Using Hydrogen Peroxide

  • Thread starter Thread starter mucky1957
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mucky1957

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2013
Messages
390
Reaction score
286
Location
Manchester. England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dragon blood algae in my marine tank ( softies and a few fish ). I've pulled a lot out and all that is left is what is stuck to the rocks which I can't take out of the tank as the rocks are fused together.
I want rid of the algae completely. I have read differing reports that I can / can't use hydrogen peroxide 3% in the tank.
Iv'e seen a few posts on here but none include the dragon blood algae.
Can anyone advise please.
Thanks in advance.
 
Personally, I don't care for the idea of dosing hydrogen peroxide in a display tank because it's an indiscriminate oxidizer, and may negatively affect beneficial organisms in your tank, beyond just the algae you're trying to eradicate.

Is there not a fish, or Clean Up Crew critter that will eat this algae?
 
I agree with @Fish Fan and @Randy Holmes-Farley. I would be reluctant to dose the entire tank with hydrogen peroxide with the hope of eliminating algae. This is coming from a person who has a jug of 12% hydrogen peroxide sitting in my closet of chemicals. If you have no or limited coral you would try fluconazole or go straight API Algaefix.
 
I have tried Flux RX before and it did nothing ( for the life of me I can't remember what I did to 'remove' it last time )...re fish or cuc..Im hoping someone offers a solution.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new