Utility Pumps Reef Safe?

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 utility/sump pumps that I want to use for mixing saltwater and transferring to tank also to move ro to Ato reservoir and saltwater bin. The two pumps I have are these. I’m ok if I need to rinse either out between saltwater use. Just don’t want anything leaching into the water. I want the Sicce utility pump but also saving money for other equipment.

Little Giant 6-CIM-R
4462838E-ADF0-438A-9F8A-04B2343A0C73.png

Ironton 1/8 HP from northern tool
294EB6CD-3F5F-4500-8B0A-807302A9C1DC.png

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the major potential issue with those would be salt corrosion of iron and or copper components they may have. If they're used for a short amount of time to mix your salt water and transfer it, then rinsed thoroughly, you're probably safe. Just don't let them sit in the saltwater. All that being said, it's probably not the best idea. I know you're trying to save money, but you can buy simple, used big aqueon (or similar) pumps on the classifieds here for pretty cheap I'm sure. That's the type of thing lots of us have extras sitting around collecting dust.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above.
I'd recommend the zero utility pump by sicce. $85 on sale and it's the most useful pump I have.
Salt water is not NICE!

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards what y’all are saying. Just didn’t want to accept it. Do either of you think the little giant would be fine in the ro water alone? Or better to just not risk it

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In RO water alone is probably fine. If you're worried about it, don't let it sit in there any longer than you need to pump water. You can also check the TDS of your RO container every once in a while to make sure it's still at 0...that would be a good way to make sure it's not leaching anything,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back