V tail grouper/hind grouper help!

Jacob64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a v tail grouper and rock hind grouper to my tank, the v-tail is chasing the hind all around the tank. I have about 120lbs of live rock with plenty of hiding places, they are pretty much the same size. The hind hangs out at the top of my tank only occasionally coming down, but the v tail only slows down on chasing after I feed them hevily. There both still eating plenty of food, but this has been going on for about a week now. There tankmates are a large foxface and yellow tang who they haven't bothered. Is there anything I can do so they they may get along better? Any advice would be appreciated! They are in a 150gal tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove 1. They are both territorial toward related species, and the tank isn't big enough for the both of them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to disagree. Should be in no less than like a 210g, for the extra length and depth.They get around a foot long and need rock to hide in which a 150 just lacks in space.
There are a few different 150g. Most are 18zl-24" front to back. The 210 you say is necessary is only 24" front to back.

Groupers also aren't very active, prefering to stay in or near their cave, so they don't need as much side to side swimming space as comparably sized fish.

OP
OP
Jacob64

Jacob64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the input, I need to take one out my hind is deathly afraid of my v tail. I'm going to keep one once it gets to big I'll get a bigger tank (have 3 to sell w sumps canopy etc.) I managed to catch my v tail on a sabiki and shrimp he's currently in my sump for the night until I bring one back to the store tomorrow. Next question is which one would be best to keep? Does anyone know which stays smaller and less aggressive? V tail already tried to swallow my goby which I figured was coming. Also I believe this is a rock hind just comparing to pictures, store didn't really tell me much so If anyone knows that'd be great!

IMG_0663.JPG

OP
OP
Jacob64

Jacob64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have tons of rock to hide in, the hind usually hangs out behind my sump overflow on the left, or behind the canister filter intake/outtake on the right

IMG_0815.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back