Using RODI water

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a standard 4 stage RODI system and I am somewhat unhappy with its performance. I recently changed the lower 3 filters. I’ve had at most, 250 gallons of water go thru it and now my TDS is already up to 2.

Is that normal? And if it is, do I need to replace all 3 filters again already? Or is one of these filters more important than the other 3?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a standard 4 stage RODI system and I am somewhat unhappy with its performance. I recently changed the lower 3 filters. I’ve had at most, 250 gallons of water go thru it and now my TDS is already up to 2.

Is that normal? And if it is, do I need to replace all 3 filters again already? Or is one of these filters more important than the other 3?
Are you flushing the system before each use this can be a simple tds creap that you are seeing.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 could be your issue. I was burning through more resin than this.

It was a simple fix.

I pump my RO water straight into a 20gal brute, then let it mix with an mj900 pump and airstone overnight to get rid of the excess c02.

The next day i hook up an mj1200 and pump the RO watee through my DI resins.

My first stage was showing 2 tds and now after this new offgassing method, it shows only 1 tds on the same batch of resin.
Final stage 0.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bought several rodi systems from Amazon and was not happy. Like you said flow changes or tds. Recently purchased brs 4 stage value system. Higher output, integrated tds and flushing valve for membrane. Did I say it was more efficient; less waste water. They are in it for the long haul.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was a simple fix.

I pump my RO water straight into a 20gal brute, then let it mix with an mj900 pump and airstone overnight to get rid of the excess c02.

My first stage was showing 2 tds and now after this new offgassing method, it shows only 1 tds on the same batch of resin.
Final stage 0.
I have not tried using an air stone. Instead I have been hanging my hose on the side of the barrel and then let the pump run to circulate the water. I assumed the water splashing down from above was enough to aerate the water

CAE42BC0-A112-4E8A-9F0F-68152711F59F.jpeg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to learn something new here... “flushing” the system? I do not know what you mean.

You can learn a lot from this thread by Russ @Buckeye Hydro

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was a simple fix.

Final stage 0.
Do you mean excess co2 in the tap water?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought several rodi systems from Amazon and was not happy. Like you said flow changes or tds. Recently purchased brs 4 stage value system. Higher output, integrated tds and flushing valve for membrane. Did I say it was more efficient; less waste water. They are in it for the long haul.
You are saying a need a better system? That is entirely possible. Mine does not have a manual switch for flushing. It appears to be happening on some type of automated basis. There is a return line going back to the drain, but it is not operated by a switch.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a 3 way valve/di bypass valve is what you want. A flush valve is highly debated.

The DI bypass valve flushes the TDS creep out of the outlet side of the RO membrane before it reaches the resin where the flush valve does not. So all that tds creep ends up prematurely wasting your DI resins.

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tds right after the membrane? Decent membranes will filter between 96 to 99 percent. Like another poster said you want to direct the first 5 or so minutes of the membranes product water to remove the tds creep. I run mine until I see about 4 tds. Then close the valves and let that through the di resin.
Not flushing the tds creep will deplete your di resin fast as the first few minutes can actually be higher than your source water.

I also flush mine around 5 minutes on startup. this bypasses the flow restrictor allowing full flow to allegedly wash any junk off the ro membrane.

Someone else mentioned co2 in the source water I have no experience on this but it can alsobe an issue. It seems Most people withthis issue stores the product water right off the ro membrane in a container to out gas and then pump this water slowly through the di ressin into a separate container.

Edit if you have low tds right off the membrane and still depleting di resin fast you likely have co2 in source water.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved. Thanks for the advice. I just got this...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tds right after the membrane? Decent membranes will filter between 96 to 99 percent. Like another poster said you want to direct the first 5 or so minutes of the membranes product water to remove the tds creep. I run mine until I see about 4 tds. Then close the valves and let that through the di resin.
Not flushing the tds creep will deplete your di resin fast as the first few minutes can actually be higher than your source water.

I also flush mine around 5 minutes on startup. this bypasses the flow restrictor allowing full flow to allegedly wash any junk off the ro membrane.

Someone else mentioned co2 in the source water I have no experience on this but it can alsobe an issue. It seems Most people withthis issue stores the product water right off the ro membrane in a container to out gas and then pump this water slowly through the di ressin into a separate container.

Edit if you have low tds right off the membrane and still depleting di resin fast you likely have co2 in source water.
The system I have doesn’t have an inline TDS meter or a valve for flushing. I just bought a really nice new system from BRS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back