Using RODI water

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a standard ro system you could just buy additional canisters and add them to the existing system. I started mine as a 4 stage. Bought three canister an DC a bracket. It's now a 7 stage monster. 2 to membranes and booster pump. Still using the original 4 stage parts.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a standard ro system you could just buy additional canisters and add them to the existing system. I started mine as a 4 stage. Bought three canister an DC a bracket. It's now a 7 stage monster. 2 to membranes and booster pump. Still using the original 4 stage parts.
I didn’t know anything at all about a RODI systems when I bought the one I have... I just bought a monster 7 stage from BRS with all the bells and whistles. Mine doesn’t even have a flush valve...

lesson learned

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Mostly double post

Also if you do have co2 in your source water you will still deplete your di resin fast.
i don’t know how to test for that... My source water is running at 189 TDS.

Since I just bought a new system that will be here on the 13th, I solved my temporary issue by using up all my extra filters I have for this system. IE, I just replaced ALL 4 of them... TDS is back to zero.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly checking your tds at the membrane. If it low say 2 to 10? And your depleting di resin fast, you probably have co in your source. But you also have to bypass first few minutes of the ro line so that doesn't deplete your resin.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I started small on purpose with the intention of adding on as I saw fit. Knowing that the pipe fittings and 1/4 inch tubing is standard.
Lol... I just flat out didn’t know anything at all about RODI systems when I bought the one I have. My fault, I should have done more research. This is that piece of equipment I told myself... I’ll learn as I go.. it’s just a water filter right?

lol.. yeah, I’m an idiot

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly checking your tds at the membrane. If it low say 2 to 10? And your depleting di resin fast, you probably have co in your source. But you also have to bypass first few minutes of the ro line so that doesn't deplete your resin.
That makes sense to me now : )

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got mine for a amazing deal on bulk reef a year ago

93C05A6E-4D67-4456-A1EA-F34E21C77640.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a source water of less than 200 and if you are going thru resin fast you may have either a faulty system or high co2.

You can buy a co2 water test kit from www.spectrapure.com

I prefer their cartridges and systems.

I have a maxcap standard and i run high 300s tds source and co2 present but deairate before DI

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know anything about ro directly. But to me it's just plumbing right? Lol. I just refuse to be limited or constrained by anything lol.
I’ve been dealing with a diatom bloom for awhile now... I finally learned I needed to check TDS levels. It was at 149 when I finally did. So, now I have been checking it like crazy. I am soooooo close to having this diatom gone that I am unwilling to use anything above zero TDS at the moment.

I like your comment about not being limited or constrained! ....hence I just bought a new toy : )

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you do have a new system on the way you'll have those 3 canisters from your 4 stage you can reuse for whatever you want.
Such as media reactors, carbon or gfo, by adding a pump you can run your aquarium water through one with a fine micron filter to polish your water. That's all the reactors from brs are anyway.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-dual-reactor.html

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a source water of less than 200 and if you are going thru resin fast you may have either a faulty system or high co2.

You can buy a co2 water test kit from www.spectrapure.com

I prefer their cartridges and systems.

I have a maxcap standard and i run high 300s tds source and co2 present but deairate before DI
I’ll look into the CO2 test kit. Thank you

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are saying a need a better system? That is entirely possible. Mine does not have a manual switch for flushing. It appears to be happening on some type of automated basis. There is a return line going back to the drain, but it is not operated by a switch.
Feel free to call us when you are in front of your system if you'd like help troubleshooting. Please ask for Russ

Back