UV sterilizer RS reefer 170

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I want to add a uv sterilizer to my Redsea reefer 170. Is anyone here running one on the same tank? If so would you share your setup? The tank is right next to our bed so noise is a concern. I'm thinking about an aqua uv advantage 15 Watt inline plumbed into the return hose but not sure if this is the best method. Tank runs a little warmer than ideal in the summer so that's a plus for being inline rather than adding a second pump. I'm just not sure how I would go about plumbing it in. Maybe silicone hose with some plastic elbows? The Braided nylon hose on the return now is very noisy if anything is touching it like an electric cord even. It's silent otherwise.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I want to add a uv sterilizer to my Redsea reefer 170. Is anyone here running one on the same tank? If so would you share your setup? The tank is right next to our bed so noise is a concern. I'm thinking about an aqua uv advantage 15 Watt inline plumbed into the return hose but not sure if this is the best method. Tank runs a little warmer than ideal in the summer so that's a plus for being inline rather than adding a second pump. I'm just not sure how I would go about plumbing it in. Maybe silicone hose with some plastic elbows? The Braided nylon hose on the return now is very noisy if anything is touching it like an electric cord even. It's silent otherwise.
I am. It's in build thread.

Went the route you're planning on. Great success - took care of a long term dino issue I had and I've never looked back. Since I'm space limited it also eases my mind on not quarantining since the 15 watt at a normal 200 gph or so flow rate has enough exposure to help with pathogens. Just changed out the bulb at the 15 month point a month or two ago so fairly long term use now.

UV install and dino battle

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks quietman. Love the idea of that grate thingy to have to hang stuff from. I ended up screwing a hook in to hang my grow light from. The grate would have been much better. Good to see the same uv in use that I'm looking at.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silicone hose with some plastic couplers/reducers. I have UVs on two tanks that go from return pump to UV - UV to return. I'm running a classic 25 on a reefer 350 and a coral view twist 18W on the reefer 170. 18W is definitely oversized on the 170 but it cleared up a bacterial bloom completely in 24 hours. I've never seen water so clear.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back