Uv steriliser

richiep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I installed a DD 39watt steriliser into my red reef 525, the steriliser is turning the water around at about 1500lt p.h, this morning I find the water is by passing my skimmer, the water is being taken from the first compartment but after its gone through the reefmat, it then goes through the steriliser and returns into the return pump chamber, this as now an affect on the skimmer chamber
Is there any reason why I can't return the steriliser to the skimmer chamber
I don't think turning the steriliser down will solve things if anything the steriliser will not be performing as it should, or can it be returned to the first chamber

OP
OP
richiep

richiep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uv is in the first chamber taking water after it comes through the reefmat 1200,the same chamber holds some biomedia to help with cycling, the water then goes to the second chamber with a red sea 900 skimmer,from there to the return chamber, I plummed the uv to return to the chamber, by doing this there's not enough water to keep the skimmer circulating and sending it to the return chamber which means the water in the skimmer chamber is circulating the same water
The uv is turning 1500lph so reducing the flow is not really an option
So for now I've got the uv return coming back to the skimmer chamber

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the absolute best results, it is better to run the UV as a closed loop- from the sump through the UV to the tank and the water returned from the drain line to the sump. Having the water go from the from the chamber in the sump, through the UV and then returned to the last chamber in the sump is very inefficient. This is because there is a limited amount of water going through the UV mainly located in the sump. The water from the tank itself needs to go through the UV as you will be assured that 100 % of the tank water goes through the UV. It is also recommend that you get 3-5 times tank turnover per hour going through the UV for Protozoa which is a very slow flow and a substantially higher flow for algae control.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends why you are running the UV and how efficient you need/want it to be, if it’s just there because it’s nice to have a UV and not because you have an issue that needs fixing then I would be happy with the setup if it’s working.

OP
OP
richiep

richiep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends why you are running the UV and how efficient you need/want it to be, if it’s just there because it’s nice to have a UV and not because you have an issue that needs fixing then I would be happy with the setup if it’s working.
What you say is so true, I think I should address all the points out mention

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back