UV Sterilizer Installation 5-Minute Guide!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two major tips to installing your UV Sterilizer correctly so that it can perform the function you got it for.

Today Ryan identifies how to properly install the UV Sterilizer correctly to make sure it does it's job!

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a question about UV installation. Could we plumb the UV (if sized appropriately) to the overflow full siphon drain to achieve a closed loop system and not add the restriction to the return pump. All the water in the full siphon overflow would pass through the uv which would be the majority of the water passing through the sump. This would only work if you have a reliable emergency drain in case something plugged the siphon but must overflows have an emergency drain these days. This has been my plan for reconfigure my UV so I can remove the pump running the UV and still maintain the same sump turnover.

tptguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just searching for UV plumbing tips today as I consider purchasing one. This video dropped shortly after and gives me a little more information, but I could still use a diagram or more description.

The plumbing method that might work best for me is connecting to one of two return pumps. I’m currently running only one pump, but might be able to split it out. Is the idea to have one of the return pumps pass water through the sterilizer then up a single return?

Also, from this video it sounds like the unit needs to be mounted vertically. Is that a requirement?

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two good places to install a UV-C unit, just before and in line with the skimmer or just after the skimmer. A good UV-C is able to kill everything passing true it, if not, the cure may be worse as the disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just searching for UV plumbing tips today as I consider purchasing one. This video dropped shortly after and gives me a little more information, but I could still use a diagram or more description.

The plumbing method that might work best for me is connecting to one of two return pumps. I’m currently running only one pump, but might be able to split it out. Is the idea to have one of the return pumps pass water through the sterilizer then up a single return?

Also, from this video it sounds like the unit needs to be mounted vertically. Is that a requirement?

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.
Depends of the UV-C lamp used in the unit. Standard UV-C lamps must be used horizontally. Pellet amalgam lamps may be used both ways. For vertical use, you must have a unit that is approved to be used vertically. Often they also have a special ballast. More expensive lamps are used in units for vertical use, but they are more powerful, they have more UV-C output for the same energy consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels V

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, isn't it inherent to the use of a sump that some amount of water will be recirculated through the filtration equipment? Just like a UV sterilizer, this would be true for our skimmer or a media reactor as well. If we would like to limit this effect, we would have to plum all of the equipment in closed loops from the display tank (which would defeat the purpose why a lot of us have a sump, neither would it be very economically efficient).

So, wouldn't it just make more sense to have a higher sump to display tank turnover rate then, or is there an other reason why it's especially beneficial for a UV sterilizer as supposed to other equipment to be plumed directly to the display tank? What are your thoughts

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the moderator. My references were removed. Will you please also remove the reactions and reply involved as the information may not be published without the references due to publication rights of the information used.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we use 3/4 inch or 2 inch ?

Niels V

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we use 3/4 inch or 2 inch ?

Things to consider; The bigger the diameter of the piping the less resistance for the pump. If you use a lower gph pump the diameter is more important as supposed to a bigger pump which you can ramp up (to a certain extent). Likewise what will be the intended purpose of the UV sterilizer; lower flow rate is needed to combat fish parasites and a higher flow for algae and bacterial sterilization.

In an older thread Dwest has a nice picture of his Aqua UV 57 Watt plumbed. Maybe he could point you in the right direction.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I mount this UV sterilizer horizontally? When I need to change the quartz sleeve the water from the unit pours out.

Is there a way to plumb it horizontally so all the water will escape before you change the bulb? I know plumbing it vertically will guarantee no floods when changing bulb/etc, but my area doesn’t allow a vertical plumb unless it’s down in my sump.

77D389CA-49B5-4210-B558-8A727BB8CD72.jpeg

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I mount this UV sterilizer horizontally? When I need to change the quartz sleeve the water from the unit pours out.

Is there a way to plumb it horizontally so all the water will escape before you change the bulb? I know plumbing it vertically will guarantee no floods when changing bulb/etc, but my area doesn’t allow a vertical plumb unless it’s down in my sump.

77D389CA-49B5-4210-B558-8A727BB8CD72.jpeg
Check with the manufacturer.
Standard UV units are made for horizontal use and my not be used vertical. Units which can be used vertical must be equipped with a suitable lamp.
Units with pellet amalgaam UV lamps are very effective both ways, horizontal and vertical.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with the manufacturer.
Standard UV units are made for horizontal use and my not be used vertical. Units which can be used vertical must be equipped with a suitable lamp.
Units with pellet amalgaam UV lamps are very effective both ways, horizontal and vertical.
The manufacturer recommends horizontal, which is great, but how do you prevent the water from escaping when you untwist the unit for bulb changes?

Seems like the best way is down in the sump and use a bucket under the opening when servicing.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer recommends horizontal, which is great, but how do you prevent the water from escaping when you untwist the unit for bulb changes?

Seems like the best way is down in the sump and use a bucket under the opening when servicing.
the unit should be placed between two closable valves. When a third adjustable valve is used for a bypass (to regulate the flow through the unit) it is not necessary to interrupt the circulation to remove the unit.
If you don't want to waste a drop of water, you must install a drain point to drain the unit before disassembling it. But usually you can just catch the water on the quick coupling when it is loosened. Some units have a drain point already installed.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back