Using new salt

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!!!

I'm going to start making my own saltwater since I just got a RODI system and I was wondering what the best way to transfer over to a new salt is? I previously just used natural seawater (what my lfs had), and now want to use Reef Crystals.

Any advice???

Thanks sm #reefsquad

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you normal water changes and test:)

If if were me, I would stick with the natural seawater.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!!!

I'm going to start making my own saltwater since I just got a RODI system and I was wondering what the best way to transfer over to a new salt is? I previously just used natural seawater (what my lfs had), and now want to use Reef Crystals.

Any advice???

Thanks sm #reefsquad

Id use nsw its going to have all the ions in the right quantaties. With synthetic salt you risk human error. For example seachem salt has something like 600 ppm of potassium. It should be 400. Also i found in my icp test my sulfur was high and chloride was low due to the salt mix. If i could i choose nsw for these reasons. Why switch?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice if Ya could collect your own water but believe me I know what a hassle it can be ! Iv'e changed to different salts brand several times. You need to look out for is a change in parameters. One or 2 water changes won't be a big deal as it just gets diluted with the existing water. Ok ,so if the salt You choose to use has a real high Ca or Alk perhaps, then it will be different than what neighbors are used to & may not like it. Every brand of salt out there most likely has a different level ,some quit high. I understand that Instant Ocean has levels fairly close to seawater. I don't know for sure haven't used IO in a long time. Just choose one & try it I guess. You need to know what the levels are now in your tank & what a container of new water is & take account. Let us know how it goes !

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you normal water changes and test:)

If if were me, I would stick with the natural seawater.
I would keep using the nsw but in the long run it's more expensive and I'm getting a little tired of driving 30 mins to my lfs to lug 10 gallons water every week:confused:

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id use nsw its going to have all the ions in the right quantaties. With synthetic salt you risk human error. For example seachem salt has something like 600 ppm of potassium. It should be 400. Also i found in my icp test my sulfur was high and chloride was low due to the salt mix. If i could i choose nsw for these reasons. Why switch?
I'm switching because it's more expensive in the long run and I don't want to drive 30 mins to my lfs to lug the heavy water around.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice if Ya could collect your own water but believe me I know what a hassle it can be ! Iv'e changed to different salts brand several times. You need to look out for is a change in parameters. One or 2 water changes won't be a big deal as it just gets diluted with the existing water. Ok ,so if the salt You choose to use has a real high Ca or Alk perhaps, then it will be different than what neighbors are used to & may not like it. Every brand of salt out there most likely has a different level ,some quit high. I understand that Instant Ocean has levels fairly close to seawater. I don't know for sure haven't used IO in a long time. Just choose one & try it I guess. You need to know what the levels are now in your tank & what a container of new water is & take account. Let us know how it goes !
For sure! thanks so much for your help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back