B5ED61F6E9B5.png

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be answered in the 20+ pages that I don’t have time to read through, but will a plug in GFCI like the Shockbuster work ok for a GFCI outlet for my tanks equipment, or is a real GFCI outlet box enough of a better difference to take the time to install? Would a real GFCI outlet box handle power outage 1 second blinks better, as far as not tripping it off, like what might happen with a Shockbuster plugin type? Thanks

6731D409-D859-4421-A950-B5ED61F6E9B5.png
I think it should work ok. Doing it this way has some real advantages. Over time, the filter in a GFCI that prevents false trips can drift to the point it becomes less effective. This is much easier to change out than a GFCI outlet.

Back