UV for velvet?

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, PLEASE HELP
so I have a 20 gallon long tank and have had a BAD velvet problem. Only one fish surviving. I have dosed with copper but hate adding chemicals to water. Would a UV AA GKM 9watt help eradicate velvet with my copper?? I know this isn’t the greatest UV for parasites, but since my tank is small I was wondering if this oversized UV will do the trick.
Thank you!

OP
OP
J

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added copper already. I’m just asking if the GKM 9 watt could kill parasites if put on a 20 gallon tank. Is it oversized enough that it will harm parasites? Or is it not strong enough?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added copper already. I’m just asking if the GKM 9 watt could kill parasites if put on a 20 gallon tank. Is it oversized enough that it will harm parasites? Or is it not strong enough?
after 17 yrs, the only UV I trust is aqua ultraviolet…., suggest not to get GKM

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will UV kill parasites that are attached to the fish or in the sand or rock?
it won’t but that’s not the argument to not consider UV IMO. UV is indeed limited as it’s effective to treat parasites or bacteria is a function of the bulb age, cleanliness of the casing, flow rate, & plumbing scheme. But given todays high price on fish & all the trouble we go through to keep them, it’s a good investment to get a good UV to help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won’t but that’s not the argument to not consider UV IMO. UV is indeed limited as it’s effective to treat parasites or bacteria is a function of the bulb age, cleanliness of the casing, flow rate, & plumbing scheme. But given todays high price on fish & all the trouble we go through to keep them, it’s a good investment to get a good UV to help.
I'm confused how it is not the argument? OP asked if UV will help with velvet eradication? I basically told him no by providing examples of how a UV is not practical. Some people swear by them some don't. I elect not to use one in my tank as i see no reason to kill off good bacteria to "maybe" help with another issue. Just opens a door to problems in my opinion.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused how it is not the argument? OP asked if UV will help with velvet eradication? I basically told him no by providing examples of how a UV is not practical. Some people swear by them some don't. I elect not to use one in my tank as i see no reason to kill off good bacteria to "maybe" help with another issue. Just opens a door to problems in my opinion.
I see. The only thing that “eradicates” non-copper resistant strain of velvet is copper IME. UV helps but it doesn’t eradicate velvet or whatever else that’s in the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. The only thing that “eradicates” non-copper resistant strain of velvet is copper IME. UV helps but it doesn’t eradicate velvet or whatever else that’s in the tank.
I agree and honestly the OP should not have added copper to his DT. Should have moved the fish to QT.

crinklymoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just let the last talk me into buying a 200 dollar uv filter. Tried to argue, but **** he was good havnt even been doing this a year. Nasty case of velvet wiped my 55 gallon out except one blue spotted puffer. Frits copper safe saved his butt. I let my desperation to save my dog face in my other tank take over just wanted api test kits for chelated copper should've returned it, but stuck it in my tank already. Already had copper in for two weeks fish looks horrible. Been giving it fresh baths. Aqua top sp-13

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back